Fishing and group fishing stacks.

Fishing itself is a realy cool introduction to GW2, but the system with the Group fishing stacks that you can acumulate needs a serious rework. first of all, the time frame where you can loose the stacks if you leave the skiff for a few seconds is ludercristly small. when i am fishing in saitung, i can get the fishing tips buff for an hour. if that boon runs out i have to go to shore, and buy it again, but the fishing stacks are gone the time i get back to the skiff. that alone makes the hole experiance just frustrating. then there is the issue with closing maps. it takes about an hour to stack those 99 fishing stacks, and then your forced to change maps, and all that work is gone in an instand. In my opinion you should change the stack bonus to an ongoing boon, that lasts at least 1 or 2 minutes, and will stay if you mapchange. then the fihing tips boon, should be changed to a consumable. it is pritty much useless on other maps, exept saitung, because it takes an hour to get to the 99 stacks, and then the buff runs out and you have no chance to renew the buff, because the stacks get lost when you change the map. also, the buff should be buyable if you have made the heart at least once, and not every day. thats just frustrating, that you have to fish, to get the heart full, to get a buff to be better at fishing in the first place! thats just stupid!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Denise.8145 said:

when i am fishing in saitung, i can get the fishing tips buff for an hour. if that boon runs out i have to go to shore, and buy it again, but the fishing stacks are gone the time i get back to the skiff.

The max fishing power required for that map is 200 = rod + lure + bait. Why do you need to renew the fishing tip?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The 15 second timer is how long you have to keep a copy of the stacks, which are sourced from the skiff - as long as it's alive, jumping back on it will give you back your stacks. The skiff has its own 15 second timer - when it despawns, you have 15 seconds to summon it if you want to keep the stacks.

9 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

The max fishing power required for that map is 200 = rod + lure + bait. Why do you need to renew the fishing tip?

Fishing power is also magic find for fishing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

If you're fishing alone and a vet drake attacks you, just cross your fingers you can kill it with your masterwork underwater weapon and get out of combat in time and get in the skiff before you lose your stacks.

You can hit it a bit, board skiff, hit it a bit, board skiff. It's annoying as heck, but it'll make sure you don't lose your stacks.

I'd recommend getting an exotic weapon though, and setting some underwater skills.

20 hours ago, Denise.8145 said:

if that boon runs out i have to go to shore, and buy it again, but the fishing stacks are gone the time i get back to the skiff.

then there is the issue with closing maps. it takes about an hour to stack those 99 fishing stacks, and then your forced to change map

You can take your skiff right up to the edge where the heart vendor is, you have enough time to talk to the vendor and buy it and still get back to your skiff before it despawns. You also really should not need that buff unless you are fishing in Ring of Fire/Orr or something, you'll always have more than enough fishing power. Any food gives you +100 fishing power whilst on a skiff, the cheap fishing food gives an additional 150, this is worth way more than the tips on fishing.

You do not have to swap map when the pop-up appears, you can stay there the full hour until it is closed. It's still annoying, but you still get to use your stacks for an hour (and hopefully you'd catch all the fish you'd need in that time...).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Why not let it persist for a good five minutes, and across all maps?

You put in a significant time to stack it up, why not reap the benefit. You could even work your way up in power, starting in easier zones and moving to harder zones.

Some zones have small bodies of water with very few holes at them, it'd be nice to have enoug time to move between bodies of water.

I guess I don't get the gameplay point of quick decay on skiff stacks. How is it making fishing more fun? What are the abuses that are being curbed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

. You also really should not need that buff unless you are fishing in Ring of Fire/Orr or something, you'll always have more than enough fishing power. Any food gives you +100 fishing power whilst on a skiff, the cheap fishing food gives an additional 150, this is worth way more than the tips on fishing.

Fishing power is like Fishing Magic find and you whant every little bit you can get in order to fish for legendarys.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Has this been confirmed? Last I knew it was likely, but not definite.

Well in eigther case its like a condome. Better have it and don´t need to, then need it and don´t have it ^^

Edited by Denise.8145
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Denise.8145 said:

Well in eigther case its like a condome. Better have it and don´t need to, then need it and don´t have it ^^

Ah, I was hoping drop research or a dev had confirmed it.

But agreed that one might as well just in case.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

The thing is, it dos not matter in the end if the 50 bonus fishing power matter or not, or that you can get your stacks back if you have a friend on another skiff who can grab the stacks by hopping onto your skiff for a sec and then board his own skiff. the point is, that the system is overproportionetly benefitting fishing in groups and on the other hand punishing solo fishers with the map change force and only 15 sec decay timer. 

1 hour ago, Lottie.5370 said:

You do not have to swap map when the pop-up appears, you can stay there the full hour until it is closed. It's still annoying, but you still get to use your stacks for an hour (and hopefully you'd catch all the fish you'd need in that time...).

well, i was fishing, had about 20 stacks and the quote to change maps apeared....so i had to choose between, starting over on a fresh map, or staying and potentialy getting kicked out eventualy....i stayed, managed to get 99 stacks....and had enough time to fish exactly 5! fish before the map swapped on full fishing power.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Well, favoring groups does make sense. It’s called, “fishing party”, right?

Funny thing is, it doesn't actually encourage fishing in a party. You find someone with high stacks, copy it and go off alone - it's far faster to fish solo. If they wanted to encourage parties, fishing party should have boosted the catch speed whenever someone else caught a fish.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

Funny thing is, it doesn't actually encourage fishing in a party. You find someone with high stacks, copy it and go off alone - it's far faster to fish solo. If they wanted to encourage parties, fishing party should have boosted the catch speed whenever someone else caught a fish.

How do you copy it? If you are a guest in someone else's boat do you get the stacks when you spawn your own?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

How do you copy it? If you are a guest in someone else's boat do you get the stacks when you spawn your own?

Yes. When you step on a skiff, you're given a copy of the skiff's fishing party stacks. When you step off, you have a 15 second timer to summon a skiff to give your copy of the stacks to your own skiff. That's what that timer actually means - if you have the timer, you copy your stacks to your skiff, if you don't, your skiff copies its stacks to you.

2 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

Yes. When you step on a skiff, you're given a copy of the skiff's fishing party stacks. When you step off, you have a 15 second timer to summon a skiff to give your copy of the stacks to your own skiff. That's what that timer actually means - if you have the timer, you copy your stacks to your skiff, if you don't, your skiff copies its stacks to you.

Ah, I didn't realize that!  Thanks.

I've never seen people asking to hop onto each other's skiffs. I'll have to try it.

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 11:01 PM, Wolfb.7025 said:

If you're fishing alone and a vet drake attacks you, just cross your fingers you can kill it with your masterwork underwater weapon and get out of combat in time and get in the skiff before you lose your stacks.

I've never lost the stacks when near my skiff even when the timer runs out. Often I anchor the skiff then mount skyscale and ascend to go afk (habit) and when I come back the skiff's still there and I regain the stacks when I board it.
No idea if this is the way it's supposed to work but it always worked like this for me. I've also seen people say their skiff despawns when the timer runs out but that has never happened to me.

• 2 weeks later...

That 15 sec is way too short. 1 specific area on the river in Metrica province at Durolt Ground where the water gets too shallow so you have to get off and run to the other side. You lose your stack each time.  You need more then 15 sec to cross over while being attacked.  This is not the only spot like that either.

Also the Depth charge,  it does 0 damage all the time.  Why have it?

Most of the time when the skiff is attacked you cant tell, the damage does not show to get out of the way.

Fishing needs a lot of fixing. 😞

• Sad 1