They buffed Mechanist and did nothing to Untamed

Levetty.1279

Untamed is just designed wrong. Not trying to sound abrasive, but there is no other way to say it.

Until they overhaul the Hammer so it has competitive functionality, I have absolutely no desire to play a wonky class that's 4x harder to steer than a Core Ranger, that has absolutely no perks or advantages over just using the easier to steer Core Ranger.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Abyssisis.3971 said:

There “several approaches” on improving untamed = nerfing other ranger specs. There no justification on why soulbeast was hit with the nerf hammer other than simply making Untamed look better than it without having to actually improve untamed.

It is easier to nerf an existing elite than to actually do the work and fix the unplayed. Apparently. 

they have been working for 4 months into allowing to auto cast the pet skills ( as opposed to what we can currently do with normal skills).

How many resources are assigned  into fixing that garbage of a design? 20% of one dev time? Maybe the dev is doing it on his/her/their spare time as a personal project?

bad anet is bad. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

It is easier to nerf an existing elite than to actually do the work and fix the unplayed. Apparently. 

they have been working for 4 months into allowing to auto cast the pet skills ( as opposed to what we can currently do with normal skills).

How many resources are assigned  into fixing that garbage of a design? 20% of one dev time? Maybe the dev is doing it on his/her/their spare time as a personal project?

bad anet is bad. 

Do you really think having auto cast skills is going to work untamed? I don’t because it still tied to the shitbox pet ai.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Autocast  is a first step, at las not to be a downgrade from core. When you say “pet ai” you mean an script to cast the skill on cd. This game has no budget for an Ai, what you saying sounds so out of the blue…

No, I mean the way the pet actually interacts, chases targets, attempts to attack targets etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The real answer is probably no dev on the balance team actually plays Ranger or Untamed, or certainly not enough to care about it. The balance lead plays Mechanist though, so it gets buffed to the heavens with every ability and trait stacked beyond belief. Rangers have been begging for some sort of stat inheritance for their pets since day 1 and instead they gave it to Mechanist. They made a better Ranger as an elite spec for a different profession. I was playing Untamed but at this stage I'm just going to take that gear and put it on a Mechanist, there seems to be no point playing Ranger anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I'm going to be a little doom and gloom and say that untamed is solidified as what it is right now. 

The spirit revamp seems to be more useful for druid as the spirits now pulse boons on a 3 second cooldown passively. And most probably won't be moveable (like gyros at least) or useable in wvw, exactly like how it was years ago.

If the spirit revamp wasn't going to change untamed then nothing will. It was meant as a pvp spec. Specifically untamed was advertised as a front line wvw and a pvp team fighter, yet none of those roles have been fulfilled. As far as pvp goes, it more fulfills the roamer role which ranger already has 2 elite specs plus core that does that exact same thing. 

Untamed seems like another case of spell breaker, but at least a little better in pve.

By the way, the above reddit post above won't do a thing for untamed in any piece of content other than open world.

Badluck ranger mains!

• Like 1

Actually, auto-cast will fix 20-30% of what's wrong with Untamed IMO.  If the pet can keep up like it used to and be controllable, then there is no reason to use core anymore, because the untamed traitline is just better.

Right now, it's possible to solo PvE dungeons with Untamed, as well as open world champions, etc.  It effectively equals out to my druid in survivability; the only places these fall short are large metas where it's better to just run soulbeast and be perma merged.  I don't do group content like fractals or raids so cannot speak there.

I know they know the problem with untamed is it can't compare to soulbeast with power, which is why we're seeing the soulbeast nerfs.  I think that's the wrong call and a better call is just add more fury access / damage to untamed--because everything is power creeped now, makes no sense to down tune one spec to make the other palatable.  

In WvW, I can see bringing spirit untamed.  Boon duration can be super high already on untamed as can health, and can build in quite a bit of CC and still have room for spirits.  Won't be able to survive 5 on 1's like bunker druid and won't be able to one shot people from any distance like soulbeast, but it will have a place.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Actually, auto-cast will fix 20-30% of what's wrong with Untamed IMO.  If the pet can keep up like it used to and be controllable, then there is no reason to use core anymore, because the untamed traitline is just better.

No it fixes absolutely nothing. It won't make pets any better, just makes them more passive again, because of players too bad or lazy to press buttons. Might as well apply autocast to all skills, so players can now legally create their own bots and watch them playing. Seems to be the direction they are heading anyway.

I know they know the problem with untamed is it can't compare to soulbeast with power, which is why we're seeing the soulbeast nerfs.  I think that's the wrong call and a better call is just add more fury access / damage to untamed--because everything is power creeped now, makes no sense to down tune one spec to make the other palatable.

Yes, Untamed has lackluster dmg in PvE (and brings nothing else worthwile to the table). But adding more fury does nothing, you already can have perma uptime.

In WvW, I can see bringing spirit untamed.  Boon duration can be super high already on untamed as can health, and can build in quite a bit of CC and still have room for spirits.  Won't be able to survive 5 on 1's like bunker druid and won't be able to one shot people from any distance like soulbeast, but it will have a place. 

No, spirits are and will remain useless in any sort of PvP enviroment and in WvW even more so (and in their current iteration - they should be).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

No it fixes absolutely nothing. It won't make pets any better, just makes them more passive again, because of players too bad or lazy to press buttons. Might as well apply autocast to all skills, so players can now legally create their own bots and watch them playing. Seems to be the direction they are heading anyway.

Wat.  An immediate example is literally the smokescale opener does more DPS / utility on its own than you ever would trying to micromanage it 😂

There are certain skills that make no sense to try to manage or time better than AI would by itself.  That's just factual with how the design is, an always has been--because pets haven't changed since 2012 and back then F2 was all you had, the other skills were optimized to happen on their own.  Pet control/choice is an illusion in a lot of cases here. 

26 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Yes, Untamed has lackluster dmg in PvE (and brings nothing else worthwile to the table). But adding more fury does nothing, you already can have perma uptime.

Perma uptime by investing in Nature Magic, which is a direct DPS loss on all but boonbeast that can reap 25 might stacks constantly.  Aren't you forgetting the whole lynchpin of soulbeast damage outside burst is due to furious strength? Add something like that to untamed and watch what happens.

Also, untamed bringing nothing else worthwhile to the table is a bit of a stretch, I already gave examples of solo'ing pretty much anything in PvE with untamed.  Far easier and only slightly slower than if I go all out damage soulbeast.

31 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

No, spirits are and will remain useless in any sort of PvP enviroment and in WvW even more so (and in their current iteration - they should be).

Based on what exactly? Spirit untamed is an easy thing to see, and if you can't maybe you are complaining too much and should be theorycrafting more? 🥱

31 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Wat.  An immediate example is literally the smokescale opener does more DPS / utility on its own than you ever would trying to micromanage it 😂

There are certain skills that make no sense to try to manage or time better than AI would by itself.  That's just factual with how the design is, an always has been--because pets haven't changed since 2012 and back then F2 was all you had, the other skills were optimized to happen on their own.  Pet control/choice is an illusion in a lot of cases here. 

If you can't time skills better than a dumb ai that just uses stuff randomly on cd - i can see where you are comming from. But at that skill level balance is pretty irrelevant ...

Perma uptime by investing in Nature Magic, which is a direct DPS loss on all but boonbeast that can reap 25 might stacks constantly.  Aren't you forgetting the whole lynchpin of soulbeast damage outside burst is due to furious strength? Add something like that to untamed and watch what happens.

Also, untamed bringing nothing else worthwhile to the table is a bit of a stretch, I already gave examples of solo'ing pretty much anything in PvE with untamed.  Far easier and only slightly slower than if I go all out damage soulbeast.

First you talk about fury, now about might ... can you make up your mind? Fact is, (self) boons are pretty irrelevant in grp content - and that's where Untamed is lacking. Yes, it works just fine ow (and you can get perma fury solo on a full dps build easily) - so does anything else.

Based on what exactly? Spirit untamed is an easy thing to see, and if you can't maybe you are complaining too much and should be theorycrafting more? 🥱

Based on how many spirit builds are out there right now maybe? Changing their unique effects to passive boons (that are spit out by other classes anyway) does nothing to improve the viability.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907