Time for new forums

This current setup is standard issue these days more or less. If they did allow uploads of avatars and such they would need to police them pretty heavily. Which is why i assume that this game, warframe and elder scroll online all have preset forum avatars, along with others im sure but those are the ones i know about. 

Aka the usual: Can't have nice things since some would abuse it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

This current setup is standard issue these days more or less. If they did allow uploads of avatars and such they would need to police them pretty heavily. Which is why i assume that this game, warframe and elder scroll online all have preset forum avatars, along with others im sure but those are the ones i know about. 

I'd guess it's less to do with moderating and more to do with "wanting a certain atmosphere." Like for this game's forums, they appear to want an atmosphere like... hey, this is definitely the forums for guild wars 2 with its own very particularly appearance and visual style, step right in, have a discussion, get spammed with troll emojis, be beset upon on all sides for having a position about anything, get an infraction, leave and go to the subreddit, realize it's not much better, post less and less feedback and do other things with your time, come back when something really egregious shows up in patch notes and then remember it's a waste of time again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

True, the amount of policing you have to do for the avatar pictures and signatures is probably the main reason why this has become standard for many game forums.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Yep it definetly has nothing to do with meme posting.

Thought about this as well.

A lot of them are just funny, but many are quite offensive. Some look harmless, but can be interpreted as humiliating and discriminating. ANet has a special, liberal idea of how they want to appear in public. That makes the use of memes rather difficult. 

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
  • Like 1

I don't understand this, players constantly complain at the devs for not being professional, and then when they try to remain professional, that's bad too because its "curating a specific image".

You want them to be professional when it suits you, and relaxed when it suits you.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guide to not having to ask for new forums:

1. Don't make 90%-100% troll posts

2. Definitely don't make so many troll posts that even semi regular forum participants immediatly recognize who you are

3. If you have to change your account name because no one takes you seriously and even then people catch on to who you are, you are far past the point of new forums

4. (Personal opinion) no need for more clutter and useless images to distract from actual conversations. Keep that stuff to 4chan even more so if that idea comes from someone fitting points 1-3.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I preferred the Vanilla forums. There we could post images at least.

These forums support all that, its just disabled. I don't remember the exact reasons why they were disabled, but I recall some trolling going on when the new forums were first opened.

(We even had titles under our icons..)

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1