Mystic Coin acquisition

As far as I can tell, there is no non-time-gated way to obtain Mystic Coins and the most organic ways are some Fractal Daily chests? (possible drop), the one from ley-line anomaly, and a limited amount from PvP tournaments and WvW pip track.

Basically what I'm getting at is, unlike most materials (even t6, which aren't easy to come by, but have a variety of ways to work toward them) for the most part you're just going to be saving gold to buy Mystic Coins from other players. And that to me is off-putting design. Numerous legendaries require 250 of them (for Mystic Tribute) and that's on top of whatever amount of them you may need to Mystic Forge for Mystic Clovers. Much of the legendary process is pretty effective, in my view, at obfuscating the effort required, so you don't have to think about it as a huge slog, but Mystic Coins are something that sticks out like a sore thumb cause in the end, you're prob just going to be farming a lot of gold.

What I would like to see is for them to be more like t6 mats; more realistic to acquire them over time through regular play and more ways to get more here and there. I'm not asking for them to be easy to get, though I'm sure some will read the title and say that's what I'm asking for. I just want it to be like most materials, where the gold grind is not so transparent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 2

If you have enough gold to straight up spam legendaries, buying the mystic coins shouldn't be a problem either. If you don't have enough of gold to spam legendaries, the time-gate doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Even moreso when the price of them went from 2-2,5 g to 70-80 silver. Seems like it was supposed to be a self-balancing currency with a potential easy source of gold for new players and apparently after a certain event (or possibly two) they're self-balancing fairly well indeed.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Justine.6351 said:

You get them from logging in as monthly rewards or something. Just play the game and they will come. Also I would "recommend" you do some wvw to get clovers.

You get a total of 20 throughout the course of a 28 day daily cycle, yes. But that is not receiving them through gameplay, that's receiving them from logging in and is highly limited.

I've done WvW before, sometimes in part to get clovers. The tracks that give the most only give the higher number one time and after that, it becomes a lot slower.

I've looked into this in some detail. This isn't a post about not knowing where to get coins or clovers. 🤨

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

You get a total of 20 throughout the course of a 28 day daily cycle, yes. But that is not receiving them through gameplay, that's receiving them from logging in and is highly limited.

I've done WvW before, sometimes in part to get clovers. The tracks that give the most only give the higher number one time and after that, it becomes a lot slower.

I've looked into this in some detail. This isn't a post about not knowing where to get coins or clovers. 🤨

mystic forge daily (3-4 a month) and Eod strikes ( 40 a month)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They're already at like 40% of their price from before EoD.  I'd rather there not be a way to farm them which will just crash the price further.  All of this just so you can get whatever you need that requires them quicker but at the expense of those that enjoy having a steady income from login rewards.

• Like 5

I get what you're saying, but honestly there is no lack of "supply" of Mystic Coins. If anything, their value has been driven into the dirt. Just run some T4 fractals for liquid and then buy them with the gold you get. No time gating, and achieved through content. There's now barely any difference between Mystic Coins and other materials such a Vials of Powerful Blood. Both would take dumb amounts of time if you decided to gather them yourself.

As others have stated, you can get them through strikes, etc. as well, but those are weekly capped.

Edited by firedragon.8953
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Labjax.2465 said:

As far as I can tell, there is no non-time-gated way to obtain Mystic Coins and the most organic ways are some Fractal Daily chests? (possible drop), the one from ley-line anomaly, and a limited amount from PvP tournaments and WvW pip track.

Basically what I'm getting at is, unlike most materials (even t6, which aren't easy to come by, but have a variety of ways to work toward them)

The TP is not time gated.

Basically what I'm getting at is, unlike most materials (even t6, which aren't easy to come by, but have a variety of ways to work toward them) for the most part you're just going to be saving gold to buy Mystic Coins from other players. And that to me is off-putting design.

"stuff I don't like"/=Bad design
There is a sizable portion of players of this game (one may even venture the majority) who will never make a legendary weapon. For them, the mystic coins were a massive piece of their income. This income stream has been gutted now. All it took was a new generation of legendary weapons that didn't require a stack of them and half the mystic clovers.

A year ago people on this forum were screaming bloody murder at Anet for the price when they were hovering around 2g.
Now it's less than 25% what they were.
I doubt you're  going to get a whole lot of reasonable voices joining you leading the charge to drive them down further.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

These forums are depressingly predictable:

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

What I would like to see is for them to be more like t6 mats; more realistic to acquire them over time through regular play and more ways to get more here and there. I'm not asking for them to be easy to get, though I'm sure some will read the title and say that's what I'm asking for. I just want it to be like most materials, where the gold grind is not so transparent.

More than one person: you just want them to be easier to get! You want to hurt my and/or other people's login reward profits!

• Like 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

More than one person: you just want them to be easier to get! You want to hurt my and/or other people's login reward profits!

In the exact same quote you've just used: "What I would like to see is for them to be more like t6 mats; more realistic to acquire them over time through regular play and more ways to get more here and there" -it absolutely is realistic to acquire them over time through play here and there.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Explain how a new faucet will not drive down the price further (thereby hurting people who used them as income).
They are a trade-able resource.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Explain how a new faucet will not drive down the price further (thereby hurting people who used them as income).
They are a trade-able resource.

No. I stated what I'd like to see in this thread. I'm not going to put time into some analysis as to how exactly to reach it without hurting people who bought 200 accounts for login rewards because someone on the forums wants to argue with me in bad faith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 3

Just now, Labjax.2465 said:

No. I stated what I'd like to see in this thread. I'm not going to put time into some analysis as to how exactly to reach it without hurting people who bought 200 accounts for login rewards because someone on the forums wants to argue with me in bad faith.

That's a funny way of saying "I can't do it"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

They're already at like 40% of their price from before EoD.  I'd rather there not be a way to farm them which will just crash the price further.  All of this just so you can get whatever you need that requires them quicker but at the expense of those that enjoy having a steady income from login rewards.

lol wow didn't know they tanked so hard in price.

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

It is pretty horrific to contemplate the idea that people who play the game could get things somewhat faster and people who log in 20 alt accounts a day for login rewards could get things somewhat slower, isn't it. I'm always hearing on these forums about how people don't want to put in effort, etc., but you're in here straight up saying it's a bad idea because passive income will be hurt. At this point, I'm pretty sure I could make a thread with the same title and an opposite position and get the same people arguing with me for different reasons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

It is pretty horrific to contemplate the idea that people who play the game could get things somewhat faster and people who log in 20 alt accounts a day for login rewards could get things somewhat slower, isn't it. I'm always hearing on these forums about how people don't want to put in effort, etc., but you're in here straight up saying it's a bad idea because passive income will be hurt. At this point, I'm pretty sure I could make a thread with the same title and an opposite position and get the same people arguing with me for different reasons.

Maybe both sides have some validity? Not everything is black and white.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Justine.6351 said:

Maybe both sides have some validity? Not everything is black and white.

What are the sides? I made a thread simply saying I didn't like how most mystic coin acquisition comes down to gold farming and how I'd like it to feel more organic like other parts of legendary building. I never even said I wanted the cost to go down. In fact, I specifically said that wasn't what I was asking for and people still imposed that on me as a binary argument.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

The issue is that you want mystic coins easier to obtain so you can get whatever that you need with them quicker. This would reduce the passive income other players make and not just those with multiple accounts. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mythical.6315 said:

The issue is that you want mystic coins easier to obtain so you can get whatever that you need with them quicker. This would reduce the passive income other players make and not just those with multiple accounts. 

Yeah except I didn't actually say that's what I wanted. Reading the OP instead of just responding to the thread title would tell you that.

When I sarcastically said that's pretty horrific, I was pointing at the absurdity of you saying that it would be a bad thing if something was easier to get through gameplay because people not playing the game would get less.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Yeah except I didn't actually say that's what I wanted. Reading the OP instead of just responding to the thread title would tell you that.

When I sarcastically said that's pretty horrific, I was pointing at the absurdity of you saying that it would be a bad thing if something was easier to get through gameplay because people not playing the game would get less.

It’s actually exactly what you want. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

What are the sides? I made a thread simply saying I didn't like how most mystic coin acquisition comes down to gold farming and how I'd like it to feel more organic like other parts of legendary building.

I can honestly tell you that my acquisition rates of t6 mats lately is actually slower than the acquisition of MCs. Sure, i can farm them, and i get larger amounts of them, but at the same time i also need more of them. At the end of the day, acquisition of t6's is also primarily based on gold farming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2