Central Tryian Pets for Soulbeast

Bladeheart.8369

Before I returned to the game the various expansions came out and I am beginning to familiarize myself with them.
Currently I am playing my ranger and have selected Soulbeast as my specialization. However,  I have yet to sufficiently explore the new areas in the expansions to acquire any of the new pets, etc.
So, my question is does anyone have any recommendations as to which pets from the Central Tyria selection would be good to start with?

Many thanks.

15 minutes ago, Bladeheart.8369 said:

Before I returned to the game the various expansions came out and I am beginning to familiarize myself with them.
Currently I am playing my ranger and have selected Soulbeast as my specialization. However,  I have yet to sufficiently explore the new areas in the expansions to acquire any of the new pets, etc.
So, my question is does anyone have any recommendations as to which pets from the Central Tyria selection would be good to start with?

Many thanks.

Assuming you play merged - for a power build ferocious pets are ideal, for condi deadly ones. For open world i also like versatile pets to be able to pull grps of mobs together and cleave them down (great especially in combination with axe offhand or traps). Good pet families in general are canines (mobility + cc), birds (mobility) and pigs (dmg + cc). For power you could also consider moas and for condi maybe spiders. So some examples for good core pets would be Red Moa, Hyena, Krytan Drakehound, Wolf, Hawk, Eagle, Raven, Warthog, Forest Spider, ...

• Like 5

Juvenile Siamoth is a nice one. to use

As it is a Stout pet it will increase your toughness by +200 and Vitality by +100

It also has Maul ability that hits twice whether or not you are merged or unmerged. Couple that with the Greatsword Maul (and refresh with Hilt bash) and you are looking at hitting a target with 4 Mauls in very quick succession - thats a lot of damage.

Good advice from UmbraNoctis.

I'd say pet usage depends on your needs and preferences. Lynx is still likely the highest dps pet for condi spec. When needed I use Murellow as my tank pet and Shark for underwater combat.
Haven't looked up power spec pets in a while but Tiger was recommended in the past, tho that is from the HoT expansion. Arctodus could work here similar to murellow as tank pet.

• Like 1

Depending on your build there are so many options.

If you're running the beastmaster traitline a great pet is one you can actually start with, Melandru Stalker.

With Heal as One, Mighty Roar and Axe 1 + WH 5 it is effortless to solo stack to 25 might, with Fury and Swiftness on both you and pet, and with enough concentration on your build you can pretty much maintain it more or less constantly through most encounters, as well as quickly replace it if it drops off.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Depending on your build there are so many options.

If you're running the beastmaster traitline a great pet is one you can actually start with, Melandru Stalker.

With Heal as One, Mighty Roar and Axe 1 + WH 5 it is effortless to solo stack to 25 might, with Fury and Swiftness on both you and pet, and with enough concentration on your build you can pretty much maintain it more or less constantly through most encounters, as well as quickly replace it if it drops off.

The problem with this is that Mighty Roar takes 3 s to cast and it means you won't be merged which is a dmg loss and even when merged the pet is not great, so you are better off merging with a better pet and smashing everything immediately than wasting all that time buffing (and that pet isn't even necessary to stack and maintain might on soulbeast).

24 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

For Poison Master Soulbeast, Murellow is ideal. Its the only spec I'd suggest running if you aren't experienced in the expansions, as there's a huge difficulty leap.

No, it is not "ideal". Bears in general offer nothing but additional tankyness - which shouldn't be needed for most content, especially on something like a tanky condi soulbeast.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Confused 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:39 PM, Bladeheart.8369 said:

It really depends on the build you play, whether it's Power or Condition, etc.

I'd recommend you check out the most popular GW2 meta build websites to see which pets fit which builds:
https://metabattle.com (all game modes)
https://snowcrows.com/ (Raids and Strikes)
https://discretize.eu/builds/ (Fractals)

Edited by Ashantara.8731