Does the loot for me ever going to improve or not?

27 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Not everyone plays that way. Nobody in my small circle does, so I imagine others don't as well. We just play the game for fun, knowing that our gold and drops go towards future rewards -- crafting ascended and legendary gear, among others.

Same with my small circle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/26/2022 at 2:20 AM, The Boz.2038 said:

Some "people" really like to just lie about their luck and shove others' faces into it.

Meanwhile I've gotten some of the most questionable "luck".

Threw 5 rares into the forge and got one of the Halloween weapon skins but it was the dagger 😞

Opened a piece unid gear for a precursor but it was Rage 🤬

Even "lucky" isn't necessarily all that valuable in this game.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Meanwhile I've gotten some of the most questionable "luck".

Threw 5 rares into the forge and got one of the Halloween weapon skins but it was the dagger 😞

Opened a piece unid gear for a precursor but it was Rage 🤬

Even "lucky" isn't necessarily all that valuable in this game.

How do you forge 5 rares in the forge when there is 4 slots?

OP has a valid point in relation to legendary armor access for a primarily PvE centric casual player.  If you pull those elitest gamer heads out of their arses and just do the math, they are nearly unobtainable for a casual.

Using the calculations and calculators from the wiki:

WvW Triumphant Hero's armor (the cheaper one) costs 7880 claim tickets. Using the calculator, if you spend 4 hours a week in WvW, it will take you about 188 weeks (3 years 8 months), or 2833 hours in your non-primary game mode to get a full set.

PVP armor costs 300 league tickets and 3600 Ascended Shards of Glory. This is between 5440 and 6330 pips, depending on how well you play, and how many seasons it takes to get your pips. Using the formula in the wiki:
(games required) = (pips required) / [A + (7 x B) + C + (2 x D) + 3]
A = rank bonus. casual, so 0
B = win rate. casual, so conservatively 25% or 0.25
C = top stats rate. casual, so conservatively 20% or 0.2
D = near victory rate. casual so conservatively 10% or 0.1
This  puts you at between 2530 and 2944 PVP matches. caveat: this assumes you never improve in that time, but I do not have a formula to quantify average player skill increase over X number of getting your tookus kicked in competitive play hour after hour. 

Raids (so called PvE) armor costs 150 Legendary Insights for the first set you get. This is the easiest and fastest to get, but that does not mean simple and painless. The bare minimum is 5 weeks of maxing out your weekly limit. If you happen to come across an elite group of players as a PUG, which let's be honest, is going to be impossible for a casual who does not have KP, you are looking at a minimum of 1 hour 40 minutes per clear/week. That is IF (massive big if) these elites don't kick the "filthy casual" from the party. In reality land, there is no possibility of a casual player getting a full set of PVP armor in that 8.5 hours of play spread over 5 weeks. And that is not even taking into account the hours of abuse you will suffer from the group, as there is no question that raids is the most toxic area of the entire game, and it is fairly common to find casuals getting trash-talked non-stop there.

Now, it would not be fair to outline the above without mentioning that you could pay players / guilds to carry you in WvW or Raids. At the current going rates though, that is somewhere between 5600 gold and 9750 gold for the WvW (at 30 gold per hour going rate) and about 8.7 hours of play per week for 22 weeks, or 6600 gold for Raid (at 1100 gold per full clear) and 2 hours-ish play per week for 5 weeks.   

And those prices are just for the game mode specific currencies needed. You have to add another 250 to 400 gold per piece (6 pieces) to craft them after. This brings the costs up an additional 1500 to 2400 gold to craft the set after you either play the modes you don't care to play for what seems an eternity or pay someone all that gold to carry you.  Casual players generally do not have 10,000 to 15,000 extra gold laying around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, DemonAtTheWheel.1804 said:

OP has a valid point in relation to legendary armor access for a primarily PvE centric casual player.  If you pull those elitest gamer heads out of their arses and just do the math, they are nearly unobtainable for a casual.

Using the calculations and calculators from the wiki:

WvW Triumphant Hero's armor (the cheaper one) costs 7880 claim tickets. Using the calculator, if you spend 4 hours a week in WvW, it will take you about 188 weeks (3 years 8 months), or 2833 hours in your non-primary game mode to get a full set.

PVP armor costs 300 league tickets and 3600 Ascended Shards of Glory. This is between 5440 and 6330 pips, depending on how well you play, and how many seasons it takes to get your pips. Using the formula in the wiki:
(games required) = (pips required) / [A + (7 x B) + C + (2 x D) + 3]
A = rank bonus. casual, so 0
B = win rate. casual, so conservatively 25% or 0.25
C = top stats rate. casual, so conservatively 20% or 0.2
D = near victory rate. casual so conservatively 10% or 0.1
This  puts you at between 2530 and 2944 PVP matches. caveat: this assumes you never improve in that time, but I do not have a formula to quantify average player skill increase over X number of getting your tookus kicked in competitive play hour after hour. 

Raids (so called PvE) armor costs 150 Legendary Insights for the first set you get. This is the easiest and fastest to get, but that does not mean simple and painless. The bare minimum is 5 weeks of maxing out your weekly limit. If you happen to come across an elite group of players as a PUG, which let's be honest, is going to be impossible for a casual who does not have KP, you are looking at a minimum of 1 hour 40 minutes per clear/week. That is IF (massive big if) these elites don't kick the "filthy casual" from the party. In reality land, there is no possibility of a casual player getting a full set of PVP armor in that 8.5 hours of play spread over 5 weeks. And that is not even taking into account the hours of abuse you will suffer from the group, as there is no question that raids is the most toxic area of the entire game, and it is fairly common to find casuals getting trash-talked non-stop there.

Now, it would not be fair to outline the above without mentioning that you could pay players / guilds to carry you in WvW or Raids. At the current going rates though, that is somewhere between 5600 gold and 9750 gold for the WvW (at 30 gold per hour going rate) and about 8.7 hours of play per week for 22 weeks, or 6600 gold for Raid (at 1100 gold per full clear) and 2 hours-ish play per week for 5 weeks.   

And those prices are just for the game mode specific currencies needed. You have to add another 250 to 400 gold per piece (6 pieces) to craft them after. This brings the costs up an additional 1500 to 2400 gold to craft the set after you either play the modes you don't care to play for what seems an eternity or pay someone all that gold to carry you.  Casual players generally do not have 10,000 to 15,000 extra gold laying around.

Then use exotic stat selecatble ones the verdant brink bladed boxes come to mind or ascended that can drop from alot of content with a very small % chance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Then use exotic stat selecatble ones the verdant brink bladed boxes come to mind or ascended that can drop from alot of content with a very small % chance.

that is more of an alternate workaround than a solution.

Legendary armor has two major advantages.... you can stat swap them, and you can share them via the armory across your account.

Stat swapping allows you to have a single set of armor configured for as many different builds as your character has without having to carry extra armor (in multiples of 6) around with you in your inventory as you roam around. 

The armory then means that if you have 2 or 3 characters that are heavy/medium/light, you don't need to aqcuire 2 to 6 sets of armor for each character.

Sure, you could have one of each armor set for each character, but are you going to carry nothing but armor around with you?

• Confused 1

Not to mention that each time they re-balance the classes it can change which armor is the new meta build. Casually looking through SnowCrows meta builds will tell you how often those have changed over the last 10 years.

Or, maybe you have been playing power or condi for years and want to try out healer.

With ascended, you have to pay to try out or alter your build. For legendary it is only a few clicks away.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/27/2022 at 8:28 AM, DeanBB.4268 said:

our gold and drops go towards future rewards -- crafting ascended and legendary gear, among others.

I have never understood the idea of a reward for work done being the ability to do more work. And to be clear, I am not using work in the same sense as going into my place of employment, but rather as the expenditure of effort. 

Glad that it feels rewarding for others, but just dont get it personally.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

What are you paying others for in pursuit of WvW legendary armor? There is almost nothing they can do to assist you.

Me? I am not.

From what I understand, you pay them 30g an hour to have someone to run a com tag with a squad large enough to have a shared participation slot that they assign to your character. You can then choose to follow the com / zerg around, or do your own thing, or find a quiet place in one of the bases to "run against a wall" (so you don't time out) and go afk.

Since it requires a 5 player group to get 1 participation share slot, the player you pay normally shares the gold with their guild mates that keep the group size up. 

Edited by DemonAtTheWheel.1804
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Zavijah.2695 said:

So "I'm a bad player" and "i hardly play", "I spend my money on hearthstone packs rather than here" and "i get no loot in GW2"

Could it be because you're new, don't know how to play your class, and hardly in the game? Just Maybe?

yes i am a fresh player from 2016, bought the game in 2012 and played 2 beta's. i know how to play my class, 27k dps on dummy, some raider put the right settings on it. i am not a bad player, but i have the age that real life have more priority's for me, work on my body for more muscle 🙂 many players (gamers) don't care about their weight and just game all day. i don't want to be a person like that. no i don't hate those ppl, why should i, but i just mention it. i see that often when someone is a professional gamer or professional in playing an instrument. they only worked to achieve being a professional. and about hardly playing yes after some time i played less, because no matter what you do, shatterer 2.0, pinata, dungeons, whatever event i do, all loot is junk loot. i just checked lfg for cantha events there was only soo won meta, but i nearly fall asleep so they can have a better focusing player then me. 

i am a person who spend money on games i like. sure i like gw2 sometimes more then other times, but sometimes a shiny drop makes me also happy instead of watching ppl's showoff everywhere and feeling to use my wallet for something. yesterday i bought the new dragon shoulders so 115gold less in wallet and have to save up again. and i am a loot player (gw2 loot it much worse compared to a hearthstone pack) 
the streamer i mentioned got her first expensive infusion after EIGHT years. 

• Confused 2

13 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

but sometimes a shiny drop makes me also happy instead of watching ppl's showoff everywhere and feeling to use my wallet for something

I can't really get a beat on what it is you want here. Are you saying you want to find more expensive drops, or more drops that look nice? 

If you're looking for things that look nice, then I would say that's a matter of opinion, because I happen to believe that there are many nice looking items you get from cheap loot drops. There are also collection items and craftables that look great too. If you're expecting them to throw in a bunch of Gemstone quality skins as common loot, then I think you're going to be disappointed for the foreseeable future. 

If you're just wanting expensive drops, then it's already been explained that the fact that they are rare is what makes them expensive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

I can't really get a beat on what it is you want here. Are you saying you want to find more expensive drops, or more drops that look nice? 

If you're looking for things that look nice, then I would say that's a matter of opinion, because I happen to believe that there are many nice looking items you get from cheap loot drops. There are also collection items and craftables that look great too. If you're expecting them to throw in a bunch of Gemstone quality skins as common loot, then I think you're going to be disappointed for the foreseeable future. 

If you're just wanting expensive drops, then it's already been explained that the fact that they are rare is what makes them expensive.

what I want is an expensive infusion drop to sell so I can enjoy a game instead of being busy for gold all day long. I have more to work on irl then making gold. And some ppl who got an expensive drop just won the lottery for playing like every other person. I don’t need good looking drops. And rare is no excuse. It’s called greed. The boxes of 4 winds say super rare. I think for my it’s toggled off so never a super rare will drop from it. Yes the game is sub free. But that makes it even harder to make gold. I think the subscription are the gems but not a forced one. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

streamer i mentioned got her first expensive infusion after EIGHT years

I agree that there can be room for exciting drops in the game in addition to slowly accumulating currencies, but the part I quoted there is kind of important. If that infusion was sufficiently common that everyone was getting them it would not be expensive. Common drops are worth a few copper, not hundreds or thousands of gold.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

what I want is an expensive infusion drop to sell so I can enjoy a game instead of being busy for gold all day long. I have more to work on irl then making gold. And some ppl who got an expensive drop just won the lottery for playing like every other person. I don’t need good looking drops. And rare is no excuse. It’s called greed. The boxes of 4 winds say super rare. I think for my it’s toggled off so never a super rare will drop from it. Yes the game is sub free. But that makes it even harder to make gold. I think the subscription are the gems but not a forced one. 

if a drop is common, its not expensive and everyone has it so it has no prestige so no-one wants it.    Subs have nothing to do with this really.  It actually reflects fashion in real life (and so ultimately human behaviour) 

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

if a drop is common, its not expensive and everyone has it so it has no prestige so no-one wants it.    Subs have nothing to do with this really.  It actually reflects fashion in real life (and so ultimately human behaviour) 

Subscriptions has to do with this. Anet don’t want every one have 100k gold because then everyone can convert gold to gems so they don’t get money anymore. In wow (what I quit because it was too addicted) there you go fish deviate fish or you farm a dungeons where an expensive item (can) drop. And the auction house is smaller and back then only specific per realm. Blizzard had income from subs so it doesn’t matter if someone have 1k gold or 100k if the person with 100k doesn’t pay sub then he can’t login. And yes you can buy sub with gold. When I left Wow I had 1 month sub in bank that I bought for 61k gold if I remember correct. In wow you can just farm pets (mini’s) cage them and sell them. 

and true. It’s like real life. But aren’t games meant to relaxing? Or does it has to feel as a second job? 

Edited by Holmindeboks.3490
  • Confused 3

35 minutes ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

Subscriptions has to do with this. Anet don’t want every one have 100k gold because then everyone can convert gold to gems so they don’t get money anymore. In wow (what I quit because it was too addicted) there you go fish deviate fish or you farm a dungeons where an expensive item (can) drop. And the auction house is smaller and back then only specific per realm. Blizzard had income from subs so it doesn’t matter if someone have 1k gold or 100k if the person with 100k doesn’t pay sub then he can’t login. And yes you can buy sub with gold. When I left Wow I had 1 month sub in bank that I bought for 61k gold if I remember correct. In wow you can just farm pets (mini’s) cage them and sell them. 

and true. It’s like real life. But aren’t games meant to relaxing? Or does it has to feel as a second job? 

Oh they still do worry not, Anet dont just pump gems into the game so people can turn their gold into gems.

Its other players that have to buy gems for cash and turn them into gold for the gem reserve ingame to fill up again.

3 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

what I want is an expensive infusion drop to sell so I can enjoy a game instead of being busy for gold all day long. I have more to work on irl then making gold. And some ppl who got an expensive drop just won the lottery for playing like every other person. I don’t need good looking drops. And rare is no excuse. It’s called greed

Alright, so it's clear you don't understand how supply and demand works and this is just a complaining that you haven't won the lottery thread.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

If everyone had 100k gold then no one could convert gold to gems. Anyone wanting gems would have to buy them with real money and would be unwilling to convert those gems to gold because they would already have plenty.

• Thanks 1