RAIDS, DISCORD, AND VOICE CHAT

Dear Arena Net,

Why doesn't GW2 have an official discord server???  Please, don't point out to me the "official" discord server for GW2, because, as it states, they are not, "affiliated with Guild Wars 2, or Arena Net directly......."    That 'official,' yet really unofficial discord server, changed it so that you had to verify your identity via phone.  I don't know who these people are.  There is not any fine print, disclosure, ect...  How do I know what they will do with my phone number........sell it to a 3rd party?  Send me a million texts? Phone calls?

Now, I know it probably is an unrealistic ask of GW2 to implement an in-game voice chat system, (although, other games have it), they could at least take ownership of an actual OFFICIAL discord server, so that it is available to all who want it, (and we can trust giving our phone numbers to).   I see more and more advertisements in the LFG that are asking discord, in order to do raids, to include, training raids.  The game is trying to make raids more accessible, but in my opinion, I believe there is not equal opportunity, or access to fast, easy, verbal communication, and this is excluding players, therefore, a determent to making raids more accessible.  Fact, it is extremely difficult to play, and type, with certain content in GW2.....the days of 2 dimension, flash games.....is gone!  Get up to date! Get with the times!  Get affiliated with an official discord server, please!!  (This is not a rallying cry for players to join that 'official,' but not official discord server!!!!)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I wouldn't say Discord exactly but some sort of an ability to voice chat system would be neat.
I personally like Discord as my guild has the ability to voice chat , different channels with info and it helps with order when you have a guild.

Discord has it's advantages as it can serve as a guild hub / forum while also providing the voice option. 

However, I'd never use it just for the voice feature since there are many better alternatives out there.

And for why there's no ingame voice chat or some kind of officialy supported voice chat- there was a thread about that already not long ago, I'm sure you can find it.

A discord server can have max 500K members and Guild Wars 2 has around 16M accounts. So that's not going to fit. And I don't see many advantages of a official centralized discord server. It probably gets overcrowded, needs heavy moderation and still relies on a 3rd party service.

I would opt for either relying on guild discord servers or updating GW2 for in-client voice support.

• Like 1

From my understanding, the administrator of a discord server has access to member ip addresses, (who knows what else). Discord is extremely intrusive, and can pinpoint you to your exact town.  It is risky business on discord, and worse to be indiscriminate in what servers you join.

8 minutes ago, HeIIica.2945 said:

Discord is intrusive

Everything is more or less nowadays. I wouldnt say its EXTREMELY intrusive tho, its not Genshin Impact or Tiktok level, scanning your whole device.
Phone numbers used to be a big no-no, until typing your phone number on PC made setting up the phone app much faster / easier (/verify you dont create tons of accounts).
If you're really that worried about IP addresses in general anyway, get a VPN.

On your main point, I think you profoundly dont understand Discord and/or raids.  
Every single official Discord I've seen are a nest for 2 things only :
- Complaints
- Early game questions repeated on loop

If you're gonna raid, you want a calm, clean, smaller community. As a group leader, you need to make sure that you have control over that environnement so only people participating are in the call, can move out those that arent in, or even mute someone who's raging if necessary. Basically keeping clear comms as much as possible so you can explain strats / hear calls without any problems. You can't do any of this in a giant, public discord.
I understand its a bit annoying to join many Discord and be spammed with notifications at first (you can mute those), but eventually you might find a group you wanna stick with 🙂

(also Official X doesn't mean it'll gather the attention. This is the official forum, yet has way less traffic (/devs casual answers) than gw2's subreddit.)

On 8/5/2022 at 6:04 AM, Dean.3056 said:

I wouldn't say Discord exactly but some sort of an ability to voice chat system would be neat.
I personally like Discord as my guild has the ability to voice chat , different channels with info and it helps with order when you have a guild.

1. The game has support for Mumble, which is way better than Discord as it has positional audio.

2. No in-game voicechat please, I don't need players telling me how much I suck in voice. Just dealing with the text in PvP is bad enough and many of us usually turn that off too.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Taclism.2406 said:

Everything is more or less nowadays. I wouldnt say its EXTREMELY intrusive tho, its not Genshin Impact or Tiktok level, scanning your whole device.
Phone numbers used to be a big no-no, until typing your phone number on PC made setting up the phone app much faster / easier (/verify you dont create tons of accounts).
If you're really that worried about IP addresses in general anyway, get a VPN.

On your main point, I think you profoundly dont understand Discord and/or raids.  
Every single official Discord I've seen are a nest for 2 things only :
- Complaints
- Early game questions repeated on loop

If you're gonna raid, you want a calm, clean, smaller community. As a group leader, you need to make sure that you have control over that environnement so only people participating are in the call, can move out those that arent in, or even mute someone who's raging if necessary. Basically keeping clear comms as much as possible so you can explain strats / hear calls without any problems. You can't do any of this in a giant, public discord.
I understand its a bit annoying to join many Discord and be spammed with notifications at first (you can mute those), but eventually you might find a group you wanna stick with 🙂

(also Official X doesn't mean it'll gather the attention. This is the official forum, yet has way less traffic (/devs casual answers) than gw2's subreddit.)

Discord logs private conversations in plain text to be send to Discord itself. Says everything you need to know why not use it

17 hours ago, HeIIica.2945 said:

From my understanding, the administrator of a discord server has access to member ip addresses, (who knows what else). Discord is extremely intrusive, and can pinpoint you to your exact town.  It is risky business on discord, and worse to be indiscriminate in what servers you join.

Nobody but the Discord team can see your IP address unless you clicked something you shouldn’t have.