Anniversary sale 2022 [Merged]

10 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

From the News Blog:

As is traditional, we’ll also have a wide range of Gem Store sales to celebrate the anniversary, and maybe even a few freebies to collect (spoiler: mount skin).

Great, really enticing for new players to have to pay a $100 and then they can splurge on the cash shop on sales and a $25 steam pack because $100 wasn't enough yet as an investment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

For the confused individual. Think of it as the game of the year edition. Old content selling only some of the DLC for over $100 a year after release is bunk. Why should people expect it for 10 year old content?  You don't pay full price for a 10 year old TV - you actually just don't buy it.  If ANet wants to entice players it should be under $100 for all content (and probably less than $50 tbh). They can make money on cosmetics, utilities, and the like.

Edit:  Also, it is advertised on steam as the "Complete Collection."

Edited by Metaljaw.6437
  • Confused 4

Yeah, a 50% off sale for at least path of fire or a "Return of living seasons week. Each week, 1 highlighted chapter each week will be free each week, up to a whole year rotating between each episode to welcome new players back into the game!" like last week, or a living season highlight where perhaps, each player could choose 1 chronological season unlock per 2 weeks they played as a login reward or at least on the 28th day login chest could be nice. 

I mean some might call it greedy, but someone would need to literally play for 5 years straight to get content other players got for free. Not lapsed, Consecutively logging in for 5 years for 40-50$ of content. It'd at least trickle feed and might even invest more players into the game to come back at least? but who knows. 

At least i hope a sale comes at the very least, i mean the only 1 time a living world goes on sale is usually in march and i already have ls4 but i've been waiting to buy icebrood and the rest of non ls3:3 forever just to see if it was worth the wait. 

Edited by Sunchaser.9854
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/24/2022 at 2:28 PM, Miragen.6127 said:

Great, really enticing for new players to have to pay a $100 and then they can splurge on the cash shop on sales and a $25 steam pack because $100 wasn't enough yet as an investment.

Confused reactions to this are funny given that it's absolutely true lol. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

49 minutes ago, Metaljaw.6437 said:

For the confused individual. Think of it as the game of the year edition. Old content selling only some of the DLC for over $100 a year after release is bunk. Why should people expect it for 10 year old content?  You don't pay full price for a 10 year old TV - you actually just don't buy it.  If ANet wants to entice players it should be under $100 for all content (and probably less than $50 tbh). They can make money on cosmetics, utilities, and the like.

Edit:  Also, it is advertised on steam as the "Complete Collection."

Well, you do realise that the full price is more around 200$ if not more and that this 100$ bundle you called full price is already the results of multiple reduction due to it being old content ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Well, you do realise that the full price is more around 200$ if not more and that this 100$ bundle you called full price is already the results of multiple reduction due to it being old content ?

Not really HoT+PoF have been 50% off multiple times. LW has been usually 30% off during anniversary sales multiple times. If you add this up it should be only like $80. $100 for everything is okay, but for the anniversary there should have been a 1 week 20% launch discount on Steam and LW should be 30% off in the gem store. No sale kills all hype.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Core - Free for a while now.

HoT - Free with PoF for a while now.
PoF - Easily 25$ for it.  Current full price 29.99 for both PoF and HoT
Cantha - 29.99. 
SO charging FULL PRICE for both and $40 for the living story that is multiple years old that most people got for free anyway doesn't seem like a deal to me.  I wouldn't buy it if I was a new player looking at it on Steam.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Thanks for confirming what I said, it's the results of multiple reductions that happened over time. 

If you say full price, you mean release price, so you have to take the release price for your comparison

You may not like it, but that's the truth

So $29.99 for core and all expansions is $120. Living world was free at launch. So $20 sale on a game 10 years old. Wooohooo!

• Confused 4

2 hours ago, Metaljaw.6437 said:

I don't get how games this old still think they can charge premium rates to new players. They are entering a community where they are the bottom of the barrel and everyone else is beyond well established.

Well established in terms of gold owned and QoL items? How does paying less in real money make up for that?

We had to pay full price for everything when we started out.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

I think they will end up making some discounts for the gemstore. You can forget about discounts on the game keys.

Imagine this. You are new, you spend a 100 on steam realease just to get slaped in the face 1 week later with 50% discount packs.

Peolpe will not be happy if they do this lol.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Metaljaw.6437 said:

I don't get how games this old still think they can charge premium rates to new players. They are entering a community where they are the bottom of the barrel and everyone else is beyond well established. Also yeah, where are the sales???

wow is older and they still charge a premium plus that 15 dollar a month sub fee. Age has nothing to do with it. In 30 years no mmos have changed much. The new ones out work the same as the old ones

Edited by Artemis.8034
  • Like 2

Worst anniversary sale that I experienced. I hoped for a sale for more items at once but this is embarrassing. I wanted to spend 50 to 100 euro in the ingame shop, but the discounts are so bad. The Steam bundle is good, sadly I already have the Items in it.

Hoped for something like 25% on all items or so.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

wow is older and they still charge a premium plus that 15 dollar a month sub fee. Age has nothing to do with it. In 30 years no mmos have changed much. The new ones out work the same as the old ones

All content WoW you can currently get for $15 a month, all expansions currently free, 50 character slots (each of which comes with the ability to have 450 item storage slots not including material storage). WoW doesn't charge for old expansions and neither has FF. And this is not even mentioning WoW gets more raid bosses and dungeons in a single expansion that GW has ever had over the entire 10 year period....

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

17 minutes ago, PancakeMix.9604 said:

All content WoW you can currently get for $15 a month, all expansions currently free, 50 character slots (each of which comes with the ability to have 450 item storage slots not including material storage). WoW doesn't charge for old expansions and neither has FF. And this is not even mentioning WoW gets more raid bosses and dungeons in a single expansion that GW has ever had over the entire 10 year period....

Well, the last expansion is the only relevant content in those games due to vertical progression and raid/dungeon are their main type of content, so hopefully they get more, the opposite would be kinda sad, since in gw2, it's simply a type of activity among others. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Well, the last expansion is the only relevant content in those games due to vertical progression and raid/dungeon are their main type of content, so hopefully they get more, the opposite would be kinda sad, since in gw2, it's simply a type of activity among others. 

Not true, at least for FF14. You can do old content scaled down in FF14. In WoW at least you can still go and farm all the old mounts which alone would cost hundreds of dollars in GW2. Plus FF14 has plenty to do other than raid. They just added an animal crossing side-game in the patch (Island Sanctuary).

GW2 just adds a bunch of maps with new events. They are nice, but they are way too easy... and when they make one that is actually engaging everyone complains and they nerf it into the ground. Plus every time they add new expansions/content it only gets harder to do them as it just spreads the dwindling player base ever thinner across the game making most content just not easily doable as they require large groups of players. Not really sustainable.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, PancakeMix.9604 said:

Not true, at least for FF14. You can do old content scaled down in FF14. In WoW at least you can still go and farm all the old mounts which alone would cost hundreds of dollars in GW2. Plus FF14 has plenty to do other than raid. They just added an animal crossing side-game in the patch (Island Sanctuary).

GW2 just adds a bunch of maps with new events. They are nice, but they are way too easy... and when they make one that is actually engaging everyone complains and they nerf it into the ground. Plus every time they add new expansions/content it only gets harder to do them as it just spreads the dwindling player base ever thinner across the game making most content just not easily doable as they require large groups of players. Not really sustainable.

You are right, it is a shame they can’t make content that is harder because every time a small group of the community spams  the forums with complaints. 
But most content doesn’t require large groups of players, only some meta events do and they are still done frequently. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Confused 1