Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam on Aug 23!

Steam link:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284210/Guild_Wars_2/

GW2.com announcement:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-tenth-anniversary-and-steam-launch-on-august-23/

Steam FAQ:
https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

Hall of Monuments rewards warning:
If you intended to get rewards from Guild Wars 1 into Guild Wars 2 via the Hall of Monuments (HoM) you should buy/create your Guild Wars 2 account via ArenaNet and not via Steam. According to the FAQ, Steam account do not support linking a Guild Wars 1 account for HoM rewards.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, killerkram.5129 said:

I read the FAQ section and it looks like Guild Wars 1 accounts will not be able to link to Steam Guild Wars 2 accounts. Does that mean GWAMM is impossible for Guild Wars 2 accounts that are created on steam? 

That’s how it reads to me. No GW1 account can link to a GW2 steam created account regardless of where that GW1 account was created. That rules out HoM rewards fr9m the original game.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, killerkram.5129 said:

I read the FAQ section and it looks like Guild Wars 1 accounts will not be able to link to Steam Guild Wars 2 accounts. Does that mean GWAMM is impossible for Guild Wars 2 accounts that are created on steam? 

Yes. That's what the FAQ says. I'm still interested if there is the possibility of Steam-created Guild Wars 1 accounts can be linked to Steam-created Guild Wars 2 accounts. The FAQ is not specific about this. But it looks like the Hall of Monuments is inaccessible to GW2 Steam accounts at all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Yes. That's what the FAQ says. I'm still interested if there is the possibility of Steam-created Guild Wars 1 accounts can be linked to Steam-created Guild Wars 2 accounts. The FAQ is not specific about this. But it looks like the Hall of Monuments is inaccessible to GW2 Steam accounts at all.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

However, if you have a Guild Wars 1 account that was created via Steam, you will be able to link it to an existing [non-Steam] Guild Wars 2/ArenaNet account that was created via the Guild Wars 2 website. Steps on how to link to an ArenaNet account can be located here: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230900328-Linking-your-Guild-Wars-Guild-Wars-2-Accounts.

So no HoM for Steam GW2 accounts.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I really like the prospect of many new players.😉 I just hope that Mesmers wont cause chaos with their portals, that would leave a bad impression. My second worry is that some people will surely try to make an alt account (since the Steam version will apparently have different account creation), hopefully it wont cause issues along the line and will be treated to prevent exploits.🤔

Can I link my Guild Wars 1 account to my Guild Wars 2 Steam account?
No, Guild Wars 1 accounts cannot be linked to a Guild Wars 2 account that was created via Steam. If your Guild Wars 2 account was created via Steam, you will not have the option to link a Guild Wars 1 account within the Account Management page of your ArenaNet account.

However, if you have a Guild Wars 1 account that was created via Steam, you will be able to link it to an existing [non-Steam] Guild Wars 2/ArenaNet account that was created via the Guild Wars 2 website. Steps on how to link to an ArenaNet account can be located here.

Sounds like no. If you have a Guild Wars 1 account created anywhere it cannot link to a Steam created Guild Wars 2 account. Only an Arenanet Guild Wars 2 account. This is an odd decision in my mind as completionists may not learn about GWAMM or these rewards for a VERY long time.

Edited by killerkram.5129
Adding quoted text
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OneHalf.1432 said:

I'm curious: are they planning the game release on Steam on the same day that the balance update patch??? 😮
Very brave action 🙈

Steam release, balance-update and 10-year-events at the 23rd.  What could possibly go wrong?   😉

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Probably that both releases will need attention of the devs after launch so it will be busy weeks for the studio then.

I guess I can see that. I just don't think it's any different than the balance patches released at the same time as any of the expansions or living world episodes. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I wish they would've fixed class balance before Steam launch.... Just look at how many posts are new players worried about picking a class. Before launch it would be ideal to make sure the basic character select isn't something that will cause them grief in the future. 

But I'll be there trying to help players navigate the current game state regardless, guys are doing great work in a lot of other areas. Most other areas actually. Excited to finally understand wtf actually happens in LWS1. Whatever you're doing for the majority of your team is amazing and you guys deserve a lot of praise, just get the balance team up to that standard and we're off to the races. 

Hoping for the best, but highlighting the worst.

• Confused 1