Here what you're saving from buying the complete collection- $0.00

Yeah it was nice they put the collection on sale, but the complete lack of any sale yet for a 10 year anniversary was surprising. Many new players seemed hyped up for gw2's big release in hopes of what we thought was advertising. But what they wanted or expected seemed to be regional pricing, steam deck support (399$ 16 gb ram gaming tablet), and guild wars 2 launch sales. (100$ entry is a lot to ask for a new player who only sees 2-4k gw2 steam players playing for a 10 year old title vs 10k player 8$ witcher, 105k player f2p tf2, 23k player 10$ skyrim, etc. ) 

Theoretically, with Living world on sale for 20-40% off with 20% off gem sales, the best possible theoretical price could have been 24-32$, and then 15$ + 30$ for the full expacs for 45$, You could have gotten the full gw2 collection with 69-75$ spent vs 100$ for all content, If there were any sales right now. (Steam anniversaries are some of the only few times a year that living seasons tend to go on sale. [bar march sales].

It's really odd that we haven't seen any sales when most anniversaries started a month earlier, and lasted a month, no less. ). The lack of sales is listed as a major pain point for new players trying the game and told if they buy just 1, they might not have the ability to buy the living seasons later on steam directly. As it's only sold in a 100$ collection instead of a 40$ addon that requires Pof+EoD to purchase.

And no 50$ eod + pof bundle for off sale purchasers is offered, only 30$ + 30$. So it's more expensive for them to start and a audience that while eager to try more games, is much more experienced to getting AAA games for free or 50-80% off on sales such as 80% off witcher 3 for 8$ vs 40$ or 75% off skyrim, 12.5$ vs 50$ etc.

Edited by Sunchaser.9854
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

£51.98 for the base game, HoT, PoF and EoD on Steam
4,160 gems for all 4 purchasable LW season bundles (season 1 is free). 800 gems costs £8.50 so that's £44.20
So that's £96.18 to buy everything.

Or £86.97 for the bundle. So it's £9.21 cheaper.

It's not much of a saving but it's something. I assume the 0% discount shown by Steam means it's not discounted from it's normal price on there. Although that doesn't mean much considering it's not possible to buy the Living World pack listed as part of the bundle separately.

It's also very slightly better than the old 'DIY' approach of buying the Ultimate Edition of the Collection (HoT + PoF + EoD) and using the 4,000 gems to buy the Living World. That costs £86.99 and 'only' includes 4,000 gems so you'd have to buy another 160 gems to get everything.

If it was up to me I'd have made it a bit cheaper, £80 maximum and advertised it as a discount over buying everything separately. But I don't know all the factors that went into the price, and I don't know how much control Anet have over how it's displayed on Steam.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

£51.98 for the base game, HoT, PoF and EoD on Steam
4,160 gems for all 4 purchasable LW season bundles (season 1 is free). 800 gems costs £8.50 so that's £44.20
So that's £96.18 to buy everything.

Or £86.97 for the bundle. So it's £9.21 cheaper.

It's not much of a saving but it's something. I assume the 0% discount shown by Steam means it's not discounted from it's normal price on there. Although that doesn't mean much considering it's not possible to buy the Living World pack listed as part of the bundle separately.

It's also very slightly better than the old 'DIY' approach of buying the Ultimate Edition of the Collection (HoT + PoF + EoD) and using the 4,000 gems to buy the Living World. That costs £86.99 and 'only' includes 4,000 gems so you'd have to buy another 160 gems to get everything.

If it was up to me I'd have made it a bit cheaper, £80 maximum and advertised it as a discount over buying everything separately. But I don't know all the factors that went into the price, and I don't know how much control Anet have over how it's displayed on Steam.

I wouldn't consider the forced 800 gem buy to be part of the complete price. Those extra 640 gems can be used for gem shop items that new players are going to want. You're pretty much saving 160 gems worth. That kind of a slap in the face if anything. They could have easily put a initial price on steam then discounted it before it released for sale. They just didn't want to.

You're right that Anet might not be making the calls on the business side. Which is most likely the case. Either way, this is not a good look thats for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

47 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

😕 really? Wow I was caught off guard when I seen this. Do you guys not want people to buy the game? This is what you call self sabotage.  This takes pinching pennies to a whole new level. 

It wasn’t about saving at all. It was about putting all expacs and living worlds out there to purchase up front rather than having that surprise after you bought the expacs that you still have to purchae living world. That is was one complaint new players had.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

It wasn’t about saving at all. It was about putting all expacs and living worlds out there to purchase up front rather than having that surprise after you bought the expacs that you still have to purchae living world. That is was one complaint new players had.

That's the issue. I'm not saying the lw shouldn't be included but as a bundle there is no discount. Usually in business, when you sell something in a bundle there is a deal/discount tied with it. That is not the case here. There is no budge in the price. There is zero incentive to buy the complete collection. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

That's the issue. I'm not saying the lw shouldn't be included but as a bundle there is no discount. Usually in business, when you sell something in a bundle there is a deal/discount tied with it. That is not the case here. There is no budge in the price. There is zero incentive to buy the complete collection. 

The incentive is that some people want to buy the entire game in one transaction. They especially don't want to buy a collection which implies it includes everything, like the one still on the main site which says it includes "everything you need to explore Tyria, a vast living world" and makes no mention of the fact that the parts specifically called the Living World are a separate purchase.

There's been many, many topics about that on this forum over the years. Not people asking for a discount but just asking for a way to actually get the entire game in one go.

Of course that won't be an incentive for everyone. Some won't want to commit to buying the entire game in one go, or will want a cheaper option and that's why the other versions are still available. But if someone knows they want the entire game and they just want to get on and buy it instead of having to track down all the separate bits and pieces (which is not always clear for a new player) they have that option. Even if they don't choose it at least having it there lets them know there is more to buy than just the 3 expansions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

The people who asked for for the ability to buy the entire game in one transaction surely are not the players on Steam, who don't even know what LW is.

They are the ones more likely to want to buy the game piece by piece, but that makes them ineligible to purchase that bundle and can not buy LW outside of the gem store at that point, so it's literally a deal for no one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The incentive is that some people want to buy the entire game in one transaction. They especially don't want to buy a collection which implies it includes everything, like the one still on the main site which says it includes "everything you need to explore Tyria, a vast living world" and makes no mention of the fact that the parts specifically called the Living World are a separate purchase.

There's been many, many topics about that on this forum over the years. Not people asking for a discount but just asking for a way to actually get the entire game in one go.

Of course that won't be an incentive for everyone. Some won't want to commit to buying the entire game in one go, or will want a cheaper option and that's why the other versions are still available. But if someone knows they want the entire game and they just want to get on and buy it instead of having to track down all the separate bits and pieces (which is not always clear for a new player) they have that option. Even if they don't choose it at least having it there lets them know there is more to buy than just the 3 expansions.

I agree that having it bundled is a good thing for new players but you think new players on steam are looking at that and seeing anything special? It's one of those situation where if you knew about the issue beforehand it appreciated but if not then its just normal. 

You want that incentive. That's how you get more people to buy the game then would have otherwise. Business wise, the best thing to have done was put a discount. Not only would it get more people to buy it but it would have also appear in the deal list in steam exposing it to more players. Right now you go on steam and you have no idea gw2 is there. You have to actively look for it. 

Edited by Beast Sos.1457
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

It's $50 for all expansions and $50 ($60 if you consider the forced 800 gem buy) So lets say $110 for everything without a discount.

If the goal is to maximize the displayed discount, it would be $125. The living world is $65 when purchased at 200 gems per episode; it's $52 with the 20% collection discount.

The actual amount saved would be $2 or $12 depending on if it comes with PoF and EoD ($30+$30) or the EoD collection ($50), which is $10 cheaper because it loses a shared slot + booster.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

The people who asked for for the ability to buy the entire game in one transaction surely are not the players on Steam, who don't even know what LW is.

They are the ones more likely to want to buy the game piece by piece, but that makes them ineligible to purchase that bundle and can not buy LW outside of the gem store at that point, so it's literally a deal for no one.

Exactly, It means nothing to steam players when they read that. It is something that is a hinderance when you buy the game and its not there but unnoticed when its added to the package. New players don't know the significance of it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Steam takes a cut from all purchases so ArenaNet is already losing money on the complete pack, even without putting a discount on it. Its really not that hard to understand.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Steam takes a cut from all purchases so ArenaNet is already losing money on the complete pack, even without putting a discount on it. Its really not that hard to understand.

Losing money? Every sale on steam is a sale they wouldnt have otherwise. How is that losing money? It's not like those players were going to come to the site to buy it if it wasn't on steam..."It's really not that hard to understand" 🙃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

That's very difficult to understand, how do they lose money on sales of a digital product that has no material cost, production cost, no shipping cost, no import/export and that exists in infinite amounts, not to mention sales that would not have happened otherwise?  

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

That's very difficult to understand, how do they lose money on sales of a digital product that has no material cost, production cost, no shipping cost, no import/export and that exists in infinite amounts, not to mention sales that would not have happened otherwise?  

They lose money because Steam takes a cut for using their storefront.  

• Confused 4

Steam Players are used to having Bundles being a discounted rate yes, but not all products are discounted when they are new to steam. The fact that base game is free and that Expansion 1+2 is bundled together instead of being a separate cost is already a huge discount. I see no problem here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Octavice.5019 said:

Steam Players are used to having Bundles being a discounted rate yes, but not all products are discounted when they are new to steam. The fact that base game is free and that Expansion 1+2 is bundled together instead of being a separate cost is already a huge discount. I see no problem here.

It's not a discount because those are the normal prices. Go look at the pricing on the site. The base game has been f2p for years now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

It's not a discount because those are the normal prices. Go look at the pricing on the site. The base game has been f2p for years now.

Imagine being that one guy who complains about buying a game at full price because his privileged wallet cant withhold the dollar to game content ratio to support the game developing community that he enjoys/uses often. Anet doesn't need to put the game on a big discount to get players, nor should they be forced to.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Octavice.5019 said:

Imagine being that one guy who complains about buying a game at full price because his privileged wallet cant withhold the dollar to game content ratio to support the game developing community that he enjoys/uses often. Anet doesn't need to put the game on a big discount to get players, nor should they be forced to.

It's a standard marketing tactic to have prices go down some over time to get more and more people. Full price (or close to it) for a 10 year old game (or 10 year old a lot of things, for that matter) is always going to be a hard sell. I don't know why some people act like it's a strange idea when it's what most companies do with most products most of the time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Miragen.6127 said:

Bro, what?

There are bigger problems than whats being addressed, you've heard of the regional pricing issues from other players. OP complaining about a bundle not being discounted is a huge slap in the face to those who have the regional pricing issues.

Anyways, peace out, I'm done with the entitled toxic people who stalk the online forums.

Edited by Octavice.5019
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

5 minutes ago, Octavice.5019 said:

There are bigger problems than whats being addressed, you've heard of the regional pricing issues from other players. OP complaining about a bundle not being discounted is a huge slap in the face to those who have the regional pricing issues.

Anyways, peace out, I'm done with the entitled toxic people who stalk the online forums.

Or maybe it's just that everything loses value over time and the price should reflect that, especially during special events people would expect discounts being offered to get new players to play, that's the whole point of the Steam release as it's of no interest to most veterans, except those who are going to abuse it.

But I guess my wallet just isn't privileged enough to understand. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1