Earning mount skins in game

On 9/8/2022 at 3:30 AM, Beast Sos.1457 said:

I agree 100%. It makes no sense to me that players are against having earnable mount skins from in game content. Its really mind boggling. No one is asking for them not to sell any in the gems store but certain content should have at least one skin for each mount, ie fractal mount set, raid mount set, strike mount set, world completion mount set, etc. The replay value would be amazing for the game. 

You are wrong and i disagree. 

I dont want my Guild Wars 2 to become nonstop dungeon, raid, boss grinding fiesta. I play world of warcraft and QUIT because they drop system is disgusting winning the lottery type system where you only have 0.1 chance to get mount drop. and some mount you can only kill once a week. no this is why i quit wow i dont want gw2 become wow. 

Grinding gold and get what you want and manage time to get is more good than farming nonstop for years . 

So you are wrong i dont want lottery system in gw2 thank you very much

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

13 hours ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

You are wrong and i disagree. 

I dont want my Guild Wars 2 to become nonstop dungeon, raid, boss grinding fiesta. I play world of warcraft and QUIT because they drop system is disgusting winning the lottery type system where you only have 0.1 chance to get mount drop. and some mount you can only kill once a week. no this is why i quit wow i dont want gw2 become wow. 

Grinding gold and get what you want and manage time to get is more good than farming nonstop for years . 

So you are wrong i dont want lottery system in gw2 thank you very much

No one is asking for the same loot system in WoW. Currency you gain from doing the content should able to be used to purchase the mount skin if you don't get lucky. That aligns more with the way loot works in Gw2. No one is asking for a 0.1% chance drop here. 

How is going out and grinding gold not a "grinding fiesta"? At least if mounts were unlocked from different content I wouldnt feel forced to constantly do the best gold farm. Sure I might have to do a dungeon I'm not a fan of x amount of times but better than doing the same gold farm for x amount of months/years. 

Edited by Beast Sos.1457
  • Like 1

I will admit I've been saying rare mount drops, though I think the 0.1% is excessive. My reasoning for that is just that it's a minimal effort way of creating rare mounts and drawing people back to content. If we are already asking ANet to add mounts they have worked on into the game for us to get for free (real money wise, not time/effort wise) then we shouldn't also be asking for quests for those mounts.

I've walked this back a bit, saying we can add them to  loot tables as rare drops AND to vendors for things like dungeon currency as bad luck protection. But the point really was that adding them to existing loot tables is PROBABLY easier than creating new content for them. I feel it almost certainly is but I don't know their engine, some engines are very weird.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 5:57 PM, Ashen.2907 said:

I haven't seen anyone suggest what should have its monetization increased to offset reduced monetization of one of the game's major sources of income.

Player Housing.

Players can make things for houses, earn things for their houses, and buy things for their houses. They could even go the ESO route of having some small houses you earn in game and big ones you buy on the shop.

"Radiant, this game doesn't have player housing".

I know but. I want it.

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

Player Housing.

Players can make things for houses, earn things for their houses, and buy things for their houses. They could even go the ESO route of having some small houses you earn in game and big ones you buy on the shop.

I know but. I want it.

So, if we multiply the existing monetization of player housing one hundred fold we end up with zero. Not an increase in existing monetization. If the suggestion in this thread is designed to reduce current income, and it most certainly is, then what currently should have its monetization increased to offset the loss? A $50 service charge to access any mounts earned in game? 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

Player Housing.

I know but. I want it.

And what stops people form asking for decorations for housing plots etc to be put in the game and not the gemstore in the future?

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Proof? 

I don't have "proof" because I don't have access to the monetization results of every game ever made but both ESO and FFXIV have EXTREMELY popular housing mechanics that are heavily monetized. ESO even gave everyone a free mansion way back when to encourage spending in the shop to get more things to furnish said mansion with. ESO is another buy to play game mind you, with an optional sub fee.

But let's not go down that rabbit hole, I just mentioned it to illustrate the point that ANet has options if they want to keep strong monetization going AND have in game rewards. This thread is about satisfying in game cosmetic rewards for doing in game activities. Specifically mount rewards.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I believe the argument that we CAN earn all these types of skins with gold to gems miss the point of posts like these. Yes, thankfully there is a way to get everything on the gem-store from gold, however It feels like some people lack the perspective from where other players are coming from.

The idea of earning a skin, regardless of armor, mount, weapon, etc etc, is not for the sole purpose of visuals and flare of said skin, it's the accomplishment and journey. There are players that enjoy doing content when they know they might get something cool to show off for doing said content.

Simply grinding gold and getting whatever skin you want defeats that purpose. Because that skin is perceived by others as A. Bought with real money or B. Bought with Gold. It doesn't carry a story or character behind it, like a title would. Yes some players enjoy having bragging rights. Just like when we brag about making a legendary in /map chat. And just as others brag about their gemstore items.

Now to answer some arguments,

Anet needs to make money somehow: Yes, it's a live game model, revenues must be met. However, in my opinion, I think Anet could still be in the clear by including a couple of mount skins with EXPANSIONS. Yes, a paid addition to the game. Revenue is made, so where is the harm for including a skin or two with the expansion, or a later update patch that requires the expansion. Of course they can still sell gemstore skins, but having one or two would really be fair I think, considering it would drop from paid content.

Some people don't want to grind: Fair enough, play like you want to play, but so what? Why cant some players get specific reward goals? Just as the game allows for a specific audience to be able to grind gold, convert and buy gemstore skins, why cant another specific audience be allowed a sliver of accommodation? Just like certain titles are locked behind harder content for a specific audience, can it not also be made the same for this example?

Grinding like other MMOs is daunting and soul-gutting: Agreed, the drop table for loot in certain MMOs are not for the feint of heart, but why are we assuming that to be the default? Can Anet not make design choices which diverge from that? Example being, either higher % drops, or currency drops to buy the loot from a vendor eventually if by chance it doesn't drop naturally.

Another point to add, by having interesting skins added to the loot table, you will increase player size into specific activities that might seem a bit dead, which helps newer players find groups to do content with, where they might not, and also make sure that said content stays alive.

This is just my perspective however, I am not admitting that I understand the ins and outs of the system, however I do like to discuss, and this is my discussion point 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/8/2022 at 1:22 AM, Linken.6345 said:

It is because we have seen how Anet implement mount skins in game already.

So pve would be equal or worse then this one and people think it is not worth spending dev resources on.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guildrider_Warclaw_Skin_Reward_Track

I think the main issue with that is that this reward track isn't there automatically but has to be unlocked by forking over 200 gold. That's pretty steep but mostly a lame gold sink. I mean, pay 200g, do the reward track and you get a warclaw skin. Then again, I just saw that you get 7 mystic clovers and 250 wvw claim tickets among other things, so I might just do that one after all. It's just that most people won't have 200g laying around.

On 9/7/2022 at 8:57 PM, Ashen.2907 said:

I haven't seen anyone suggest what should have its monetization increased to offset reduced monetization of one of the game's major sources of income.

Player retention and more appeal to the MMO crowd in turn possibly increasing player numbers. I believe that if the game had more cool armor/mount skins behind specific content in the game, more people would be attracted to the game and there would be higher player retention. I read someone say that "you can work and buy a beautiful painting but if you go out and actually paint it yourself, you get more satisfaction from it". I'm pretty sure I butchered what he said but it conveys the point. Gw2 feels like the former not the latter. 

Maybe I'm completely wrong but from what I see, the game turns off a lot of players because of the fact that you can't do x content to unlock y skin. Its more like you have to do x content to unlock w y and z. I understand that you can make gold almost doing everything in Gw2, which is great but to farm gold efficiently you would be doing the same content daily.  

Edit: Also don't forget, Anet was doing just fine before mount skins. 

Edited by Beast Sos.1457