More races..

Diablo DT.8295

I've thought of something that might be fun for something later... Everyone has been wanting new races, when not make Skritt, Quaggan, Tengu and Koda all playable. You could create a really cool story to follow each of them and how they worked in helping in their own ways. Like how they helped the commander. And their starting location could be Lion's Arch. Something that a few creative heads could do.. And it'd also give that steam launch an even greater success. We've had a lot of the same from classes and base story, adding this will make us understand more of where they came from and how they all made it there! I think it'd be a really cool idea, it'd give those veterans a way to really indulge on story again, and new players could get both the original and new content. It'd also open up more for mounts, new skills, heck even a new class or 2, it could create something that no other MMO has really done. Not like this. We could RP as all the toons we want, skins become even more useful, new models, heck it could give way to more dyes, more story, more of the map! We could have a lot of fun! I know this is a lot to read, and could probably be cleaned up by the right people, but hopefully it gets see so that maybe someone could implement it into the game, it'd be awesome to play as a Quaggan.. Heck if you really wanted to be silly, make Choya playable!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Only problem with new races is that ANet cant even make armor fit the races that they have currently. Armor only fits humans and norn, which is probably the only two races they really test armor on. Armor for the other races just doesnt fit the models, not even sylvari since the Warlord set clips on itself. So they're have to make all the old/current armor fit the new race they made, and they will never put in that sort of effort.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

"Everyone has been wanting new races"

I beg to differ.

Yeah I was going to post that as well. People just make assumptions based on what they want and mirror it onto the entire player base. But the reality is very different.

-------------------------------

To the OP:

More races will cost a crazy LOT of resources.  They would have to create new origin stories, capitals and starter zones. And also they would have to rework all the armor skins and outfits in the game to fit their physiques. Besides, I don't think that a whole lot of people would play those races as you suggest. So it's a lot of effort and resources for very little return imo.

• Like 2

Not sure how much it would cost, but I would definitely create new characters if races were added.  Kodan and Tengu seem fairly close to Norn/Charr shape for armours (obviously no clue how practically close they are), so they'd be my pick.

For the voice acting, I honestly wouldn't mind them just either (1) not doing it beyond adding some lines for out in the open world or (2) just adjusting the pitch/speed of another race and adjusting the relevant lines to fit.  I know it's imperfect, but the idea of redoing all of it is obviously way above reasonable expectations.

Story wise.  It'd be great to have some (I wouldn't put it in a new area, just add instances in existing locations).  If not, maybe just use the human story?  I might be forgetting something, but I don't remember there being much racially specific to it, apart from maybe the sister storyline (unlike the other race stories).

So yeah.  If the armour can be done efficiently, then I think this is a good way to guarantee character slot sales, and probably a lot of other cosmetics to match them.

7 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Kodan and Tengu seem fairly close to Norn/Charr shape for armours (obviously no clue how practically close they are), so they'd be my pick.

But then what would be the point of a new race if it is just a Charr or Norn with different heads? 

It's completely unnecessary from the content, voice acting and story point of view - the commander can simply have a new story and meet new Kodan/Tengu allies with new themed gear to get and there you go. Practically the same content without having to fit the 3000+ or whatever it is armor pieces that exist to the rigging of a new race which would be 80% similar to existing ones anyway.

2 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

But then what would be the point of a new race if it is just a Charr or Norn with different heads? 

It's completely unnecessary from the content, voice acting and story point of view - the commander can simply have a new story and meet new Kodan/Tengu allies with new themed gear to get and there you go. Practically the same content without having to fit the 3000+ or whatever it is armor pieces that exist to the rigging of a new race which would be 80% similar to existing ones anyway.

Same reason as all of the other character customisation and armour options.  This is Fashion Wars 2.  Plus roleplay.

1 hour ago, Galmac.4680 said:

One possibility are combat costume tonics, like the Aprils' Choya Combat tonic. One race with exactly one outfit, but fight skills from your original class. So you can play choya, tengu, skritt, centaurs… all creatures that could hold two weapons or one big.

I'm sure some people would enjoy this, but for me this definitely wouldn't be an adequate compromise.  Both from a fashion wars and a roleplaying perspective, this just doesn't bridge the gap.

• Sad 1

There is one possible way of how to bring new races to the game.

Make old stories accessible like how we play Caithe in LS2. No problem in voice acting then. Could use any old race commander voices. Update old armors and outfits to new race, can be made after expansion if no time.

New race is only thing i see that make next expansion interesting. We already have 3 of each class type. 3 elite specs, mounts, gliding fishing. New race and new weapon types are left. 

• Haha 1

I'm somewhat sure that the Kodan use the Norn rig (they even share a lot of the same battle animations) and Tengu share the charr rig, just in a different posture. I can't imagine that body armors being updated would be out of the range of feasibility, but helmets and boots... that might be a bigger issue with the animal faces lol.

Or they could do what Tera did when they released new classes (Reaper, Gunner, Brawler come to mind) and make literally every armor share the same 4-5 base skins. It's very boring and difficult to find uniqueness but if it's the race you want, it shouldn't matter. :V

Then there's the voice lines. Unless you don't mind a 'silent protagonist' ala LS1 and 2, I can't imagine they'd back-dub everything in the game for a new race. They'd need a male/female actor not just for English but *all* the supported languages. That's a LOT of dialogue.

• Thanks 1