Pure OW PvE idea for legendary armor

Solvar.7953

1 hour ago, disco.9302 said:

when can we expect this thread closed or merged with one of the other "legendary armour 2 hard 2 get" threads?😂

Why close the thread when there's so much interest in the topic? 10 pages worth, 8 users reading and 4.4k views when I checked a moment ago. Merging? Why? It will just make this topic have more pages.

If anyone thinks the issue has been discussed enough, then just move along and ignore it. And if anyone thinks all things that needs to be said has been said, also the same answer. Just ignore the thread. But obviously everyone who are participating are interested or they would not be here.

Let those who wants to keep discussing/debating it do so.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, disco.9302 said:

Fun and exciting are the same thing, they are in fact, synonyms. 

You would rather try to change the basic meanings of words of the English language than admit you're wrong.

I expected no less.

What are you talking about?  Fun and exciting are not synonyms.  I don't even know how to argue such a basic point.  But "relaxing" activities can be "fun", and relaxing and exciting are close to opposites...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I know "most lfgs requires kp", but that doesn't change anything from what I said in my post.

What OP said is quoted here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/121270-pure-pve-idea-for-legendary-armor/page/8/#comment-1755099

And explained here when you missed it the first time: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/121270-pure-pve-idea-for-legendary-armor/page/9/#comment-1755118

Okay, I had to dig through the thread to find the original claim you made.  So the order was:

On 9/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

For some reason there's that idea from some in here that if the player/new player can't instantly beeline into legendary no matter what, the game becomes somehow unplayable and they quit. 

Which you are saying this is an example of:

15 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Of course, I could grind that out, play raids (I've done a few, not to my liking anyways), or just not try for it.  But there are really not a lot of endgame goals - legendary items is one of the few ones out there.  Trying to force me into content I don't want to play will just result me playing a different game (and stop spending money on GW2).  Providing me a reasonable & enjoyable path to legendary armor is likely to keep me playing.

Nowhere is Solvar saying they want to instantly beeline into legendary armour no matter what.  Nor are they saying the game becomes unplayable.

They're saying "If I don't have an end game goal that is reasonable an enjoyable, I'll go play something else."  Which is a totally reasonable thing to say, and something the devs should absolutely take seriously.  Fun long term goals are vital in an MMO.

• Like 6
  • Confused 8

Just now, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

You literally have an easy mode for raids now that doesn't stop your collection from progressing AND you get one weekly LI from completing normal mode EoD strikes.

But did you not hear?
All that is boring! 
And we should have the fun and relaxing option of tagging world bosses to keep players playing!

• Like 7
  • Confused 4

10 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

What are you talking about?  Fun and exciting are not synonyms.  I don't even know how to argue such a basic point.  But "relaxing" activities can be "fun", and relaxing and exciting are close to opposites...

Have you tried looking for synonyms for fun? A simple Google search would show you that "excitement" is possibly the best match.

You would still rather attempt to invent new meanings to basic words than say you were wrong.

A little sad to see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

42 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Okay, I had to dig through the thread to find the original claim you made.  So the order was:

On 9/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

For some reason there's that idea from some in here that if the player/new player can't instantly beeline into legendary no matter what, the game becomes somehow unplayable and they quit. 

Which you are saying this is an example of:

15 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Of course, I could grind that out, play raids (I've done a few, not to my liking anyways), or just not try for it.  But there are really not a lot of endgame goals - legendary items is one of the few ones out there.  Trying to force me into content I don't want to play will just result me playing a different game (and stop spending money on GW2).  Providing me a reasonable & enjoyable path to legendary armor is likely to keep me playing.

Nowhere is Solvar saying they want to instantly beeline into legendary armour no matter what.  Nor are they saying the game becomes unplayable.

Oh, so now him saying that when he has 30 minutes to play, he wants to just tag a world boss and have that be an easy move towards leggy or the fact he says either he has leggy path he wants or he might as well quit isn't what I said because it didn't use the same wording? 😄 Good one.

42 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

They're saying "If I don't have an end game goal that is reasonable an enjoyable, I'll go play something else."  Which is a totally reasonable thing to say, and something the devs should absolutely take seriously.  Fun long term goals are vital in an MMO.

And as already said on the previous page:

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Then don't, slap world bosses (or whatever those hypothetical players want to do) in exotics, test builds in exotics, if you like a build, go for ascended gear (or don't, exotics ARE perfectly fine and a valid way to play the OW content), farm up gold, gems and so on. Just to give you the example of "I don't have too much time to play, but want a long term goal" long term goal.

"long term goal" isn't the automatic equivalent of "getting leggy gear (full or not)". If he can play 30 minutes and thinks going for leggy takes too long in wvw or is too hard/inconvenient in pve method, he can easly do a lot of other things that will still constitute of being a long term goal for him.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, disco.9302 said:

Have you tried looking for synonyms for fun? A simple Google search would show you that "excitement" is possibly the best match.

You would still rather attempt to invent new meanings to basic words than say you were wrong.

A little sad to see.

Okay, I'm honestly not going to argue further than this post here as this is silly.  That is not how synonyms work.

Fun things can be relaxing.  Relaxing things aren't exciting.  This is an utterly pointless discussion.

• Like 4
  • Confused 6

9 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Oh, so now him saying that when he has 30 minutes to play, he wants to just tag a world boss and have that be an easy move towards leggy or the fact he says either he has leggy path he wants or he might as well quit isn't what I said because it didn't use the same wording? 😄 Good one.

And as already said on the previous page:

"long term goal" isn't the automatic equivalent of "getting leggy gear (full or not)". If he can play 30 minutes and thinks going for leggy takes too long in wvw or is too hard/inconvenient in pve method, he can easly do a lot of other things that will still constitute of being a long term goal for him.

Okay I've already dug through pages to respond once, and I really find the quote splitting tiring so I'm going to leave this train of thought.

The OP was saying that in order to encourage them to play the game, they wanted long term goals that were reasonable and enjoyable to achieve.  That is a completely reasonable ask, and you can't dictate to someone what they should enjoy or consider a goal they want.

• Like 3
  • Confused 9

2 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

That is not how synonyms work.

Let me fix that for you.

"That's not how you think synonyms work"

Because you'd rather argue black was white than admit you're incorrect. 

On a sidenote, do you even know what you're arguing for? Relative to this topic your posts have so little consistency and coherence that one might say you're arguing for the sake of argument. But then again you're probably just looking for fun and relaxation 😉

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

The OP was saying that in order to encourage them to play the game, they wanted long term goals that were reasonable and enjoyable to achieve.  That is a completely reasonable ask, and you can't dictate to someone what they should enjoy or consider a goal they want.

I agree completely. However the OP also said that they consider 20 minutes play per week (again per week, not even per day) to be a part time job which he is not inclined to do. I do not think that is is a good idea to balance earning the game's top rewards around that level of commitment (or lack of same).

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Okay I've already dug through pages to respond once, and I really find the quote splitting tiring so I'm going to leave this train of thought.

And how is what I wrote as a long term goal supposed to be not reasonable? He plays for 30 minutes, he just wants to tag a world boss here and there or w/e. What's wrong with playing with exotics and then maaaaybe ascended gear? Pretty sure I've mentioned this multiple times (and so did other people) and somehow you consistently skip riiiight above it every time. 🙄

Coincidence? Maybe. Which is why I'm repeating it -benefit of the doubt and all that.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 7
  • Confused 3

35 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I agree completely. However the OP also said that they consider 20 minutes play per week (again per week, not even per day) to be a part time job which he is not inclined to do. I do not think that is is a good idea to balance earning the game's top rewards around that level of commitment (or lack of same).

I think we can be charitable and assume they meant 20 hours.  I base that on two things: (1) that's the starting length of time to max WvW tickets, depending on how well your server is doing and (2) that's roughly the hours for a part time job.

Obviously I could be wrong.

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Silent.6137 said:

Why close the thread when there's so much interest in the topic? 10 pages worth, 8 users reading and 4.4k views when I checked a moment ago. Merging? Why? It will just make this topic have more pages.

If anyone thinks the issue has been discussed enough, then just move along and ignore it. And if anyone thinks all things that needs to be said has been said, also the same answer. Just ignore the thread. But obviously everyone who are participating are interested or they would not be here.

Let those who wants to keep discussing/debating it do so.

There's nothing left to debate. It's all been said and reiterated. Broken record. Beating a dead horse.

The idea of giving away legendary armor for world bosses is not even trivial. It's literally not going to happen.

Edited by Bear.9568
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And how is what I wrote as a long term goal supposed to be not reasonable? He plays for 30 minutes, he just wants to tag a world boss here and there or w/e. What's wrong with playing with exotics and then maaaaybe ascended gear? Pretty sure I've mentioned this multiple times (and so did other people) and somehow you consistently skip riiiight above it every time. 🙄

Coincidence? Maybe. Which is why I'm repeating it -benefit of the doubt and all that.

What is the long term goal here?  Exotics obviously aren't, and ascended aren't really either (I guess they might be if you specifically spent 30 minutes a day doing world bosses and only world bosses), but they'd be a pretty lame target.

• Like 2
  • Confused 8

1 minute ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

It's also literally not what is being suggested.

It's literally in OP's post lol.

"- Each time you complete a world boss event successfully, you get 1 legendary armor token.  Max 5 tokens/day just so someone can't farm for 24 hours/day and get ~100 tokens/day

- With 150 (or some other reasonable) number of tokens, you get a piece of legendary armor."

• Like 9
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I think we can be charitable and assume they meant 20 hours

Normally I would agree, but he specified getting the first wood chest in WvW (not completing wood tier, just the first chest). There are no circumstances of which I am aware that would lead to that taking 20 hours.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

What is the long term goal here?  Exotics obviously aren't, and ascended aren't really either (I guess they might be if you specifically spent 30 minutes a day doing world bosses and only world bosses), but they'd be a pretty lame target.

For someone playing for 30 minutes and slapping world boss here and there? How is this not long term? The main argument for "I need leggy"-which I'm aware of- was "but what if I want to theorycraft builds". So theorycraft with exotics or straight up using gw2skills. If that wasn't the reasoning then what else and how is the current state of the game in that regard in any way problematic or in need of change?

It's basically "I don't have time to play, but I want the same long term goal of the players that do play way more". And -surprise- he can have that same goal if that what he wants, but it will understandably take longer with less playtime he has. The issue for him is suddenly that it takes too long. So... is it about long term goal or more about skipping pervious gear tier with hopes of making leggy that much easier to prevent him from ever having to get ascended set or multiple of them? 🤔 If you want to tell me someone logging in for a short time and wanting to just slap world bosses here and there doesn't see crafting ascended tier as long term goal then that's just a bad joke. Even moreso when the repeated complaint is "I could WvW, but it's too long so I won't". Long term goals, alright 🙄 

And how is this a "lame target"? It still opens new possibilities to play for the player, it still gives opportunities to theorycraft like they wanted. What's so "lame" about that? Not enough skins? Then grind achievements or gold->gems for those. Plenty of long-term goals even for players playing more than those 30 minutes to tag a boss.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

In response to some of the ideas posted here:

No, it shouldn't require GoBs. The PvP and raid armor sets don't require it, so why should OW?

And it shouldn't require doing strikes either. Doing map completion for all maps for every expansion is fine, make it grindy as hell and all that, hell you can even add dungeons to the requirement, but don't make it legendary raid armor 2.0. 

Everything else is alright.

Edited by Caliboom.3218
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

On a side note, an OW legendary armor set should require all kinds of things, world bosses, map completions from all expansions, jumping puzzles, metas, even dungeons. And of course the usual materials to make it expensive, maybe add materials exclusive to expansions or living world seasons in there. 

There, it's no longer effortless, it's grindy, it requires you to do all sorts of content instead of just afking on world bosses. Hell, you could say it requires more effort than WvW and PvP legendary armor sets. I don't see any problems here, maybe because there isn't one, people are just gatekeeping.

Edit: Another thing to add is that adding OW legendary armor could be an incentive to do older LW stuff and more unpopular metas, meaning that it would actually end up being good for the game.

Edited by Caliboom.3218
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Caliboom.3218 said:

On a side note, an OW legendary armor set should require all kinds of things, world bosses, map completions from all expansions, jumping puzzles, metas, even dungeons. And of course the usual materials to make it expensive, maybe add materials exclusive to expansions or living world seasons in there. 

There, it's no longer effortless, it's grindy, it requires you to do all sorts of content instead of just afking on world bosses. Hell, you could say it requires more effort than WvW and PvP legendary armor sets. I don't see any problems here, maybe because there isn't one, people are just gatekeeping.

Edit: Another thing to add is that adding OW legendary armor could be an incentive to do older LW stuff and more unpopular metas, meaning that it would actually end up being good for the game.

The incentive to do other content, especially Living World, is exactly what would make legendary armor being obtainable in open-world healthy for the game. Especially if casuals had a serious chance at it, they would flock to these maps non-stop; as each player would finish, another would begin.

But you can't tell that to players who only care about one area of the game mode (raids) and completely disregard the experience of everyone else in PvE. Most of what I see is players repeating how easy the  game is (even Fractals and strikes), and how no one really deserves anything because they don't work for it. WvW and PvP are in the same state, "stay out of my game mode you filthy PvEers", destroying  player uptake.

Even the story mode is turning to this, with players constantly complaining about the devs bringing back LWS1 because its "old content", disregarding that newer players even exist.

I don't know whats with this rise in gatekeeping especially in the last few years, but is bad for the game. The long-term sustainability of the game depends on a constant influx and retention of new players, but curerntly we don't have that. We need more incentives for them to join, stay, and play, and become veterans themselves, and more easily obtainable legendary gear would help alot.

The legendary wardrobe is an incredible feature and could easily become this game's mainstay.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

I think this is a slippery slope. If Anet were to implement the "open world only legendary armor" idea because some players do not like doing WvW, PvP, or Raids, I guarantee you someone will then make a proposal for "Dungeon only legendary armor". Then what about the players that only roleplay in Lion Arch? They might make a proposal for "Roleplay only legendary armor". 

What about players that only fish or do jumping puzzles? "Fishing only legendary armor"/"jumping puzzles only legendary armor"

Or how about the players that only play the trading post? "Trading post only legendary armor" where you can just straight up buy the legendary armor with enough gold to gem conversion in the gemstore.

Anet has already drawn the line with the current three sets, two of which you can do with no skills or an organized group.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3