The 10 year long lie.

RLD.7439

Oof I feel you. It took me a while to understand the password was already saved but didn’t show. They could make it more clear it is saved there, and not those weak star signs. Maybe if they were black ppl would understand it is saved. 

try to just click log in next time. You will see it is saved

4 minutes ago, RLD.7439 said:

I've always had to type a password 😞

You may or may not be comforted to know that I was also like you. It was only while mentioning it to my buddy that I found out 😌 

It does look like those generic light grey empty field fillers that you sometimes see on other sites, to prompt you to type things in. And when you click on the field, it's an empty box for filling. Totally not our fault, ahem cough cough...

39 minutes ago, RLD.7439 said:

I've always had to type a password 😞

Have you reselected the checkbox after?  It's possible that the saved password differs from the one your account is currently using (the client does not sync with your account here, so if you've reset the password, you'll need to update it in the client).

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

One could also look at the status of the local.dat file. If it's somehow locked in a read-only status (perhaps due to some access right issues), it would be impossible to save the password (or change any game option settings, for that matter).

GW2 will crash on launch if it can't write to Local.dat. Launching with -sharearchive makes it read-only.

I read they disabled the old functionality years ago because it literally just saved your password in plaintext.

Whether that's true or not, something i only recently found out is that you can ignore typing your password by clicking the log in button. Sounds stupid, but try it: open the launcher, press enter/click "log in" or whatever. 

Loads of us have spent years typing our password out because the launcher looks like a stupid empty field.

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

I read they disabled the old functionality years ago because it literally just saved your password in plaintext.

Whether that's true or not, something i only recently found out is that you can ignore typing your password by clicking the log in button. Sounds stupid, but try it: open the launcher, press enter/click "log in" or whatever. 

It works not because they "disabled old functionality", but because the option to remember your password does what it's supposed to do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

That was the old -email -password -nopatchui option used in shortcuts to skip the launcher and go straight to character select. Fun fact - this revealed your login in crash logs.

• Like 2

That's why I use GW2Launcher. One of the whys.

Auto login that deservers the name auto login. Character screen ahoy.

The Anet one works for me too but I'm annoyed about the phone number verification prompt. I decide against it for a reason and don't want to be pestered about it further more.

edit: The real 10 year old lie is, that Reza, last king of Orr, told me (in about one of the last missions of the base story) I earned the title Champion of Orr and I never got it. And that's 10 year old content. 10 years lying.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, JayHog.3280 said:

The lie isn't the remember password, it's "Remember username".

Once every 5 attempts at logging in, I have to manually put in my password, which is a bit frustrating, making the check mark sometimes useless.

There is a recent bug with remembering Account Name, hopefully fixed soon.

Although one must occasionally enter the Account Name, the password usually appears once one starts typing in the Account Name (email associated with account). 

• Like 1

If you encounter problem with userrname "not being remembered" and you don't want to touch your keyboard, you can also try closing and reopening the launcher. The username/password appeared as they should for me both times it happened to me, so it might be more of the problem with launcher start-up and not the actual username/password saving.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/18/2022 at 2:49 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

There is a recent bug with remembering Account Name, hopefully fixed soon.

Although one must occasionally enter the Account Name, the password usually appears once one starts typing in the Account Name (email associated with account). 

I miswrote, I meant account name, not password, but yeah, having to put in my e-mail over and over is a bit annoying.

• Sad 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:33 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

No, you haven't.  You just think the password isn't saved because you don't see the password.  Common mistake. 

This whole time? Who knows how many hours have been lost typing that same password every time... How futile! 💀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1