Oct 2022 Beta Test Details

13 minutes ago, Sviel.7493 said:

I got my hopes up that you made this thread to link to some communication I was not aware of. 

At any rate, the beta has started in EU by this point so I think we can give up hope of anything dropping before the NA start either.

Sorry nope, I was just hopping to nudge them into some info, which failed. Am happy we at least got an in game mail about the beta this time around but that appears to be the extent of it. Good hunting to you in your beta!

Welp lets spin this around. If you pop in looking for details drop some off. Let us know how this reset compares to your normal one. Queues/not queues. If queues longer or shorter than normal? How even do the sides seem? Are you seeing about the same number of tags that you usually do and such? Its going to be chaotic but in a good way or bad way? Did people know about the beta or are you getting a lot of WFT? As I said drop some feedback if you end up here.

2 hours ago, Kelly.7019 said:

You know what you should give players stuck in queue because of bugs at reset rewards for sitting in queue waiting for hours. 😄

They tried, it bugged too. 🙂 Had similar mixed errors with the locked mechanism bit. They are giving us practice on tabbing and clearing it. Not sure what its intended purpose is. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

They tried, it bugged too. 🙂 Had similar mixed errors with the locked mechanism bit. They are giving us practice on tabbing and clearing it. Not sure what its intended purpose is. 

tab and clear it? i sat in queue for 19 minutes waiting for the 1 que to go down only to be kicked to the back of the line to wait another hour and 26mins (almost 2 hours total) to then play for 20mins until i got super annoyed for various beta BS and too tired to care anymore and logged out. What a waste of time.

Edited by Kelly.7019

Last beta it took more than an hour for our small guild to get on the same map. This beta, I got through the queue in 19 minutes and I was the second to the last one of our group to make it to our chosen map. My issue with this beta was not getting on a map but what happened once I got there. Both blue and green had large, very effective fighting zergs on that map. We were much smaller and every time we got caught between the two large zergs, we got wiped. They didn't seem to be interested in capping anything, just fighting. So we had a heck of a time finding anything to do besides fighting folks whom we knew would steamroller us. There were double digit queues on every map for most of the two hours we were running so changing maps wasn't an option. Whew, it was a rough night for our smaller squad!

52 minutes ago, Kelly.7019 said:

tab and clear it? i sat in queue for 19 minutes waiting for the 1 que to go down only to be kicked to the back of the line to wait another hour and 26mins (almost 2 hours total) to then play for 20mins until i got super annoyed for various beta BS and too tired to care anymore and logged out. What a waste of time.

If the lock pops up, go back to the bottom option where you select your WvW guild and then back to the tab where you select the map and it drops the lockout and you can select your map. Don't know why the locks are appearing or the why but that clears it but if you get it you have to be fast else queues are mounting.

27 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Last beta it took more than an hour for our small guild to get on the same map. This beta, I got through the queue in 19 minutes and I was the second to the last one of our group to make it to our chosen map. My issue with this beta was not getting on a map but what happened once I got there. Both blue and green had large, very effective fighting zergs on that map. We were much smaller and every time we got caught between the two large zergs, we got wiped. They didn't seem to be interested in capping anything, just fighting. So we had a heck of a time finding anything to do besides fighting folks whom we knew would steamroller us. There were double digit queues on every map for most of the two hours we were running so changing maps wasn't an option. Whew, it was a rough night for our smaller squad!

Will have to see the other maps and who is where. Saw at least two larger guilds (one in map and one in chat) I know. Map that we made it into was one large guild that filled most, 3 havocs on our side (including us) and some roamers, or at least people running solo since it was reset and they may not have been roaming just solo.

1 hour ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

My issue with this beta was not getting on a map but what happened once I got there. Both blue and green had large, very effective fighting zergs on that map. We were much smaller and every time we got caught between the two large zergs, we got wiped. They didn't seem to be interested in capping anything, just fighting. So we had a heck of a time finding anything to do besides fighting folks whom we knew would steamroller us. There were double digit queues on every map for most of the two hours we were running so changing maps wasn't an option. Whew, it was a rough night for our smaller squad!

You're describing every WvW reset, not the beta.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

First impression so far:

Unlike the last beta, where the alliance teams were pretty even, it looks like one side currently has overwhelming numbers of people and is easily staying above 50% while the other two sides bounce around the 20% mark of "possession".  That's a big step back for interesting match making.

When arenanet announced that it would be working with us through testing or beta testing periods, I didn't really imagine that the problem was to redistribute players. stupidly I thought that a guild selects another server and transfers, always can do it and you can do it whenever it wants. no one ever reported problems of incorrect assignment, other instance scquadra wrong. I thought the program and the logic was the same. 

and I was quite wrong, because it's clearly a big problem, or at least it's really complicated to solve it.

27 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

You're describing every WvW reset, not the beta.

Maybe in T1. 

Really the beta can't be compared to anything as we have no idea how they grouped the guilds together as there obviously is no functional alliance portion yet.  

Guessing they have few metrics for guild size since they struggle with world size and relinking; its more than likely either this is random and we're getting an unbalance in guild sizes or I'm wrong and they actually do have metrics and did this purposefully.  

13 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Maybe in T1. 

Really the beta can't be compared to anything as we have no idea how they grouped the guilds together as there obviously is no functional alliance portion yet.  

Guessing they have few metrics for guild size since they struggle with world size and relinking; its more than likely either this is random and we're getting an unbalance in guild sizes or I'm wrong and they actually do have metrics and did this purposefully.  

We will just see a repeat of all the other beta feedback rants - people bring up all their problems with normal WvW and blaims the beta for them, because they thought it would magically "fix" everything despite it having nothing to do with those problems. Dont think it is long now before new threads complaining about unbalanced teams and that it's all the betas fault, while refusing to acknowledge/selectively forgetting how WvW tiers actually work and that it is completely random the first week with potential T1 teams meeting potential T5 teams since 1-up-1-down has not even started.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

We will just see a repeat of all the other beta feedback rants - people bring up all their problems with normal WvW and blaims the beta for them, because they thought it would magically "fix" everything despite it having nothing to do with those problems. Dont think it is long now before new threads complaining about unbalanced teams and that it's all the betas fault, while refusing to acknowledge/selectively forgetting how WvW tiers actually work and that it is completely random the first week with potential T1 teams meeting potential T5 teams since 1-up-1-down has not even started.

dear dawdler,

I must tell you that I do not think like you, I reported on purpose just before the beta began in another post the extreme numbers that we can get with the current system ( k + d ) we are almost 4 : 1 , I mean we have teams in wvw that have 4 times the number of other teams at the moment. honestly I expect that the new system will lead to numbers to a much better result. they have the opportunity to build from scratch 15 teams with many small fragments every 2 months.

I don't expect magic that solves everything, but I expect that from t1 to t5 teams should have a flow and therefore a rather similar number of players. you will no longer have to wait 2 weeks to start watching/getting fun matches for everyone.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

dear dawdler,

I must tell you that I do not think like you, I reported on purpose just before the beta began in another post the extreme numbers that we can get with the current system ( k + d ) we are almost 4 : 1 , I mean we have teams in wvw that have 4 times the number of other teams at the moment. honestly I expect that the new system will lead to numbers to a much better result. they have the opportunity to build from scratch 15 teams with many small fragments every 2 months.

I don't expect magic that solves everything, but I expect that from t1 to t5 teams should have a flow and therefore a rather similar number of players. you will no longer have to wait 2 weeks to start watching/getting fun matches for everyone.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Even with exactly identical sized teams, we have potential T1 teams fighting potential T5 teams. Because it's random and players - and in particular guilds - arent 1:1 equal. If you expect that the first very volatile week have flow then case and point.

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Even with exactly identical sized teams, we have potential T1 teams fighting potential T5 teams. Because it's random and players - and in particular guilds - arent 1:1 equal. If you expect that the first very volatile week have flow then case and point.

this is true,

and it is right that the best and most organized players will continue to get 1 up . but I predict and hope that it will be a little more challenging for everyone (if the numbers are really similar) it will be difficult to see mono color maps, you are good and win the game but you will win it by a small margin. the good life of stacking one team and emptying another team, I hope is over forever. we should agree on this if when we talk about balance   we use the same vocabulary.

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

We will just see a repeat of all the other beta feedback rants

you don't have to put your hands forward, and protect alliances in any case. we decided to delete the servers in the name of balance (as if it were the only alternative) well, if I do not see this result I will not stop criticizing this choice.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

you don't have to put your hands forward, and protect alliances in any case. we decided to delete the servers in the name of balance (as if it were the only alternative) well, if I do not see this result I will not stop criticizing this choice.

Going by current activity numbers, we kind of do. The old system is not working beyond tier 2, not even on EU. It's one big ppt farm and karma train at best or some rando roamers here and there with mostly one sided blobs. IF some know commanders do take the time to setup fights, you do get some nice fights every few weeks.

I get that players in T1 or stacked servers might enjoy their time there, but that's not how WvW is for all players and it's also the reason the mode has been bleeding numbers for years now.

My guess is the numbers also reflect this to the developers, otherwise they would have cancelled this endeavour by now with an explanation that it wouldn't help the game mode.

EDIT:

as far as alternate ideas: yeah I haven't seen a single good one so far. Most are just a variation of merge servers even more (aka kick the ball down the road), unmerge servers completely (hahaha, as if the population could sustain that), or some other variation of what has already been tried where we actually know it hasn't worked in the past.

Now don't get me wrong, if there should be some sensible good idea which would work better than a more granular system, I'm sure many players would love to discuss it. I am not holding my breath of anyone coming up with one though given no one has in years (and some of the players objecting alliances don't even understand the new system due to whatever reason, not banging on them pulling some magically great idea out of some hat).

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

Lol alternatives. Are you refering to all the wild and impossible ideas people come up with that generate new players out of thin air? "We" didnt decide anything. World restructuring is an evolution of links. Alliances is a management tool.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1