Long bow

Sansar.1302

I find this weapon unusable on all ranger specs exept on soulbeast, it is so easy to avoid its damage witch is kinda low to start with.

Only utility this weapon got is a short stealth that get obstrucated by the smalest bump in terrain and a little bit longer range than others.

Barrage is a death sentence to use and is only good for clearing sige.

Only way to make it usable is to use sic em and one wolf pack and that build is a one tric pony.

Edited by Sansar.1302
bad spelling
  • Like 1

Good..good, it's refreshing to see other players coming to the same conclusion...to really sum it all about ranger 

A mediocre class that excel  against lower players with mediocre effort. A good player will make ranger shine but again...he would accomplish a tad more on another profession , that's the reality of ranger

well but that's one hell of a one trick pony. And the best chance you get to kill thieves. There is no other class that excels in killing thieves as much as lb soulbeast because when you do it right the burst you unleash with quickness hits so hard that most thieves you +1 will be dead before they can react.

The biggest + of this weapon is the range advantage, which is quite effective due to weaker players not knowing how to deal with it.
But after they realize the projectile can be stopped by a pebble, projectile block disables it, projectile reflect can break the users spine when doing the rappid fire combo and up close the damage drops while ranger has no defense and mobility (unless you swap the weapon or use Soulbeast skills).

Overall all ranger weapons are either in need of a buff (Shortbow actually has a potential) or a minor rework (torch, which I haven't seen since... 2018?).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ferus.3165 said:

well but that's one hell of a one trick pony. And the best chance you get to kill thieves. There is no other class that excels in killing thieves as much as lb soulbeast because when you do it right the burst you unleash with quickness hits so hard that most thieves you +1 will be dead before they can react.

Thieves should be virtually zero threat to a ranger unless you build super glass for some type of one-shot sic' em build. 

As all theives outside of deadeye have to get close to you to do damage, so easy to CC them into big damage of your own (or make them run), and DE's have the same problem as LB rangers in that one projectile defense mechanism is all you need to get rid of them.  

10 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Ranger or lets say Longbow is a good weapon in WvW.

HOWEVER! Only in the hands of people who know what they are doing. Yes, even in Zergs.

And seeing a Ranger who know what they are doing is like finding a Shiny Pokemon. With 32DVs in all stats.

I should not need to keep explaining this but I guess there is new people here. From a pvp/wvw pov. Pve anything goes. 

longbow is used and a great weapon in wvw because is one of the few which has an usable skill set. Same goes for GS. The rest of the weapons simply doesn’t bring enough to make a build viable. I don’t mean good, I mean not being a free bag. 

aside from that Longbow is a terrible weapon in current gw2: the projectiles will be reflected if you don’t know where to move and you will definitely kill your Allies. The damage is low compared to other classes ranged weapons (hammer herald comes into mind). Barrage the ultimate attack usuals praise has its serious trade offs too. 

So longbow is not going anywhere. Not as long as anet does not destroy the weapon so it becomes even worse than shortbow for example. 

3 hours ago, anduriell.6280 said:

I should not need to keep explaining this but I guess there is new people here. From a pvp/wvw pov. Pve anything goes. 

longbow is used and a great weapon in wvw because is one of the few which has an usable skill set. Same goes for GS. The rest of the weapons simply doesn’t bring enough to make a build viable. I don’t mean good, I mean not being a free bag. 

aside from that Longbow is a terrible weapon in current gw2: the projectiles will be reflected if you don’t know where to move and you will definitely kill your Allies. The damage is low compared to other classes ranged weapons (hammer herald comes into mind). Barrage the ultimate attack usuals praise has its serious trade offs too. 

So longbow is not going anywhere. Not as long as anet does not destroy the weapon so it becomes even worse than shortbow for example. 

Long bow is way worse than short bow, long bow is one of the worst weapons ranger have 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

As a commander in WvW I love to have a ranger or three in my squad comp. And I want them to have long bow because we can clear siege on walls and back from the walls during our assaults on towers and keeps. They also have melee weapons in their builds.

I mained a ranger for years and I've seen so many people not using their long bow right. They tended to rely on it too much and paid the price. A few pointers and they start to improve little by little. 

• Like 1

In WvW, longbow is only good as far as destroying siege on top of a wall but that's about it. You can't camp it as it has very bad DPS and tbh you are basically doing nothing to the enemies below a tower or a keep, you might as well just use that time in repairing wall/gate or manning a siege inside. I  see a lot of rangers on their longbow like 100% of the time and not swapping weapons even on melee range. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrinceValentine.9320 said:

tbh you are basically doing nothing to the enemies below a tower or a keep,

Partially true, while a person in a zerg will be tickled and healed to full instantly, you can easily remove roam players that are playing next to zerg with ease.
That takes some practice to find them, but effectively you can remove 2+ players before the real fight starts.
While it's not as good as manning siege, it's better than spamming lb5 into the zerg and going afk for 10s+. 

2 minutes ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Partially true, while a person in a zerg will be tickled and healed to full instantly, you can easily remove roam players that are playing next to zerg with ease.
That takes some practice to find them, but effectively you can remove 2+ players before the real fight starts.
While it's not as good as manning siege, it's better than spamming lb5 into the zerg and going afk for 10s+. 

Rangers are constantly hated because of this. When your server has a queue and you do this thinking that you are being such a huge help is only putting the class in a bad light, when other specs that can make a better impact are stuck in queue. Just adjust your build to a much more viable spec like a heal druid and actually support your team. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Beddo.1907 said:

In real combat that rarely happens thou. Maybe some PvEr going with a shortbow and who thinks that build is the best gets caught on it. Or if you can coordinate 3 rangers to pewpew the same target but it seems such a waste. 

Longbow has many uses in PvP modes because of the utility and the fact that ranger is not wanted in squads so it has to go always with a hybrid zerg-roaming build if they want to survive (namely any celestial build). It is not only the barrage thing, pewpew rapidfire can also be of some use, sometimes. 

Most use you will get will be from Lb4 and LB3 thou, first to interrupt any chicken running zergling or stomping noob enemy and  former to de-tag yourself from enemies.  GS is usually better for anything else. 

2 minutes ago, PrinceValentine.9320 said:

a much more viable spec like a heal druid and actually support your team

You are still obsessed about this, how is it going the ultimate Druid support this balance was going to provide. No druids yet to be seen at least on my games. 

Druid is not a viable support. Not right now however.  

• Confused 1

Just now, anduriell.6280 said:

You are still obsessed about this, how is it going the ultimate Druid support this balance was going to provide. No druids yet to be seen at least on my games. 

Druid is not a viable support. Not right now however.  

You're the one in denial that Druid is not viable. You must be playing with some unorganized comps that's why you don't see them. It is now common knowledge that Druid is a meta healer/support in WvW. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

21 minutes ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Personally when there is queue and the fights are not basically my team cleaving the enemies, I swap to cleanse Druid.
Can't speak for all the players tho and the main point was technicality.

The issue here is that rangers picked their class just because it is an EZ mode class. not much skills to press, stay at range and pew pew to their heart's content. I don't think they have even explored its potential to the fullest. Anet just buffed the Healing/Support Druid but most rangers would still go for the LB because it's EZ mode. Most squads now at least those who are competitive, utilize Druids in their squad. It is seldom seen as a PUG because it is not as EZ mode as a LB soulbeast. 

Edited by PrinceValentine.9320
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

I find that very untrue 

Obviously you don't understand how to use it

I believe many have seen lb2 long range gun down berserker build

Lb3 stealth could literally help you reposition 

I mean the list  can go on 

I only use shortbow in pve

End of the day i like sb but in reality lb is superior 

Yes i play condi but in spvp power build rules

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 1:22 PM, PrinceValentine.9320 said:

The issue here is that rangers picked their class just because it is an EZ mode class. not much skills to press, stay at range and pew pew to their heart's content. I don't think they have even explored its potential to the fullest. Anet just buffed the Healing/Support Druid but most rangers would still go for the LB because it's EZ mode. Most squads now at least those who are competitive, utilize Druids in their squad. It is seldom seen as a PUG because it is not as EZ mode as a LB soulbeast. 

You are right about one thing...They are not ez mode like soulbeast LB. Ive played ranger for years and LB fits my playstyle and I seem to do well with it (LB and Staff druid)