Why is there so little care for PvP in this game?

Aodlop.1907

5 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

One of the big wintraders got mad at this game, threw a big tantrum on twitch, got their main twitch channel banned, and is now currently ban evading with a new channel, very likely botting followers on this new channel trying to sweep it all under the rug

They're not in trouble on here, of course, but they lost their main channel and any amount of inconvenience to them brings me grim satisfaction.

Well they jacked up their streaming a bit huh? I except as much from dark triad people though which this game mode has a lot of sadly.

Edited by Dr Meta.3158
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nilkemia.8507 said:

There is little care for it because it's a toxic mode, and because ArenaNet got little if any return from investing into it in times past.

You got it backwards. It's become toxic, BECAUSE they cares so little for it due to lack of profit.

The toxicity is a result, not a reason.

• Confused 1

Just now, Fueki.4753 said:

You got it backwards. It's become toxic, BECAUSE they cares so little for it due to lack of profit.

Indeed. Toxicity spreads like disease if nobody is taking any action. In my opinion thats short very sightened. Because players often need multiple game modes within a game to not switch to other game.

6 minutes ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Well they jacked up their streaming a bit huh? I except as much from dark triad people though which this game mode has a lot of sadly.

I goofed up a little there, its actually an older fallback channel so its probably not being viewbotted.

But yeah, its to be expected when they tie their own massive egos to a video game. A death threat from one of these people is actually somewhat scary. If I was ever to expect anyone to act on one, it would definitely be a guild wars 2 wintrader.

3 minutes ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

I goofed up a little there, its actually an older fallback channel so its probably not being viewbotted.

But yeah, its to be expected when they tie their own massive egos to a video game. A death threat from one of these people is actually somewhat scary. If I was ever to expect anyone to act on one, it would definitely be a guild wars 2 wintrader.

Scary? Its like getting death threat from a clown.

• Haha 1

No I'd believe him. I know some guys in Lineage 2 over a decade ago actually carried out their death threat. Don't take mental health issues lightly.

Probably going to get pinged for saying this but whatever. Not going to feel bad for trying to saving lives.

Edited by Dr Meta.3158
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

As far as I was told. The esports thing died when HOT came out and created bunker wars with the center of it all being chronomancer. I heard that essentially no one ever died, it was boring, confusing, and repetitive to watch and since no one actually fixed it the competitive scene was lost. Basically the GOATs meta didn't only kill overwatch.

15 minutes ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

As far as I was told. The esports thing died when HOT came out and created bunker wars with the center of it all being chronomancer. I heard that essentially no one ever died, it was boring, confusing, and repetitive to watch and since no one actually fixed it the competitive scene was lost. Basically the GOATs meta didn't only kill overwatch.

Just because ESportz died due to bad meta, doesn't mean it has to be dead forever. At least, if they are able to learn from their mistakes.

Edit: It was done poorly since start tbh. 

Edited by Morwath.9817

12 minutes ago, Morwath.9817 said:

Just because ESportz died due to bad meta, doesn't mean it has to be dead forever. At least, if they are able to learn from their mistakes.

Edit: It was done poorly since start tbh. 

I've played 2 days of Hot and came back in the beginning of POF and from what I've seen, the balance has been its best right before end of dragons came out. But Path of fire was its own monstrosity. Firebrand, Scourge at the top of the degeneracy of ruining every game mode followed by mirage, deadeye, and holosmith being smaller scale horrors. Spellbreaker and Holosmith being one tier below of what you would consider horribly busted nowadays (Funny as they are both problems now for the exact same reasons as before). 

So at the very least you can say it got better 7 years later but waiting 7 years for a low end state for epsorts is very unreasonable. So yeah it was done poorly since the start. 

40 minutes ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

So at the very least you can say it got better 7 years later but waiting 7 years for a low end state for epsorts is very unreasonable. So yeah it was done poorly since the start. 

Depends on your goal. If your goal would be to make current sPvP players happy, that certainly would be a waste of resources. However, if your goal would be to build new community from scratch (including current sPvP players) that would be worthy goal. It's obvious that you won't attract neither new players, WvW players or PvE players into ESL type tournaments or leagues, because they will be simply farmed by same players playing game mode for 10 years. You need to come with something new. 

So, for example: new format. It still could be still conquest, but with bigger teams (more appealing for WvW GvG players), bigger maps, new interesting side objectives or simply revamped old ones. Add some Guild vs Guild twist to it with rosters locked for whole season (for obvious reason). You can reduce impact of "veterans" for such thing in two ways: either allow each guild team to play maxiumum numbers of games during season, or do it more tournament-league style where "winners" of stage 1 qualify for stage 2 and can't particpate in stage 1 anymore.

Speaking of rewards it doesn't have to be money. It can be shinnies - unique legendary weapons, armors and stuff, even if that stuff has no use in sPvP like WvW mount skins etc. Obviously it should be expaneded each season to attract new and older players a like. Imagine unlocking items like unique hairstyles in sPvP. We need to remember, its Fashion Wars for majority of players base 😁

And before someone says Gizmos and ATs. There is huge difference between rewarding one team of 5 people (often same very month) than lets say 25-50-75% of guilds participating out of 1000 with different thresholds of rewards.

Edited by Morwath.9817

One idea that keeps popping up that would be great with a larger population is skill gating people in ranked. As you place into certain tiers, you get gated out of the lower tiers. That way you can have your main account where you play seriously and your alternate account(s) where you slowly kill the game mode by harassing newer players.

• Like 1

Because people have gated this game so kitten hard that most of the people that actually gave a kitten just literally left.

Why deal with a community that has basically watched the same top folks for YEARS take various spots across top 10, 20, 25 and so on through match manipulation and other ungodly means. No one is helpful outside of the select folk that go out of their way to help, and even with their help you still got the idiots that will actively try to sabotage any promotion of growth for the rest of the newcomers. Then, there is the cesspool that is the forums. You have people that have basically demoted themselves into literal bots barking the same thing about EVERY single new spec, class that has came out and essentially nerfed the hell out of them into the floor until they are shell of what they could've been.

- Complaint about tanky amulets that essentially led to their deletion and left us with amulets that are basically either support or offense, in an era where we have NOTHING but high spikes of damage and CC bombs flinging this way and that.

- Complaint of certain runes that led to the literal bombing of runes

- Complaint about sigils which left us with sigils that feel like they do nothing

- Complaint of many classes that has left them gutted beyond all belief and still recovering (Ah yes, when elementalist feels like a clunky slog of a mess outside of tempest because the apes decided to point out the WRONG things about specs like Power Weaver and then essentially led Anet to gutting probably one of the ONLY power builds Weaver had at some point outside of maybe Lightning Rod)

- Complaints about queueing which led to the community forever being indecisive as to whether or not they want to duo queue, solo queue, or actually have a PVP mode where you can play with friends.

I can go on and on with this kitten. The community as a whole is indecisive, insufferable people that can't seem to decide what they want so they point fingers until there is really nothing to point fingers at anymore. Worst part is this has been going on for literal years with a continuous downward spiral. Until devs actually do something and point their foot down, there is never going to be a care put into this mode and will only be seen as a gold farm/pip farm for legendary armor and then never touched again.

Edit: I'll say this though, Anet's lack of response and vision for this mode is also a catalyst for PVP community turning into the way it did, so I won't put all blame on the community. But christ, I've seen a lot of stupid statements coming from this place that really screwed balance over hard. 

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I also ... do not unterstand this. For WvW there seems to be more planned (though taking forever and the amount of real updates also is the same = close to 0).

PvP has a lot potential ... and I like it as well as PvE. WvW is the "worst" game mode. Though I would prefer a mid sized combat with a match system + PvP gear. (= bigger PvP maps and different game modes)  WvW does not offer this - it is mainly for the rewards and  zerging while in PvP you actually want to win (since you can actually stay the whole match - well you actually have to stay since the ranked/unranked does not allow for hotjoin. Only the dead custom arenas).

WvW though ... is more tied to PvE - since it uses PvE gear (and legendaries need you to do WvW while PvP components can be bought at the TP). Also there is a mount. Leads to more gems = making money. Therefore more resources focused there ... I guess. (Though you could add mounts to PvP as well lol. And make the normal shards of glory account bound as well.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

8 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Yes dude people get perma’d for flaming others and for wintrading because it’s anets fault.

this is the type of thinking that has led to even gw2 community discord into becoming battle grounds 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

One of the big wintraders got mad at this game, threw a big tantrum on twitch, got their main twitch channel banned, and is now currently ban evading with a older channel

EDIT: Older channel, not newer | And probably not follow botting as a result. Probably.

They're not in trouble on here, of course, but they lost their main channel and any amount of inconvenience to them brings me grim satisfaction.

grim or gwim?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

grim or gwim?

🤣 One of those, i'm sure

13 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

No I'd believe him. I know some guys in Lineage 2 over a decade ago actually carried out their death threat. Don't take mental health issues lightly.

Probably going to get pinged for saying this but whatever. Not going to feel bad for trying to saving lives.

Tbh I agree when it comes to mental health issues.

Its just hard to take someone seriously who doesn't show that same respect and understanding back, like ever.

The door to self-improvement and self-love has always been open for them, and it starts here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy if they happen to be watching, which i'm sure they are in all their vanity

8 hours ago, Dreams.3128 said:

- Complaints about queueing which led to the community forever being indecisive as to whether or not they want to duo queue, solo queue, or actually have a PVP mode where you can play with friends.

That's proof that they want us to hate eachother.

One of the most common reasons people give for quitting is a lack of additional modes. Teams and solos in separate queues would be two different ranked arenas, ranked modes. 

But no; we get DuoQ which doesn't satisfy the soloqs, or the people that want to play with friends(with more than 1 friend anyway.)

4 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Oh, I get whispers there too, but there is a difference between smack talk and toxicity. I see more toxicity in one game mode than the other despite said game mode having a smaller population.

Trust Lan; if you feel like you're getting more angry whispers in WvW, then be assured its only because there's a higher volume of players there. Infact most of PvP's nicer and more sane players have long-since migrated to WvW.

PvP is just the worst. It brings out the worst in people, by design. From the toxic, fortnite dance match end screen. To solos/duos perpetually complaining about the other. AFKers being rewarded and unpunished, match manipulation, former devs balancing by the motto: 
"Oh, there'll be some amazing salt. I can't wait" - Unnamed and possibly unpaid Anet intern | 06/19/2022 

And then a whole slew of terrible behavior from the tiny and ever-shrinking pool of top players which would need like an entire 1k more words to fully describe, but to summarize: They want this to happen. They want us to hate eachother and be 'git gud' sweatlords just like they are, and they've had a lot of success there.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 10:40 PM, RedAvenged.5217 said:

Why should pvp be getting attention- you have top streamers getting perma banned for threatening to kill people and wintrading. Also the pvp balancer got banned for balancing for associating with trash.

the community sometimes gets what it wants smh

I think I missed this one. What happened?

You can pm me if you dont wanna post names here 

1 hour ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

🤣 One of those, i'm sure

Tbh I agree when it comes to mental health issues.

Its just hard to take someone seriously who doesn't show that same respect and understanding back, like ever.

The door to self-improvement and self-love has always been open for them, and it starts here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy if they happen to be watching, which i'm sure they are in all their vanity

That's proof that they want us to hate eachother.

One of the most common reasons people give for quitting is a lack of additional modes. Teams and solos in separate queues would be two different ranked arenas, ranked modes. 

But no; we get DuoQ which doesn't satisfy the soloqs, or the people that want to play with friends(with more than 1 friend anyway.)

Trust Lan; if you feel like you're getting more angry whispers in WvW, then be assured its only because there's a higher volume of players there. Infact most of PvP's nicer and more sane players have long-since migrated to WvW.

PvP is just the worst. It brings out the worst in people, by design. From the toxic, fortnite dance match end screen. To solos/duos perpetually complaining about the other. AFKers being rewarded and unpunished, match manipulation, former devs balancing by the motto: 
"Oh, there'll be some amazing salt. I can't wait" - Unnamed and possibly unpaid Anet intern | 06/19/2022 

And then a whole slew of terrible behavior from the tiny and ever-shrinking pool of top players which would need like an entire 1k more words to fully describe, but to summarize: They want this to happen. They want us to hate eachother and be 'git gud' sweatlords just like they are, and they've had a lot of success there.

Yeah that's the sad part. Wherever you go there will be toxic people be it in game, on these forums, or in life. Toxic people raised by toxic people going out to create more toxic people with other toxic people.

Also grab your salt amulet from pvp too. A reminder that its not just the playerbase.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lotus.5672 said:

I think I missed this one. What happened?

You can pm me if you dont wanna post names here 

It’s not one thing that happened it’s been over time.

anet even tried to make a discord an official community one, but the streamers and mods in charge were the toxic members of the community, so they had to call it off.

currently the only pvp discord that’s big atm, I had to leave and report- to many insane people telling other pvpers to hang themselves and stuff.

this is why I recommend just playing for fun and blocking and reporting in game when someone is toxic. These things are coming from players commonly banned

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Yeah that's the sad part. Wherever you go there will be toxic people be it in game, on these forums, or in life. Toxic people raised by toxic people going out to create more toxic people with other toxic people.

Its Arenanet's responsibility to monitor if you ask me.

It's possible to have a game be competitive and friendly at the same time, there just has to be some integrity enforced when people inevitably start getting angry and extra and fairness in the competition so that it happens less often.

2 hours ago, Dr Meta.3158 said:

Also grab your salt amulet from pvp too. A reminder that its not just the playerbase.

Yeah but with the salt amulet that's just a joke I think. 

Hehe funnee when it's a subtle nod in game, but it hits different when some rat person is saying it to other rat people behind everyone else's back