Great to see GW2 on sale on Steam

Barnesy.5839

It was towards the top of the main Steam sale page.

A small suggestion: when you hover over the game's tile on the store page, a short 5 second video plays which showcases the game. The video shows five 1-second scenes. Some of the scenes are kinda cool like the boss attacking. But most of them are a bit ambiguous/vague/boring. I think the scenes should show action scenes: Bosses doing cool attacks, player characters wielding big flashy weapons doing cool attacks, and/or epic combat scenes with the camera panning around some epic battle.

Edited by Barnesy.5839
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

Gw2 is the most played mmo in steam right now. Anet reallu stepped up their advertisements you like to see it. Keep it up!

New World's 24hr peak is literally 75k higher than gw2 lol. This kitten that people say just to comment is ridiculous.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1063730

https://steamcharts.com/app/1284210

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think it's surprising that GW2 doesn't have many players on Steam. It was 10 years old when it launched on there so most people who would be interested would probably have seen it already and even some who discovered it on Steam may have decided to get the stand-alone version.

Also I think what's on the store page might be tailored to the viewer. I couldn't see GW2 when I looked just now and I'm pretty sure what I did see was different to when I'm on my PC and signed into Steam.

(I find it kind of amusing that different systems/algorithms have very different ideas of the kind of games I like. Nintendo probably think I have no interest in multiplayer at all, whereas Steam thinks almost all I play is small scale multiplayer games and Twitter thinks I only play MMOs and Zelda.)

• Like 1

Guild Wars 2 may not be the most popular MMO and it may not even be the most popular MMO on Steam, but make no mistake, people. It is still incredibly popular, and the playerbase GW2 does have is LOCKED IN because there is no other game like GW2 and if ANet/NCSoft were smart, they would know they have this specific MMO genre absolutely cornered. Guild Wars 2 shuts down, where you gonna go? WoW? FF14? Runescape? lol

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Rendalmj.3152 said:

GW2 has 16 MILLION Account !! How many subscribers World of warcraft have now ?!?!? Not even 2 million

WoW has more than that many accounts. Comparing accounts created to number of payimg players is either disingenuous or lacking in understanding.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Neither WoW nor gw2 publish their playercount. But i can say for sure gw2 has never not arround 500k players logging in daily. If you look back at the steam launch there were at times a maximum of twitch viewers because of drops arround 40k-50k so i would assume there arent more than 25k-35k players logging in daily. And that is already well meant. On the other hand i only played classic wow from its start in 2019 and there were more than 100k players safe and we knew it because of queues and raidlogs. thats only wow classic, idk about retail wow but there are way more players logging in daily. 

websites like mmo-population etc are complete crap.. read carefully. They measure the playercount through active reddit users and reddit threads. Actually we have no serious data. But one thing is for sure.. gw2 has maybe at best 1/4 of the playercount WoW has.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I would bet any day of the week that GW2 daily active users is 100k. Easy.

Every zone is populated. Multiple instances are constantly used. And the few numbers we do have that ANet has released regarding their gemstore sales leaves no doubt that active player count is massive.

But regardless, why are we even talking about this anyway? ANet has ALMOST NEVER released active player count in GW2's entire history. This entire conversation is moot. GW2 is FAR from dead and, as I said, the playerbase is locked in because ANet has this particular market cornered. Anything more or less than this is just BS or pure speculation. There is nothing else to talk about.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

This thread feels like 5 year-olds arguing what is better. The reality is that GW2 is one of the least popular big MMOs out there. The game has outdated graphics and is unappealing for new players. Heck, 15$ per month in WoW for all content unlocked is cheaper than the model GW2 suggests where you have limited character, bag, and build slots. 

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Khalgir.3862 said:

This thread feels like 5 year-olds arguing what is better. The reality is that GW2 is one of the least popular big MMOs out there. The game has outdated graphics and is unappealing for new players. Heck, 15$ per month in WoW for all content unlocked is cheaper than the model GW2 suggests where you have limited character, bag, and build slots. 

Yea I can say with 100% certainty that my 10 year in gw2 cost me less then if I would have played wow for 10 years.

But then again I dont gamble on black lion chest for the new shiny either every couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

10 years of WoW = nearly $2,000. My 10 years of GW2 has cost me less than $150 (for the base game and 3 expansions). I have everything I want unlocked on GW2, for as long as the servers are running. The moment you stop paying your WoW sub, what have you got?

1. you're not the average 10 year player if you've never purchased a single thing from the store other than the base game and expansions.

2. have you played at least once a month for the last 10 years?

3. Why do you suppose GW2 doesn't have a subscription?

• Confused 4

Just now, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

1. you're not the average 10 year player if you've never purchased a single thing from the store other than the base game and expansions.

2. have you played at least once a month for the last 10 years?

3. Why do you suppose GW2 doesn't have a subscription?

I have bought stacks of stuff from the store, all funded with in game gold (which the game showers you with).

I have over 16,000 hours in game, which represents remarkable value for money.

The no sub model was what attracted me to move from WoW to GW1. I'm sure many GW players are also here because of the lack of sub.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1