The Mystery Cave

Xsile.2915

Anet please consider either adding a skip mission or a difficulty changer for content like the boss fight in The Mystery Cave so that story progress can continue.  I have been playing this game off and on for the last 10 years and one thing all my characters have in common. They are all stuck on the flipping dragon battle in The Mystery Cave. I have literally been trying to get past that one friggin battle for years now and no matter how many times I try or characters I use I can not get past it and the older I get the harder and worse it is! So for the love of all the below average gamer's (like myself) that are not as dexterous as a 15 year old Olympic gymnast! Please do something about that flipping instance! Let us advance the story!

Edited by Xsile.2915
typos
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

The Wiki has a walkthrough of the fight.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Mystery_Cave

AyinMaiden has a video of the instance, which may help you, the fight section is obviously near the end.

did it for the 13th time with my Spectre earlier this year (I've just had my 55th birthday), it isn't too difficult to get through if you do the mechanics. That said, I've never managed not to get hit by the rocks to get that particular achievment!

Hope this helps and good luck.

https://youtu.be/ai-JHDo1A70

Edit - Just read one of the comments under the video, it does state that the video doesn't show an important part of the boss fight, in that after you have lit one of the divine fire, you need to get the divine fire again in order to kill the shadow creature that tries to put out the fire that you lit (the wiki walkthrough does explain this)

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Thank you I check out this video and several others before making my post. Sadly I am a below average player and as I said I have tried for over a couple of YEARS now to get past this one point. This one point in the game is what has driven me to give up on GW2 and play other games just to revisit Gw2 long enough to spend another month or two trying to get at least one character past this. It is not happening and as I age (also just turned 55) my twitch reflexes (which where below average to begin with) are not getting any better and this is becoming even more difficult. So I am asking Anet to throw us aging below average players a freaking bone and do something about this so that our progress through the freaking story can continue.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I don't recall this being that frustrating, but I know that varies wildly with players.  Have you tried forming a group with guildmates or on LFG to help out?

Can that be done on the story missions?  I thought they all had to be done solo.  Also Sadly I am the only one left in my guild and I am on a server that's population is long since dead.  I am lucky if I see 3 actual players in any given area at the same time. But maybe i can transfer to another server and find some help if that is possible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

25 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Server transfer is not needed for pve, Gw2 uses mega servers so all of pve are only split bettwen Eu and NA.

And yes every story mission can be done with 1-5 people.

Very helpful and good to know. Now i just need to find someone the carry me through that part.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Xsile.2915 said:

Can that be done on the story missions?  I thought they all had to be done solo.  Also Sadly I am the only one left in my guild and I am on a server that's population is long since dead.  I am lucky if I see 3 actual players in any given area at the same time. But maybe i can transfer to another server and find some help if that is possible.

Linken answered this very effectively, I will also add try asking in map chat in a city.  If you aren't seeing many people in the world, try a hub where people gather.  Otherwise, utilize the LFG tool.  It may take a little time but should be able to find some people.  Servers do not matter, except in WvW at the moment.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Xsile.2915 said:

Anet please consider either adding a skip mission or a difficulty changer for content like the boss fight in The Mystery Cave so that story progress can continue.  I have been playing this game off and on for the last 10 years and one thing all my characters have in common. They are all stuck on the flipping dragon battle in The Mystery Cave. I have literally been trying to get past that one friggin battle for years now and no matter how many times I try or characters I use I can not get past it and the older I get the harder and worse it is! So for the love of all the below average gamer's (like myself) that are not as dexterous as a 15 year old Olympic gymnast! Please do something about that flipping instance! Let us advance the story!

This mission has a Challenge Mote that lets you repeat the boss battle as many times as you need to. You may need to have completed it before for the mote to show up, though.

It sounds like you have a bad build, a good build should be able to DPS that thing down in seconds with just autoattacks. I would recommend checking Metabattle and getting more up-to-date gears and build. I'd probably recommend something ranged like Longbow Soulbeast, Rifle Machinist or Staff Mirage (open-world variants).

If you're just wearing random junk your damage will drop to as low as 5-10% of a meta build. This means when you're doing 500 damage another player is doing 5,000 with the same auto-attacks.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

This mission has a Challenge Mote that lets you repeat the boss battle as many times as you need to. You may need to have completed it before for the mote to show up, though.

It sounds like you have a bad build, a good build should be able to DPS that thing down in seconds with just autoattacks. I would recommend checking Metabattle and getting more up-to-date gears and build. I'd probably recommend something ranged like Longbow Soulbeast, Rifle Machinist or Staff Mirage (open-world variants).

If you're just wearing random junk your damage will drop to as low as 5-10% of a meta build. This means when you're doing 500 damage another player is doing 5,000 with the same auto-attacks.

Good suggestion.  It could be the build needs some tweaking or gear needs to change.  Maybe need something chewier if using a glass cannon build for example.  I usually go in with an open world build that is more survivable but also does decent damage.  

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, Xsile.2915 said:

I have been playing this game off and on for the last 10 years and one thing all my characters have in common. They are all stuck on the flipping dragon battle in The Mystery Cave.

That battle is super easy when you play the mechanics: walk through the Divine Fire that is being shot into the center of the battlefield; with its boon, go shoot the add that spawns immediately (you can only kill it while under said boon), then cap one of the caputre points by lighting the fire. Bring stability, and if applicable, go to one of the cap points where Braham has cast his protective shield.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

it is not about dpsing it down for me. I can not even get to a point where i can battle the kitten thing. I cant get past getting hit by all the crap that is knocking me around like a frigging pinball, slowing me and then killing me. Over and over i have repeat this over a thousand times.  one knock down and my frigging characters just lay there while i mash button trying to get off the ground before the dragon offs me again!  I have broken 3 keyboards and 4 mice on this mission. That is how (massive expletive)frustrated I am at this POS mission. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Andy.5981 said:

Are you on an EU or NA server? If you are on an EU server I'll gladly help, send me a /whisper in game.

Thank you for the offer. I am NA sadly. And now that I moved country I find it much harder to find anyone to play with in my time zone on a NA server.  I am GMT+7

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 10:34 AM, Xsile.2915 said:

it is not about dpsing it down for me. I can not even get to a point where i can battle the kitten thing. I cant get past getting hit by all the crap that is knocking me around like a frigging pinball, slowing me and then killing me. Over and over i have repeat this over a thousand times.  one knock down and my frigging characters just lay there while i mash button trying to get off the ground before the dragon offs me again!  I have broken 3 keyboards and 4 mice on this mission. That is how (massive expletive)frustrated I am at this POS mission. 

Stability and stunbreaks prevent you from being CC'ed, and cleanses remove slowing conditions. You need to be adjusting your build to play this game, nearly all encounters require it.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what your play time schedule is, but if I'm on I'm willing to help. I'm sure you'll find plenty of players who are willing to as well. One of the more fun parts of this game is getting to help people out. Ask around in any of the hubs, and you'll likely find volunteers. 
It's been a while since I did that fight (on my warrior). I remember it being a bit annoying, but nothing that wasn't manageable eventually.

• Like 2