New Kaineng City

Well, unlike many here probably, I actually really like New Kaineng, and I really think it has great potential! I don't know about other players, but what I like most in MMOs is playing and living as my character and experiencing the world to it's fullest... You may call it "doll housing" I guess. What I'm trying to say is that New Kaineng is quite a nice location to visit and play around as my character-try out the tea house and the library or just wonder around the canals pretending to be in Venice. I do however think there is an even greater potential to this area, and yes, I know it will probably never happen because of constraints and stuff, BUT, just imagine New Kaineng became a living hub for players, with player houses and shops that sell furniture and decorations! Imagine going into restaurants where you really can sit at a table and order noodles, and not just in the story. Imagine a Chanach's club where you can sit at a table, get drunk and start a fist fight-a sort of mini PvP where no one gets... Too hurt. Maybe even do a few less erm...PG stuff...I don't know, just musing. At any rate, there is already a tea house in New Kaineng where you can sit at a table and drink tea, why not implement this mechanic to other stuff? There are so many houses and flats in New Kaineng, why not open them so players can go in? There are signs advertising restaurants, even outdoor sitting for them and food stands, why not make them so you can actually really buy food there?

Just a thought 🙂

P.s. Cantha should have had something happening there for the new year events as well... Common! It's obviously a Canthan festival!

• Like 13
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I like New Kaineng too, more so now revisiting it.  We have asked since it was introduced for being able to buy noodles from vendors and other amenities.  Still irks me that I can't lol.  

I'd love to see more events and more doors I can go into and things to interact with.  It just needs a little extra push to make it more lively.  

I know the jade color is deeply offensive to some players' sense of aesthetics, and they don't like the sterile look of the city.  I like both.  Gives it weird, something isn't quite right here vibe.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Unfortunately as they made Arborstone the player hub instead of New Keining (why?) its unlikely we'll ever see anything come of it beyond being another forgotten open-world map.

This is an interesting question... why.  I know the storyline obviously, but it was an odd pick.  I really thought New Kaineng was going to be it when I started playing EoD.  Surprise...Arborstone.  Logically, you would have a city as a hub.

I totally agree that Kaineng makes more sense than Arborstone. I also think that since the tea tables are already there, it should be easy to implement this mechanic to other things even around the rest of Tyria. For example there are ale tables in Hoelbrak- you can sit at the table but that's it...I want to drink ale at that table! And burp!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Evernite.8417 said:

Well, unlike many here probably, I actually really like New Kaineng, and I really think it has great potential!

I'm not one for the potential anything has in MMOs. Such potential is rarely, if ever fulfilled. So I guess my question is how much you really like it as it is now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evernite.8417 said:

I enjoy it very much actually... Though not much to do there other than well .. Leisurely stroll...I don't expect anything, just, wishing out loud I guess.

I fully enjoy just roaming about it as well, and I'd be glad to see additions and a revamp of it.  Make it more interactive.  Not just where I go to pick seaweed and fly about.

• Like 3

Agreed, as amazing as it looks it really lacking in interactivity. So it feels more like an art project than an actual city. And while it doesn't have to be on-par with something like GTA 4, it's at least possible to have diverse stores and merchants like in Divinitys Reach or Amnoon.

While also showing jade mech races/fights, make Brotherhood peddlers' sketchy jade tech purchasable, buy Mai Trin's apartment, the option to read about elite spec's lore more in-depth at the library, the option to debate with the hatemongers, and even skiff drag races (both sanctioned and unsanctioned) could be a thing. 

Edit: Even side remarks from the locals about me being an outsider would make it more immersive. 

Edited by cyberzombie.7348
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, cyberzombie.7348 said:

Edit: Even side remarks from the locals about me being an outsider would make it more immersive. 

That's why I loved that little line of dialogue from two Olmakhan charr in Sandswept Isles. They'll comment on the player character, and their remarks differ based on race. They wonder how a sylvari doesn't wilt in the heat, are wary of asura and have to remind themselves that not all asura are evil Inquest, are intrigued at a human because s/he's not from Elona, are totally baffled at a norn, and fangirl/fanboy over a fellow charr.

It makes the world seem that much more immersive. You, the player character, aren't just strolling through and overhearing random comments as they happen around you - some people are talking about you, and your presence in this formerly isolated place. It seems natural.

In contrast, nobody in Kaineng (that I've seen) even notices that a living plant, a massive horned cat-bull, a tiny gnome-goblin, a giant, or an obviously foreign human is wandering around.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

That's why I loved that little line of dialogue from two Olmakhan charr in Sandswept Isles. They'll comment on the player character, and their remarks differ based on race. They wonder how a sylvari doesn't wilt in the heat, are wary of asura and have to remind themselves that not all asura are evil Inquest, are intrigued at a human because s/he's not from Elona, are totally baffled at a norn, and fangirl/fanboy over a fellow charr.

It makes the world seem that much more immersive. You, the player character, aren't just strolling through and overhearing random comments as they happen around you - some people are talking about you, and your presence in this formerly isolated place. It seems natural.

In contrast, nobody in Kaineng (that I've seen) even notices that a living plant, a massive horned cat-bull, a tiny gnome-goblin, a giant, or an obviously foreign human is wandering around.

That's an interesting point.  In the personal story there are several conversations regarding if I'm a cat, and in Elona being called outlander is a reminder that you're an outsider.  Some parts of EoD have that but New Kaineng could use a dash as well.  I really want it to feel like it does in the load screen, with people and bustling.

• Like 1

There are plenty events but most just seem to be stand-alone single events or really short chains. The city really needs some big, fun group events that end up with decent bosses and have impact on the map and hubs. Hot has camp upgrade chain events between metas that end up with somewhat unique legendary bosses and change the map landscape and upgrade hubs. Pof has unique bounties and some very decent event chains. Eod has at most generic champion mobs and 2 types of ugly robots.

Where are shops, merchants, crafting stations... Its a freaking huge city. It's also time to set up a portal to Lion's Arch.

Tripple the player cap. This is really killing EOD maps.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I think that Arborstone was intended for this.

Which is odd to say the least. Arborstone feels like a hidden base, stashed away from the place that would be the most logical for traders: Kaineng Docks. Probably would've been more logical to have Kaineng Docks as a separate instance with the usual amenities rather than Arborstone with its useless mastery line.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Which is odd to say the least. Arborstone feels like a hidden base, stashed away from the place that would be the most logical for traders: Kaineng Docks. Probably would've been more logical to have Kaineng Docks as a separate instance with the usual amenities rather than Arborstone with its useless mastery line.

No argument here.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 9:45 PM, Farohna.6247 said:

I like New Kaineng too, more so now revisiting it.  We have asked since it was introduced for being able to buy noodles from vendors and other amenities.  Still irks me that I can't lol. 

I feel you.

I was fascinated with the structure of the city at first, but - unlike you - the more I revisited it, the more its flaws became obvious to me and took away any positivity I might have felt at the beginning.

There is nothing much to do, as you stated, the city feels rather empty. I am also not a fan of its color composition. But the biggest issue I have with it is its sloppy construction where textures don't align properly.

The whole thing feels rushed when it could have been so much more. I like the artwork a lot better than the actual thing.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I feel you.

I was fascinated with the structure of the city at first, but - unlike you - the more I revisited it, the more its flaws became obvious to me and took away any positivity I might have felt at the beginning.

There is nothing much to do, as you stated, the city feels rather empty. I am also not a fan of its color composition. But the biggest issue I have with it is its sloppy construction where textures don't align properly.

The whole thing feels rushed when it could have been so much more. I like the artwork a lot better than the actual thing.

I can definitely understand the dialike of the color and rushed feel to it.  Have to agree, the artwork is much more vibrant and I would have preferred it to look more like that. 

I guess for me it works currently, albeit with some needed improvements, because it has that feeling of something isn't quite right, that it's a facade, and the sterile, emptiness adds to it.  I would like to see busy docks, busy vendor areas, etc.  Maybe leave the center of the city with empty feel for the story.

• Like 2