Ping issue [Merged]

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post the following, or if I should try Players Helping Players, but here goes ...

I'm a returning player from Australia having major problems with high ping/latency when trying to participate in World Boss fights. I used to love the content back in the day, but now I just severely lag out to the point where the game becomes non-responsive and loses connection (10,000+ ping). In solo play, my ping generally sits in the high 200's, which I'm okay with.

For the other Aussies, I live in regional Queensland and connect through a 5G Telstra Home Internet connection; the only semi-reliable connection I am able to get at my house. I've tried playing through WTFast, but that seems to make things worse. I've also tried lowering my graphics option to "Best Performance" in the game's options while at World Boss fights, but that makes no difference either.

Can anyone offer any advice to help out? I miss participating in World Boss fights and other large group content. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly computer savvy, so it would help to make explanations as simple as possible.

Technician few times test my modem , Download was 90+ Mbps , Upload was 20 Mbps . He sad that modem is working fine , cos those are max limits of what provider is offering in my area and he was correct on that  . Before he left , he sad : "just for sake of it ,  I will change your modem for new one ,  to make sure I did all I could for You " . He swap modems , we run tests and they come up with same speeds as before  .  He told me that the problem must be in my comp .  I told him that trough the house I got 3 game desktops , and  I like to use from time to time different one to play .Its all depends witch part of the house I'm in , so how possible is that all 3 comps got infected with something and all end up with PING spike ? After he left my house , I start thinking : They all (3 desktops) have in common besides game ,  Windows 10 and auto updates ,  and  I did install on all of them Firefox browser and some ad blockers on top of that . something must be blocking upcoming data . Il figure Il be working on that next . Im going to start with ad blockers , than maybe after that I move to modify parts of Window  Firewall or something . So ,  what I did next is I disable "AdBlock" , and "ABP" on Firefox  , I test once more speed ,  and than I log in to  the game . For 4 hr now I'm playing GW2 . Steady at around 140 PING . No spikes whats so ever , no latency and o ready I join few events with lots of other players and finish those  . Eazy Cheezy  . Game is running smooth.  I doubt that those ad-blocker's got anything to do with it ,  It was probably modem all  the way .  To soon for me to say definitely   that my problem vanish for good , its only 4 hr I'm playing so far , but I'm optimistic . Bottom line is , I got new modem and game is running good so far . Is it possible that modem can retain top speed but is at fault cos produce those  spikes at the same time ?  ........possible , maybe , who knows

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Thomas.8759 said:

It was probably modem all  the way .

You wouldn't know unless you tested playing the game before making software changes.

It might not have been the modem at all, but the fact that replacing the modem changes your ethernet and IP addresses so any router problems related to the old IP would have been flushed.

• 3 weeks later...

If they want to have a new expansion with flying being important, they need to fix lag, I have died two times since the end of the last festival from lag-one minute, then a pause, ping goes from 26 to 1400 and I'm am splat on the floor.  This happens to a few guildmates as well and we all usually run at sub-40 pings. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Over in the down under here, getting weird lag between zones one zone is perfectly normal 200-250 ping for down here then moment i change characters or move to a different zone it feels like im playing russian roulette with it being normal ping or somewhere between 400-8000 and the weirdest part is, it just disappears if i change characters or leave to another zone and even return to the same zone, this is dreadful when in Fractals where i can't just enter and exit till it gets to normal (cause it'll impeach on the others in the party sadly).

Been told it might be a middleman server packet issue and no idea how to deal with that stuff, specially with my ISP (Optus is so f'ing bad i wish it wasn't a money saver deal i was attached too right now).

Edited by Chronoreaper.1850
  • Confused 1

Solo content has been ok (read: barely passable), but open world or instanced group content is absolutely enraging. I'm getting an average of over FOUR THOUSAND ping, and this is WITH exitlag - something the GW2 support team suggested that I use the last time I opened a ticket regarding these issues.

Edit: I'm Australian, and this has been happening for about a week or two. 

Edited by Mrs Lana.2506
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrs Lana.2506 said:

Edit: this has been happening for about a week or two.

I've been having higher ping and packet loss since a week before the last expansion launched. I went from a good/steady 260-270 to nothing lower then 320 on a good day. Then mixed in with that (usually on the weekend), it would get worse. Making general PvE stuff annoying, while PvP and WvW was just impossible.

Having said that, yes the past week (especially the weekend) has been even worse. I did what little I could (basic daily, etc) with a 1-2s skill delay and then just logged off.

I actually have an open ticket for all this, did all the basic tests, even contacted my ISP. I finally convinced Anet that the issue is with Amazon, using network traces that clearly showed a consistent and steady ping with all my ISP network hops and that things started to go wrong (much higher ping, 500+ and packet loss) once the path hit the amazon routers/servers. I proved this by doing an IP look up, and the IP's where registered to Amazon Web Services.

Even so, things are yet to improve and as stated, got worse in the past week.

If others are experiencing the same, especially from Australia, then consider actually opening a support ticket. You'll have to jump through some of the initial hoops (like it's your modem, background activity, etc), but once you can rule that out and start doing/showing network traces maybe we can provided more evidence that there is an issue with Amazon.

• Thanks 1

It is something related to Frankfurt.( Where servers are located). If you go to testmy.net and on latency tab, you will see high spikes on their server also located in Frankfurt. 

I went wild with this since September, ISP already has me on fast dial due to how much I called them, changed my router/modem/wires. Came with their laptop for tests, and all works fine on ISP side.

I live in Romania, have 1GB band, net is working perfect but the routing to servers is the problem.

Used google DNS, tried wired,  unwired, used ping plotter,  contacted support,  problem is still there.

So if anyone finds solutions,  please share.

• Like 1

I feel like when ping gets better it never gets talked, so on the slim chance that Anet did try something to fix the ping, or not(who knows it could be my ISP or anthing really) my ping has significantly improved (went from average 250 on a good day, 600 average on a bad day with 4k ping spikes, to as low as 180 today). It's been a week with stable, extremely low ping for what I usually get so that's been great. SEA on EU if that matters.

• 1 month later...

Experienced the same connection issue from SEA.

My ping has always been high, but there is no lag problem for me if I manage to log in to the game.

However, I keep getting disconnection issues:

- When changing map, disconnected or eternal loading screen

- When starting an instance (story instance, etc.), eternal loading screen

- During World Boss fights (no prior lagging), sudden disconnection.

- When logging in, eternal loading screen.