Dye and Weapons

Would you like to be able to dye your normal weapons?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be able to dye your weapons like you can normal armor? There are some that wouldn't be able to be dyed, these are named and sorted by specific factions and characters.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Yes. I would like to be able to dye my normal weapons. (including some weapons that have effects)
    • No. I have no problem with not dyeing weapons. (I tend to hide them or color match outfit/armor)
    • Yes. I would like to dye weapons, and maybe add minor effects that I can color as well. (like dripping water/blood/petals, small flames/smoke/electricity)
    • No. I would not want to dye weapons, I can find a weapon that matches, no matter what it looks like. That is why we have skins.
    • I don't know.

This probably has been brought up before. I had hoped it would have been added at some point during all of the expansions. My opinion is this. Taking a weapon and color it to match an outfit you have put together. It is jarring when you have a blue color theme and your weapon is bright gold and red, or you have a darker color theme and your weapon is bright colors that clash and stand out horribly with the darker color scheme. The weapon is the one you like design wise, but the color ends up being horrendous next to your clothing. There are so many very cool and interesting weapon skins. Some can look awesome in new color schemes, others might look ridiculous (my opinion, but I will not fault those who love having neon pink and eye searing green as their color schemes, I have characters that have had worse Black light purple with a myriad of pastel greens and blues) 

I have a Guardian, I love her armor and the colors I dyed it (a few greys, browns, with a greyed out black and red as mains). I ended up dyeing the armor to match her weapons so that I wouldn't keep looking at the really cool weapons and getting disgusted with the clash of colors (Acid green glowing bits and a true black of sorts, I only just got a black that matches, and an acid green color is still eluding me). Then I start feeling that the character is no longer where I wanted to be, because I dislike the color scheme and I end up ditching the character to play one of the other characters that I don't mind having the weapons hidden on. Now, I have recently gotten a few good weapons, but still not quite what I had wanted, and I still do not have the acid green that matches the one weapon I had found.

Going back to the original suggestion of being able to dye the weapons. I know there are named weapons and they have specific themes. We have those and they are locked to those themes, but we should be able to have similar (not exact, similar, like the named has details the similar average does not have, a sword with a name has runes and effects that are unique to the theme for the named weapon, the average has muted effects and no runes or details) that we can change the color scheme.

I hope that I was able to explain in a short enough post what I am suggesting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

Saved you a search. See my reply here (click the header above the February first date for direct link) for the dev quote on why dyeing weapons isn’t a thing and unless a dramatic solution found, never will. Your poll is unfortunately irrelevant because it’s not a popularity thing, it’s a significant technical issue

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I know why we can’t/don’t have the ability to dye weapons. It’s also a low ROI for Anet to implement this. Probably 100 things better to invest time into for the devs. 

But if they invested into making this happen I wouldn’t be disappointed. 

Neatly sums up my opinion on the matter.

Okay. I had just wanted to know. I have played other games where weapon and armor dyeing was not a thing, but was able to be implemented later in the game's running. These are games older than GW2. My fault that I didn't get any forum posts during my search through the forums. Yes, I know how to use the search bar. I had asked this same question back during Beta, 10 years ago. That, before other games I played had implemented armor changes and weapon matching, dyeing wasn't much of a thing back then. 

I hope that some day, dyeing of weapons will be implemented. I am sorry for beating a dead horse that I did not know was there after checking the forums for mentions of weapons being part of the dyeing options. 

Thank you for your answers and posting of past posts and replies. I will not bring this up again. Thank you.

This forum post can close now. I got my answer.

• Confused 3

Just because the obvious option seems to be impossible, does not mean there are no alternative approaches. The cape-topic is a wonderful example, that impossible is just a temporary expression. I do not claim the developers are wrong, but with time passing by, new options and different approaches become available. That is why it is important to bring these topic up, once in a while.

The people we have on the board who keep spamming "use search function/topic was discussed already" are not interested in changes. I do not think the problem can be solved anytime soon, but as long as it gets requested, people will ponder about it. And that is the key to progress. Thinking about solutions to problems that have not yet been solved. Sometimes there are completely different problems solved than discussed in the topic, just because somebody got an inspiration from reading the discussion. That alone justifies those re-appearing topics.

-
This will already get me a few guaranteed confused emojis from my long-term fans on the forum. I want to say Thank You for always reading my posts and pushing them with reactions and the topics with extra views. A lot of things would have never reached a certain level of popularity, if it wasn't for your personal contribution and your dedication. Your motives may not be very nice, but the consequences of your actions help me more than simply ignoring my posts. Thanks 😉
-
As it was mentioned above, the topic is not new. Thanks to @Randulf.7614for the link.

I currently can think of two options:

1.) Infusions
Probably a more simplistic approach. It would not add actual coloring options, but give ascended weapons an option to slot in special weapon-infusions. Those can grant aura-effects to weapons. Just a visual overlay of a particle-effect of a few selected colors for each weapon. As the weapon-skins all share a skin-box in common, which defines the maximum possible size of the skin, the aura can cover that. The only real problem here would be the exotic designs, which defy the original shape drastically. Like the inverted Dagger skins which have the blade on the opposite side.

2.) Next generation weapon skins
As we have seen throughout the expansions, ANet can add new objects to the account-wardrobe with separate dye options with a little effort. The dye system was complete. Then came gliders, then mounts, then capes and then skiffs.

We had the request of dye-able back-skins a lot. That is not (yet) possible. But they have added new back skins called capes with this feature. So they could add a new weapon which has no spectacular animations, but useable dye slots instead. To save resources, they can use any of the old weapon-sets, which we have plenty of by now. Strip all the dyes and effects and enable dyes only for that set under a new name. Same as with armor-skins, not all channels need to be available.

This option would leave all the existing weapon-skins untouched. But add a new kind, which has this feature available. Similar to the backpack<->cape situation.

Given how popular this topic is among the community, I think making these skins weapon-specific and gemstore-only would probably be the best solution. Like the other standalone skins. They can start with something easy like one GS and one Sword skin, which are just variations of the same skin anyway. Depending on the sales and the resource-consumption, they can decide if and how they would like to continue with this. 

-
I do not expect this to change the game. But thanks for reading this far.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, USMC RavenSaint.6729 said:

Okay. I had just wanted to know. I have played other games where weapon and armor dyeing was not a thing, but was able to be implemented later in the game's running. These are games older than GW2. My fault that I didn't get any forum posts during my search through the forums. Yes, I know how to use the search bar. I had asked this same question back during Beta, 10 years ago. That, before other games I played had implemented armor changes and weapon matching, dyeing wasn't much of a thing back then. 

I hope that some day, dyeing of weapons will be implemented. I am sorry for beating a dead horse that I did not know was there after checking the forums for mentions of weapons being part of the dyeing options. 

Thank you for your answers and posting of past posts and replies. I will not bring this up again. Thank you.

This forum post can close now. I got my answer.

Other games have it, including Guild Wars 1. 

The problem seems to be a lack of documentation on how a lot of their own code works, so things that should be workable become too much work to be worth the effort put in relative to the output. It's a problem with a lot of game development and code in other areas too.

Edited by Dovienya.6597

I think the existing skins should probably stay what they are because they often have a level of complexity that would make adding dye channels too tricky.

However, I would like them to create new weapons where they add dye channels as a new feature. Then they can design them around dyability.

Since that wasn't an option, I didn't vote.