Show the number of players in meta events

I think it would be cool for meta events such as tangled depths, chak gerent meta, for instance to show the different lanes on the quest screen and show the total number of players gathered in each lane before the meta event begins.  That way we can organize and know where to go much easier than having to call out into map chat how many players are in each lane.  Also by showing the total number of gathered players in each lane, you can easily balance the lanes and know exactly where to go at a glance.  This can also be done with the North, west, east, south at auric basin, tarir meta event, as well as any other future events that require separate squads to tackle the meta in different areas of the map.

It would also be useful to tell if there are enough people on the map for the meta to succeed at all in the first place, so we can try map hoping or go do some other activity if it appears as though nobody is in the map.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

I think it would be cool for meta events such as tangled depths, chak gerent meta, for instance to show the different lanes on the quest screen and show the total number of players gathered in each lane before the meta event begins.  That way we can organize and know where to go much easier than having to call out into map chat how many players are in each lane.  Also by showing the total number of gathered players in each lane, you can easily balance the lanes and know exactly where to go at a glance.  This can also be done with the North, west, east, south at auric basin, tarir meta event, as well as any other future events that require separate squads to tackle the meta in different areas of the map.

It would also be useful to tell if there are enough people on the map for the meta to succeed at all in the first place, so we can try map hoping or go do some other activity if it appears as though nobody is in the map.

People being near the area of the meta event doesn't mean they're necessarily taking part in it (they could do something else or even just afk). Creating squads and seeing number of the players within those squads seems to be a better way to say who -and how many- is there for the meta. And squads with commanders for each lane is what we already usually (always?) see in those active instances.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

People being near the area of the meta event doesn't mean they're necessarily taking part in it (they could do something else or even just afk). Creating squads and seeing number of the players within those squads seems to be a better way to say who -and how many- is there for the meta. And squads with commanders for each lane is what we already usually (always?) see in those active instances.

being in a squad you can still afk, and this is to help smaller groups of people doing the meta that are pugs and less organized, or for poeple who simply dont want to join a squad or interact with others.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

being in a squad you can still afk, and this is to help smaller groups of people doing the meta that are pugs and less organized, or for poeple who simply dont want to join a squad or interact with others.

Sure you can, but you also have to join that squad on purpose, which is easly more foolproof in regards of event participation than just automatically "counting up everyone who happened to be nearby".

If you see people don't want to join a squad, count them up and ask in map chat if other lanes are fine. This is also what we're already seeing in the game. Player interaction is k.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sure you can, but you also have to join that squad on purpose, which is easly more foolproof in regards of event participation than just automatically "counting up everyone who happened to be nearby".

If you see people don't want to join a squad, count them up and ask in map chat if other lanes are fine. This is also what we're already seeing in the game. Player interaction is k.

its just a qol improvement and simple to implement, more information for players is better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I’m not objecting to it, but if there’s no technical obstacle to it, then I guess it comes down to if it’s needed. Auric almost never fails. Gerent no longer requires the same level of organisation due to insane power creep. And given commanders use squads already to be more precise with their organising should they want it, we kind of already have it covered in a more accurate way.

I think the community already solved this one and bettered it with squads

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I’m not objecting to it, but if there’s no technical obstacle to it, then I guess it comes down to if it’s needed. Auric almost never fails. Gerent no longer requires the same level of organisation due to insane power creep. And given commanders use squads already to be more precise with their organising should they want it, we kind of already have it covered in a more accurate way.

I think the community already solved this one and bettered it with squads

well it could be used on any meta, like dragons end which still fails a lot

• Confused 3

For a while now I've been working on legendary sigils and runes. So I've been doing both the Ocovine and the Chak Gerent on a daily basis to get some of the currencies I need to buy provisioner tokens. So far I haven't seen either one fail. People organize themselves in map chat and use the commander tags/squads to get the number count at each gate or lane. This morning I was actually at a gate in Auric Basin that only had six people at it waiting for the meta to begin and I knew that was not enough to handle the mechanics needed at that gate. So I used LFG to find a tag at my preferred gate and found a squad with 20+ people in it and we easily won the meta. Personally I don't feel any need for the OP's suggestion. To me, the community is doing a perfectly fine job of organizing itself for these metas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

its just a qol improvement and simple to implement, more information for players is better.

More information is only better if it's accurate. More inaccurate information is just noise and risks making things more confusing.

There are some places where this happens, in a limited way. For example the Dragon's Stand meta won't start until at least 5 players are gathered around the NPC leading each lane (which I assume means Anet thinks it could be done by 15 people in total).

The problem is that without situations like that where the player is prompted to do something to show they're going to participate there's no way for the game to tell the difference between someone who is waiting for the meta and someone who just happens to be in the area but is going to keep doing their own thing, or went AFK before it started.

I suppose there could be some sort of map-wide automatic ready check where everyone is asked if they're going to join in and it displays the count of people who ticked yes. That would be open to trolling - people ticking yes and then not participating - but I think relatively few people would do that.

The bigger danger I see is a lot of meta events which need squads and enough people also need coordination between squads and between the people in them, if only for bits where the squad needs to split to complete different objectives at the same time. Giving players another incentive not to talk to each other and not join a group would make that harder, which again is counter-productive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You know how simple it is to implement?

dragon's end meta already counts the number of players on screen at the final event on top of the temple, so im assuming it cant be all that hard to detect players in an "area" at other locations.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4