Unusual Memory Usage Post-update

Not sure if this is a Bug or something else 

But I've noticed Unusually High Memory Usage in the GW2 client Following the Update. 

Pre-update it was normal to see around 15-20% RAM usage by the System in MOST non-EOD maps. EOD maps would cause it to sit at 27-30% And Not go back down until I restarted the game client ( Thus dumping the Cached RAM ) 

Post-update the normal appears to be 24-28% , rarely passing 33% , but It's definitely leaking memory somewhere, as about 5% of My RAM usage just.. goes unaccounted for when Adding things up in Task manager. 

I'm not sure if this needs looked into but I'm certainly documenting it in case it does. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah it's Definitely Got a Universal Memory leak now 

Beautiful Work Anet. Fantastically Done, really. 

I've spent SO long Optimizing things For Minimum system impact just to have Them Tinker around with Coding and Screw Everything up. My system didn't change, My settings are the same, the ONLY variable is the new patch in-game. 

Which , by process, Simply means Anet was tinkering with things Behind-the-scenes and butchered any Hope of optimization 

Edited by Witch of Steam.5138
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Also, If those of you who are just Troll reacting want to contribute literally anything to society at all, I'm welcoming suggestions. 

Actual suggestions, Not " Buy a new PC " or anything Financially related. 

As this is an issue with Anet's Coding. Maybe bumping it up so they can see they've botched something would Help. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

can't agree more with you,

the last patch butchered my game and I'm not even able to go 1 loading screen or a longer than 10min session without a crash.
don't know what the hell they've done in the graphic optimization, but they borked the hell out of it and messed up the game for so many ppl (check the tech support and see how many ppl are getting errors).

they didn't even bother to address this. shameful.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

For me the game works fine. No crashes or unusual memory usage. In the graphic driver crash post there's 8 players saying they had similar issues. If this really was a widespread problem then there would be a lot more players posting about it.

so you came here to boast your game is working fine and there is no problem?
i got a surprise for you buddy, there are people who aren't using the forums that have the same problem as us.

i don't get why you even posting here without adding anything to the conversation but rubbing salt into our wounds when saying that your game is working.
well, our game isn't working and we want a solution. go back to your class thread and use the salt here pls.

Edited by Hellion.2360
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@Hellion.2360 Not trying to rub salt on anything just stating that the game works fine for me. If there really was a widespread problem with the game then everyone would have these issues. Ofc I read the post I linked and there's already lots of advice there to help you try to solve it. Have you tried using Dx9 until Anet can fix the problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

surprise surprise going back to dx9 aint helping either.
and if you read the posts there you could see some familiar name that none of the suggested fixes worked for him.

honestly, I don't understand some ppl on this side of the tech support forum, why u bother commenting "for me it's fine"?
obviously this place is to get SUPPORT for issues and not just to flaunt at already angry ppl that your game works.

be more like @Chaba.5410, actually trying to help while the devs/support ppl are hiding.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The Crash Client Automatically gathers and sends the information off. 

As for the unusual Memory usage, That's something a Lot of Folks are talking about too . 

You can't Have a problem fixed when Anet isn't admitting there's a problem 

Dx11 Feels like it's Not even Half-Finished, and they're trying to Force everyone's client onto it. 

And you're just fine with that because it's not Bothering You Right Now 

it's guaranteed to in the future, but because you're fine now, You don't care. " Put in another Ticket, I'm sure they'll answer this one " 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am having monstrous lag spikes and crashes. It never happened before the last patch.
Also, tested many games I have and this seems to be a GW2 only issue here.
Another issue is that pingplotter shows me huge packet loss on amazonaws point. Its absurd. Anet needs to fix this.

To sum to the problem. I bought all livingworld I was missing the past few days and I can't effin play. If they do not fix this I'll ask for a refund.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Hellion.2360 said:

surprise surprise going back to dx9 aint helping either.
and if you read the posts there you could see some familiar name that none of the suggested fixes worked for him.

honestly, I don't understand some ppl on this side of the tech support forum, why u bother commenting "for me it's fine"?
obviously this place is to get SUPPORT for issues and not just to flaunt at already angry ppl that your game works.

be more like @Chaba.5410, actually trying to help while the devs/support ppl are hiding.

To be honest, it could be both: "It's just you." and "There's a memory leak."

Leaks don't have to occur for everyone.  They can be triggered by rare conditions encountered under highly specific use cases, such as only a small subset of computer systems configurations (It's just you.).  This is why opening a ticket with support (don't open multiple tickets) and providing them with all requested diagnostic information rather than relying solely upon the crash information the game will send is important.  It helps Anet track down what those use cases could be.  There's also programs that help you to monitor memory easily and determine if there's truly a leak or just the game is using more memory than it has in the past due to changes like DX9->DX11 renderers and in-game graphics settings, driver changes, etc.

It's really difficult to assist people to help them troubleshoot their specific use cases who don't provide computer spec information though.  We don't know those details from the OP.

Anet lists higher minimum system requirements for EOD (6GB of RAM instead of 4GB).  The expectation probably is that if you have purchased EOD and it's unlocked on your account, your system meets the minimum requirements for it even if you aren't playing in an EOD map.  Minimum requirements tell us that the company plans to support those specs at the minimum graphics settings basically and nothing higher.

Anyway, not like anything we've said here hasn't happened before.  Enjoy the familiarity:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Memory-leak-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Melody.8123 said:

Heya! Im not so sure if im having the issue aswell but after playing for 1 or 2 hours, my game begins to start lagging out of nowhere and its permament until i restart the game, is this caused by a memory leak?

You have to monitor your system's memory usage while running the game to determine if there's a leak.  There's plenty of articles searchable on the web detailing how to do this and which utilities to use.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mellanir.9716 said:

I am having monstrous lag spikes and crashes. It never happened before the last patch.
Also, tested many games I have and this seems to be a GW2 only issue here.
Another issue is that pingplotter shows me huge packet loss on amazonaws point. Its absurd. Anet needs to fix this.

To sum to the problem. I bought all livingworld I was missing the past few days and I can't effin play. If they do not fix this I'll ask for a refund.

You can't normally ping AWS.  To enable ping: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/directconnect/latest/UserGuide/viewdetails.html

Then Allow me to be more concise about the phrasing of the issue. 

Memory usage Across the entire Game is 10-15% HIGHER than It was PRIOR to the Gyala Delves Patch. 

this INCLDUES activity in ALL ZONES OF THE GAME , Even Eod. 

This is NOT : 

- An issue related to my hardware 
- A bad cache or corrupted file 
- Somethign that is repaired when running the -repair suffix on the launcher properties. 

This Most Likely means  There is a new , unresolved issue with the game that causes excessive memory usage 

What does not help is coming here to die on the incredibly wacky and tone-deaf Hill of " I'm not having issues, this is a You problem " 

When it is very much a decent number of people experiencing this issue, or ones with Similar symptoms 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

Then Allow me to be more concise about the phrasing of the issue. 

Memory usage Across the entire Game is 10-15% HIGHER than It was PRIOR to the Gyala Delves Patch. 

this INCLDUES activity in ALL ZONES OF THE GAME , Even Eod. 

This is NOT : 

- An issue related to my hardware 
- A bad cache or corrupted file 
- Somethign that is repaired when running the -repair suffix on the launcher properties. 

This Most Likely means  There is a new , unresolved issue with the game that causes excessive memory usage 

What does not help is coming here to die on the incredibly wacky and tone-deaf Hill of " I'm not having issues, this is a You problem " 

When it is very much a decent number of people experiencing this issue, or ones with Similar symptoms 

You know what else doesn't help?  You making claims without any evidence of anything.  Concise isn't needed.  Precision is needed.

You said it's a memory leak.  Higher memory usage isn't necessarily a leak.

You say the memory usage is "unusual" because it's higher.  So what if it's higher?  That's what happened back in 2015 too and they had everyone move to the 64-bit client.  In fact, the game used to run just fine in 32-bits but now minimum requirement is 64-bit because of the limitation in 32-bit with RAM usage and expansion of the game's memory needs.  I think you can still force it to use the 32-bit client, but memory issues would be even worse.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night I have lost keyboard input during Dragon's End Meta after using the jump skill given for mini bosses phase. Some keys such as movement or numbers intermittently stopped functioning. Pressing windows key and typing in Windows or in keyboard software all keys were fine just not in game. Enabled on screen keyboard and it was also not working inside the game. Taking a waypoint fixed the problem. This wasn't a skill lag or network lag as described in those wvw or reset leyline anomaly. I was able to cast my skills with mouse click just fine as testing. Gw2 client simply stopped receiving input from a working keyboard.

Later in the night, joined a OLC strike squad. Someone left the squad after a try, saying something happened to their PC and their keyboard do not respond to game anymore.

For the memory, I noticed some performance and fps degrading since the Gyala Delves patch. I usually let my PC idle or sleep during the day and play gw2 or let it stay on throughout the day, game performance goes worse and worse until I restart PC. This wasn't the case before the patch and I have also had some crashes with dump files in gw2 folder.

For the record, I have 32GB ddr4 running in the system.

Edited by fatihso.7258
  • Sad 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:40 PM, Witch of Steam.5138 said:

Not sure if this is a Bug or something else 

But I've noticed Unusually High Memory Usage in the GW2 client Following the Update. 

Pre-update it was normal to see around 15-20% RAM usage by the System in MOST non-EOD maps. EOD maps would cause it to sit at 27-30% And Not go back down until I restarted the game client ( Thus dumping the Cached RAM ) 

Post-update the normal appears to be 24-28% , rarely passing 33% , but It's definitely leaking memory somewhere, as about 5% of My RAM usage just.. goes unaccounted for when Adding things up in Task manager. 

I'm not sure if this needs looked into but I'm certainly documenting it in case it does. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1