How to deal with Nade/Pistol Shield Engis

senftube.6081

Because of the thread where peoples want to delete the thief class, because they think it is busted i gave this class again a try. And guess what my first enemy was this engi. I had no chance against him because the constant pressure, insane Nade Dmg and CC was to much. Is there any strategy how to deal with them?

When i did go on distance with bow he blocks and when i do dmg it is healed away or he has barrier.

Edit: ofc WvW situation.

Edited by Yunari.9065
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I run rifle deadeye with s/x and make sure I have smokescreen slotted. Then once that expires I reposition and bunker down using sniper's cover. Typically in a V pattern to help cover my sides. (If I'm really feeling cheeky I run d-series golem since it's has projectile block w/ a light field). 

I also run staff daredevil and use the aa, since the 3rd chain is a reflect. 

If it's a scrapper one thing to remember is to not waste your damage on barrier. Deny their means first, then wait it out a bit so their barrier drops, then burst. 

If it's a rabid engi though I just bail, and re-spec into condi transfer when I see them again.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Yunari.9065 said:

Because of the thread where peoples want to delete the thief class, because they think it is busted i gave this class again a try. And guess what my first enemy was this engi. I had no chance against him because the constant pressure, insane Nade Dmg and CC was to much. Is there any strategy how to deal with them?

When i did go on distance with bow he blocks and when i do dmg it is healed away or he has barrier.

Edit: ofc WvW situation.

Maybe an idea to ask the people who said thief is busted. Apparently they know best 😉

May help to say what build *you* are running though. I mean I can tell you what I do, but it won't help if you're trying a completely different build.

There's also the simple fact that there are some engineers who outplay me and so I barely hit them at all. Try running into a few more first, see if you spot any regularities to their attacks, patterns, what they do, what they do when they see *you* doing something and so on - as well as understanding whether you're just being massively outplayed or it's something you can overcome with some experience.

Edited by Chips.7968
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just don't fight fair.

The players don't like thieves because they have "too much damage and mobility." And we get nerfed from being able to fight fairly. So... be a dishonorable cur and show them what happens when you force thief to fight like this.

Use berserker gear and some runes for health.

Take dagger/dagger and prepare shadow portal, take assassin sigil. Take mug. The idea is to hit them with an alpha strike and start the fight with a massive resource advantage.

Drop portal somewhere safe. Pop Basilisk venom if its off cooldown. Press 4, Channel 5 and steal on it to catch them with the first burst combo. Move to their back while they are stuck and stab them. Heart seeker them to death.

If they live, swap to bow and shadowstep off. If you're in trouble use shadow portal to escape.

If you're a daredevil you might want to carry distracting dagger. D/D has no interrupts, and they are usually gonna panic heal. Slow heals heal for a lot, and are interruptible.

You can also pop an assassin's signet if you wanna end them rightly.

Just be careful with the basilisk venom. Its easy to see coming and they will know what you're about to do.

Edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497
  • Like 2

I actualy battled one of these not too long ago~ retreated a few times and swapped builds and the final verdict was why even bother Xd We couldn't kill each other and I got bored. Both of us could just easily zoom away and heal when low though.

It's amazing how much damage some builds can do while being able to take none or I'm just really feeling that Thief-squish. I also can't stand ppl going invulnerable to damage with no counterplay possible when they need to heal. I'd honestly rather fight someone invisible than that cuz I can at least still have a chance to hit them.