Gold farming advice for returning player

Hi guys, can I get some advice on what I can do to farm gold at the moment? Confused with all the guides out there as a returning player and I'm quite lost with all the content going on. Been doing the dailies but it's not always time efficient for just 2g. 

At the moment, I have a lvl 80 necro that I boosted up after getting the 3 expansions, so I have the included ascended gear.

I've completed only core story and playing through PoF for the story and the mounts. Still have 3200 gems which I suppose I can use to unlock living stories - keeping them for discounts for the skyscale episodes.

My current plan is to work my way down PoF and EoD before going back to HoT so I can collect mounts and some of the QoL stuff I saw.

Mainly a casual player putting in 2-3 hours a night, and any extra gold I'm going to put into some nice mount skins coz I really love all the different mounts!

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions! 

• Confused 1

A small sample:

* Instanced content (in order) :high level fractals, strike missions, raids, dungeons.

* Open World meta events: Dragonfall , Drizzlewood South, Dragon's End, Octovine, Paladawan, Drakkar, Aetherblade Defense, Dragon Stand, Verdant Brink...  

* Farming raw stuff (rich mining ores of orichalcum, quartz...) gathering crops of high value as falx, seaweed, etc...

* Alt parking near splendid chests.

* PvP ranked matches and automated tournaments.

* Crafting and selling stuff, specially time caped ascended components.

* Trading (buying and selling from the Black Lion Market, but requires good knownledge of the market to anticipate forward demand since there's a 15% tax so can end in loses).

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

Personally I have no idea since I don't farm gold but I see the https://fast.farming-community.eu/ page suggested quite often here and seems like it's kept up to date very well.

Thanks ser, but I can hardly make any head or tail out of it when I looked through. Seems like it's for people who actually know the maps and stuff, was hoping to get some initial points on where to start. 

1 hour ago, Buran.3796 said:

A small sample:

* Instanced content (in order) :high level fractals, strike missions, raids, dungeons.

* Open World meta events: Dragonfall , Drizzlewood South, Dragon's End, Octovide, Paladawan, Drakkar, Aetherblade Defense, Dragon Stand, Verdant Brink...  

* Farming raw stuff (rich miniong ores of orichalcum, quartz...) gathering crops of high value as falx, seaweed, etc...

* Alt parking near splendid chests.

* PvP ranked matches and automated tournaments.

* Crafting and selling stuff, specially time caped ascended components.

* Trading (buying and selling from the Black Lion Market, but requires good knownledge of the market to anticipate forward demand since there's a 15% tax so can end in loses).

Thanks for that! Haven't done any of the instanced stuff and not sure what the different events you mentioned are, but will go look 'em up. 

welcome back.

i'd say the most efficient gold per time spent is getting gems on the black lion tp, and trading them over to gold.

failing that, grinding fractals has never let me down goldwise, and it doesn't require you to go all over hell's half acre to find stuff. however, running all over hell's half acre looting daily stuff, etc, is probably around 80-90 gph depending on your activity.

failing that, the popular meta maps would be best. drizzlewood, silverwastes, kourna, dragonfall, dragon's end, etc. run the metas, do boss fights / world bosses/ swap maps before diminishing returns sets in, etc. sell the t6 mats, and other stuff.

i'd also say to temper your expectations based on your achievement points / mf/goldfind %ages. the game coughs up rewards and gold a lot differently for a 0 achievement point player compared to a 30k achievement point player with a few years worth of monthly login bonuses. it's well worth your time doing story and achievement point completionism. you only need to do it once, and the reward stays with you.

Edited by SinisterSeven.2781

As you have figured out so far, the best methods require experience and knowledge. But there are some rather easy methods. Those do not make you filthy rich. They can be done early and help you with a steady income until you are experienced enough to to for the real farming. 

1.) Charged Quartz
It is one of the few daily crafts, which are very valuable. You need to obtain 25 Quartz Crystals and interact with any Hero Challenge (glowing orb) to fuse them into a charged one. You can either buy those from the TP or farm them in the Dry Top & Crystal Oasis.

If you have Charged Quartz, you can craft Piece of Skyscale Food in the Mystic Forge. You need Bloodstone Dust, which you gather on the go. Slabs of Red Meat, which you collect from killing animals or buy from TP. And Globs of Ectoplasm, which you obtain from salvaging rare & exotic gear. The final product can be sold on TP again.

The fewer ingredients you buy on TP, the more profit you gain from this method. Even if you have to buy the meat and globs, you still make some noticeable profit.

Note: Dry Top is a nice map to gather valuable materials in general. The Quartz nodes always are in the same locations. When walking to them, there are plenty of other nodes on the way. If you spend more time on that map, you also earn the map-currency. You can exchange it for 25 Bricks of Clay and craft a Clay Pot (Artificer 400, recipe from the same vendor). Which is also some good money.

2.) Iron Ore
This rather simple metal is a key ingredient in a lot of recipes, up to ascended gear. There is a huge demand for it. So this is still one of the easiest methods to make some pocket-money early in the game. All you have to do is gather the Iron Ore in the maps.

Iron Ore can be gathered in Brisban Wildlands, in the north-west corner at the canyon near Gallowfields Waypoint.
There is also plenty of it in the Gendarran Fields, near the mountains (both sides). 

3.) Elder Wood
As you have a level 80 character, you can also go for the Elder Wood. While it is lower in price, you can farm more of this faster.

Best non-expansion/LW location still is the area west of Paggas Waypoint (bottom right corner) in Malchor's Leap.

4.) Silverwastes
If you have boosted a character, you know this place. It is one of the oldest and still most reliable farming maps in the game. Best method is to join an organized RIBA map on the LFG (= Central Tyria Squads). The system is rather simple. RIBA stands for Red-Indigo-Blue-Amber, the four camps in the map. You rotate through the map visiting those places, hit and run whatever you see. Make sure to participate in as many events as possible. You get a ton of loot in no time. Final boss and the 'chest runs' give even more loot. Just join the others and slowly learn how the map works. It is not difficult, but too much to explain in this little thread ;). 

The map and its farming is also the perfect example to explain how most money in GW2 is made. Most of the loot you obtain there are containers, which generate random loot upon opening. You are supposed to salvage those items and sell the resulting materials on TP.

You can do this as a level 80 character and get acceptable money out of it. But if you ask people in the map, they may make double or triple of your income. The reason behind this mystery is, they use a bag opener. The level of the loot that drops from the containers depends on the level of the character which opens them. Upon salvaging the drops, you gain different materials. Materials from level 80 salvaging sell OK, but they are not at the peak. >Bag Opener level ranking for profit<

Once you have understood Silverwastes farming, you can get money out of most Open World activities easily. There are some maps that provide better loot than others. That map might not be the best, but it is the easiest for sure.

5.) Tequatl
Probably the most profitable Worldboss in Core Tyria. While the fight itself looks rather complicated, organized groups can make quick work of the dragon. I highly recommend using the >Event Timer<, which can also be opened remotely ingame via "/wiki et". There you can see all timed events and worldbosses in the game and when they are supposed to happen. 

For Tequatl, it might be best to enter the Sparkfly Fen around 10 minutes before the worldboss spawns. Head to the LFG, World Boss section and join any organized squad.

If they are in another instance, just rightclick on any of the player squares in your squad menue and click on "Join Sparkfly Fen".

Tequatl loots gold, plenty of karma and containers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow, thanks so much! I think that's exactly what I need to get started. I don't need tons of gold, just a more steady stream of income so I can get ready for the griffon and skyscale, while learning to get into the groove of things. Really appreciate the links as well! 

I've tried my first T1 fractals today and it's quite manageable, managed to sprint myself to Auric Basin but struggling to get around due to lack of masteries, so I think I got a few places to slowly settle into before attempting more ambitious things. Silverwastes seems like a great place to familiarise with the map farming, will give that a shot next. 

Best tip i can give is use your resources rather than selling them.

The best way to make money is to save money, rather than buying materials is there way you can harvest them or even better upgrade them with spirit shards. The less you interact with the trading post the better.

• Like 1

Fracts (cms-t4's), planting & harvesting cilantro/mint/peppercorn in home instance, buying weekly Ancient summ stones in Arborstone, daily looting from the guaranteed jade runestone chests, meta's with guaranteed loot like drizzlewood, dragonfall, silverwastes, palawadan or meta's with a bit less guaranteed but chance at lottery (aka infusion) such as Chak in TD, Octo in AB, Soo won in DE, Pinata, Drakkar etc. Teq is always worth it for the 15k karma, daily EoD strike missions till you've done all once/week (CM if able to), 8 dungeon paths/day (very good gold with a fixed group and unmatched if using HotW skip, AC triple path merge, Cof skip, stealth in Cm or minor skips in TA/CoE). The best of everything is world comping as with markers it's easy to do them in like 12h and the 2 gifts are worth 1400g but you can only do it as long as you have spirit shards to cover clover rolls and bloodstone shards. You do need to spend 6-8h in wvw for each gift though so in total it's like 24h for 1400g which is 58g/hour. And that's without including all the loot from your wvw tracks/kills or  mob rewards and bl keys from the world comp.

Long story short, anything in this game gives plenty of gold nowadays so just do whatever you like and switch it up from time to time. Farming something specific non-stop just because it gives a few extra g/hour will just burn you out from the game in the long run so it's a waste of time as it's better to just have fun doing things you like, while still getting plenty of gold anyways. 

• Like 1

Harvesting home instance nodes and guild hall nodes.  Whenever you see a daily that is a lumberer, forager, or miner in one of the zones that has a capital city, go to that zone's capital and ask in map chat for anyone sharing their full home instance.  For example, if the daily is Kryta Lumberer, go to Divinity's Reach.  A) You quickly complete a daily, and B) you get a ton of resources in very short order.  Some of those materials are worth more than others if you sell on the TP, alternatively, store them up and use them for crafting purposes.

If you have a block of time, try finding a Silverwastes RIBA map in LFG.  The point of a RIBA map is really the chest train that happens after the Vinewrath event.

Once you get into EoD and get Arborstone fully unlocked, buy your 5 Ancient Summoning Stones every week and sell them (assuming you don't need them for your own gen 3 legendary crafting).

Weekly Guild mission and then trade the guild commendation to the trader in the guild hall for stuff you can make money on.

Lastly, gw2efficiency.com.  It will tell you things about your account you never knew you didn't know.  You can use it to find stuff you can make money on in your material storage, you can use it to investigate investment opportunities, etc.  Really powerful tool, plus there is the monthly lottery that you can win that is free to enter.

You already have a lot of excellent suggestions. I make one more: figure out what fraction of your gaming time you are willing specifically toward making money vs. priorising fun. Whatever you do, it's a game, not a job. This being said, I see four basic gold-making approaches.

1. Gems to gold. Fastest, most efficient. Unless, as you said, you want to buy gems to get mount skins.
  2. Dailies. Not just your three standard dailies, but also Tequatl, EoD strikes, Dragonstorm, etc.
  3. Good junk. Don't laugh. Some activities yield expensive grey items to be vendored. Fractals are so profitable in good part beccause of that, as well as so-called bauble-farming.
  4. Trading post. Find something people want. Gather or make it efficiently, sell it. This is where fortunes are made by the canny people.

Good luck.

On 3/28/2023 at 9:07 AM, Harfang.1507 said:

You already have a lot of excellent suggestions. I make one more: figure out what fraction of your gaming time you are willing specifically toward making money vs. priorising fun. Whatever you do, it's a game, not a job. This being said, I see four basic gold-making approaches.

1. Gems to gold. Fastest, most efficient. Unless, as you said, you want to buy gems to get mount skins.
  2. Dailies. Not just your three standard dailies, but also Tequatl, EoD strikes, Dragonstorm, etc.
  3. Good junk. Don't laugh. Some activities yield expensive grey items to be vendored. Fractals are so profitable in good part beccause of that, as well as so-called bauble-farming.
  4. Trading post. Find something people want. Gather or make it efficiently, sell it. This is where fortunes are made by the canny people.

Good luck.

Buy Potent Blood then upgrade it to Powerful Blood 20% profit each time.