[Poll] Should we be able to hide other players' skyscales?

Should we be able to hide other players' skyscales?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Skyscales are cool but they can be annoying when 1) they slow down your game, 2) they hide things you actually want to see on your screen, 3) their shiny flapping wings make your screen blink every second. Do you want a graphic setting added to the game so each player can choose whether or not they see other players' skyscales? It can be hiding the skyscales, making the skyscales transparent like the turtles, or something else.

6 minutes ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

It's more fun and quicker to do them in a group especially if you're new.

And skyscales don't do anything to make it somehow hard to follow the group, so still not sure how that's attempted to be used as an argument here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

16 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

You can solo PoF hero points 

Maybe you can, but I was having a hard time on core elementalist.

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And skyscales don't do anything to make it somehow hard to follow the group, so still not sure how that's attempted to be used as an argument here.

Is it somehow not a problem for you?  Because it's really a problem for me with all the wings flapping around and effects on screen.

• Like 5
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Aeis.8519 said:

Is it somehow not a problem for you? 

How is it supposed to be a problem? If you're using ground mounts, you can move faster while using their skills or slower while not using those. So if that truly is somehow such an issue for you, you have the control whether you want to keep going under any skyscale user involved or not and that's without even introducing, you know, taking few steps to the side.

...still unclear how skyscale is supposed to be making following the train hard, where -apparently?- participants would be required to memorize the path themselves or lose the group?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

How is it supposed to be a problem? If you're using ground mounts, you can move faster while using their skills or slower while not using those. So if that truly is somehow such an issue for you, you have the control whether you want to keep going under any skyscale user involved or not and that's without even introducing, you know, taking few steps to the side.

...still unclear how skyscale is supposed to be making following the train hard, where -apparently?- participants would be required to memorize the path themselves or lose the group?

But I am using the ground mounts and their abilities.  It's just sometimes I can't see where I'm positioned because there's 3-4 flapping skyscales on my screen covering my character so I just jump off in a direction which is usually not the correct direction.  Also, please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anyone had to memorize a path.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

I don't think the fact that some people paid for gem store skins hoping other players would be impressed by them is a necessary concern. The type of people who would turn off the ability to see everyone else's skyscales aren't going to care about seeing gem store skins anyway, otherwise they wouldn't turn it off.

Most likely it won't have any noticeable effect because I think it's relatively rare that players actually tell each other what they think of their character or mount skins, and even rarer that it's negative comments. Most of the time if someone hates how your mount looks you'll never know. You might see them move away, but will have no way of knowing if that's because of you or completely unrelated. So there will be no noticeable change if they can't see your mount.

Over the years I've done everything from literal glowing rainbow characters or a black void to all grey to as realistic as I could make them and everything in between and I can't remember a single time someone made negative comments about them (except when I asked my guild for feedback, but that's different). The nearest I've had is stupid comments about The Dreamer and then I think it's people who can't seem to articulate that they don't like the sound and don't realise they can turn it off.

I've also bought several mount skins (and other cosmetics) from the gem store which I think look good and fit my characters. But I couldn't care less if other people like it, if they do that's a bonus and if they don't it's irrelevant to me because I'm doing it for myself - picking things I think look good because I like it. I also like looking at how other people design their characters, including mounts (I especially like creative dye jobs on mounts that fit the character), but if I don't like them I probably won't even be aware I've thought about it because they just won't stand out from the crowd.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Aeis.8519 said:

But I am using the ground mounts and their abilities. It's just sometimes I can't see where I'm positioned because there's 3-4 flapping skyscales on my screen covering my character

Which is why I said: If you're using ground mounts, you can move faster while using their skills or slower while not using those. So if that truly is somehow such an issue for you, you have the control whether you want to keep going under any skyscale user involved or not and that's without even introducing, you know, taking few steps to the side

Which part of this is not understandable or somehow suggesting you're definitely not using their abilities (because otherwise I don't understand why you've responded with what you wrote)?

so I just jump off in a direction which is usually not the correct direction. 

I don't think it's needed at all, but if you somehow lose sense of direction, use the minimap in those crucial fractions of seconds a skyscale is in your view. We can see the direction group/commander is going in and there's nothing anyone can do to change that.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth, I never said anyone had to memorize a path.

I'm not putting anything in your mouth. I'm referring to the post from the previous page. And I'm sure you know exactly who I'm talking about 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

55 minutes ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

For you, yeah.  Personally, I'd rather not see anyone else but my party or subsquad (and tag) for the purpose of boons, healing, and reviving.

Wow, so now we're somehow moving into some specific party compositions in hp trains? None of that matters in those trains, it's just arriving to its destinations, led by a clearly visible commander/formed group and then brute-forcing its way through hero "challenges" where people aren't even mounted in the first place because they need to tag the mobs. Rezing is easly done by random people pressing F whenever the rez prompt shows up, exactly like in any other zerged content. What does a "party/subsquad for boons healing and reviving" have to do with anything here? Even moreso, while in combat when people are obviously not mounted? The reasoning you're trying to use here doesn't seem to match the thread.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Wow, so now we're somehow moving into some specific party compositions in hp trains?

I don't recall talking about HP trains (It's been a couple days and I don't think about these forums unless I'm on them), but sure, yeah, let's go with that, I guess.  It's not that wild of an assumption to make to have people jumping in on their giant, glowing skyscales to get into a fight. There's a reason my player model limit is set to lowest as it's the only bandaid fix to the obnoxious garbage that are the turtle and skyscale (And people playing max size norn or charr with the biggest backpacks possible.)

None of that matters in those trains, it's just arriving to its destinations, led by a clearly visible commander/formed group and then brute-forcing its way through hero "challenges" where people aren't even mounted in the first place because they need to tag the mobs.

That's the other thing, it's not clearly visible to some people (As proof of other people talking in this thread).  For some reason, you seem to think this isn't necessary when player character visibility should be top priority as having your model visible makes the game that much clearer. 

Let's deviate a little here and talk about another game mode where people follow pins on a map.   In WvW still have difficulty staying on tag when said tag is moving from objective to objective and there aren't really any mounts that allow players to move that much faster than swiftness. (Before you bring it up, the warclaw provides AoE speed buff to allied players around it).  This is known as the 'tail' and is usually what roamers harass.  There's less visibility problems in WvW from allied players (Specifically moving objective to objective.  Fights are  another story entirely), so we'll use that visibility as a baseline for what it should be in pve.

Flying down to champions in Drizzlewood (Post south meta), is usually swamped with skyscales and turtles on the ground.  Targetting the champ (Which dies in a few seconds, mind you) isn't always possible with a mouse click due to the sheer number of players.  Sure, there's tab targetting but that's also not that reliable as it doesn't appear to prioritize champions over the random moa that's also on screen (Moa is an example and could be anything but what you actually want to shoot).

When following tags, the tag has no control over what other players do, really.  They're the general direction the group should head, but they can't force people to get off their skyscales and turtles to clear the air and give better visibility when moving from point to point.  Personally, I haven't had that trouble, but I can see how someone could because I've been in groups before when I had my settings tuned up to show all players.  New players won't really understand everything about visibility, what can be ignored, what should be focused on, where the tag may be going in general.   A moment's distraction to adjust your view to get around the visually obstructing player and find yourself in the crowd may be  all it takes for a new player to lose track of the tag and f all dreadfully behind.  Making large mounts see-through or even just mounted people in general see through (Even if it's only while in a squad) when nearby is a step towards solving this issue. 

Rezing is easly done by random people pressing F whenever the rez prompt shows up, exactly like in any other zerged content. What does a "party/subsquad for boons healing and reviving" have to do with anything here? Even moreso, while in combat when people are obviously not mounted? The reasoning you're trying to use here doesn't seem to match the thread.

The reasoning I'm using here is general.  It's why player character visibility is important and why anything large or such should be toned down or made see-through so players can always see their own character.  The rest was reasoning why I'd want it as boon and buff priority goes to your subsquad first and closest person outside your subsquad second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

I wouldn't mind being able to hide others' skyscales. I would set that function as soon as it became available. I might even be willing to pay a few gems for the ability. The flapping wings, etc, dont always interfere with my view but it does happen enough to be a net negative for me.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, entrailsgalore.4150 said:

Wow 60% overwhelmingly voted No.

I don't know that 84 of 141 accounts in a community many times that size is overwhelming, but that's the trouble with polls on forums (and polls in general). On the flipside, the majority of comments (by unique users) appear to be neutral about or receptive to giving people more control over visual noise re: Skyscales. Always consume your forum content with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I don't know that 84 of 141 accounts in a community many times that size is overwhelming, but that's the trouble with polls on forums (and polls in general). On the flipside, the majority of comments (by unique users) appear to be neutral about or receptive to giving people more control over visual noise re: Skyscales. Always consume your forum content with a grain of salt.

Yep, and if it was 60% voting Yes, we'd still have to take that with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Below is the list of issues players experience with skyscales.--Please let me know if I missed your comments and I will add them.

- Lag which cannot be resolved by lowering graphic settings using the options we have

- They hide what you actually want to see. For example, the holes and other obstacles on the ground in HoT maps and others, your own character.

- Your screen flashing because of the skyscale wings. With 1-2 skyscales, you can walk away but it's annoying to be forced doing that every time a new skyscale flies in. When there are 4-5 or more skyscales in meta events where people wait for spawns, it can be hard to even walk away.

Please acknowledge that people are being annoyed. I understand not everyone feels the same way to the same thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2