Stories Locked Behind Raids [Merged]

We have heard the complaints about GW2 not being the GW1 2.0 some were looking for ever since it released back in 2012. Always made me wonder how much nostalgia is actually involved in that point of view. Players want old regions, characters and content to return but instantly hate them at first glance when they don't happen to be exact copies of the old designs, content and stories they remember fondly from their first MMORPG.These zones were raid content there and they are raid content here. The way raids are handled and designed, however, changed drastically over the years to focus around action combat, mechanics and to get away from trash mobs and "tank and spank bosses". This is the year 2017 (almost 2018) in the end.I could tell you about my first MMORPG and how awesome it was but a game like that would never work in 2017 for the most part. You can always go back to replay old games you remember so fondly. I do that frequently myself. It can actually help to open your eyes a little sometimes.

@Amineo.8951 said:I'm more shocked about the fact that we got yet another human raid boss... Such a letdown considering Gorseval, Samarog and Deimos existed, the only cool human boss in raids is Matthias because of how unique he is compared to any other human raid boss.

Was thinking the same thing when I saw another big human.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just waiting for this post to come up xD You literally expect everything to be handed to you for 0 effort?

I mean, by this logic, every content/story/whatever is gated behind something. What if I'm a pvp player and want to experience the story behind Arah, but I suck at pve and can't be bothered to kill the mobs? Anet should introduce a baby mode of all Arah/dungeon/Fractals now?

What if I want to experience the story in the new fractal but can't actually be bothered to run it?

@syntohras.1064 said:That is sad....so i won't see the uw because i do not play Raids. =(

You do realise you can "walk in" and explore a bit etc without even starting the first boss, right?

As far as the other wings. Some of the "lore" in them, wing 2 for example, had journals specifically saying "I should return to this once the area is clear" There is 0 verbal lore in raids, apart from a few lines being said, over and over again. Everything else is readily available after the wing is cleared, and people have been offering open instances to explore to your hearts content since forever.

Don't cry about something you haven't actually tried to explore.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:UW, FoW, DoA, Urgoz, these are all perfect material for raid content in GW2. However, the current way of making raids in this game is a slap to the face to all fans of GW1 original content. There is no exploration or chainquests, this is just Boss > Event > Boss. At this point I only feel reinforced in my opinion they should stop making raids "immersive" and just deliver platforms with bosses and mechanics.

Also, Dhuum looks stupid.

These devs didn't earn the right to use such a great place like GW1 UW and turn it into such a joke like this new wing.

If you don't want to raid in gw2, don't, but don't blame the community.

Community is the reason I stopped raiding so in my case they are to blame :)

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Wicked.5479 said:even in prophecies you could still clear UW with like 4 man easy. whereas this raidsystem is purely time/damagegated so doin it with just a few friends is near impossible

I heard people clear GW2 raids (at least the old ones) with like 5 people. So, as long you have competent friends, I guess you can do that too.

This is a non-argument here. The intended design for this content is 10-man. Some people can drive cars on 2 wheels but it doesn't mean everyone should.

you are part of the community,so blame yourself

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:UW, FoW, DoA, Urgoz, these are all perfect material for raid content in GW2. However, the current way of making raids in this game is a slap to the face to all fans of GW1 original content. There is no exploration or chainquests, this is just Boss > Event > Boss. At this point I only feel reinforced in my opinion they should stop making raids "immersive" and just deliver platforms with bosses and mechanics.

These devs didn't earn the right to use such a great place like GW1 UW and turn it into such a joke like this new wing.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Wicked.5479 said:even in prophecies you could still clear UW with like 4 man easy. whereas this raidsystem is purely time/damagegated so doin it with just a few friends is near impossible

I heard people clear GW2 raids (at least the old ones) with like 5 people. So, as long you have competent friends, I guess you can do that too.

This is a non-argument here. The intended design for this content is 10-man. Some people can drive cars on 2 wheels but it doesn't mean everyone should.

I don't identify myself as a raider anymore, so no :)

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

But you was when you did.Or did you stop because you read mean comments from them in the forum?Seriously, please stop your personal vendetta against raids. We already got it.

This is NOT gw1 either. So stop comparing to that old game.

@maddoctor.2738 said:They should make the following changes to the new Raid:2) Make it so only worlds that have favor enter, maybe favor = only the top worlds in WvW each week can enter?

I'm on Blackgate and so is 7 other people in my raid group, I'd be fine and just laughing at everyone else.

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

But you was when you did.Or did you stop because you read mean comments from them in the forum?Seriously, please stop your personal vendetta against raids. We already got it.

I can compare and will do so because GW2 is a sequel and reintroduces things we know from GW1, as I paid for both games I am entitled to do so :)

You don't know why I stopped raiding but thank you for your comment proving exactly what is wrong with this community :)

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

I can compare and will do so because GW2 is a sequel and reintroduces things we know from GW1, as I paid for both games I am entitled to do so :)

You don't know why I stopped raiding but thank you for your comment proving exactly what is wrong with this community :)

So please tell us the Story of Keldorn, i would love to hear that.There must be a big reason why someone is not playing a super fun part of this game.

How does my comment proof anything?That i am i annoyed by you? Yes. (Sorry for not suggarcoating it)You can´t spread so much negativity without receiving some. But apperenty thats a community issue.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

What if I want to experience the story in the new fractal but can't actually be bothered to run it?

what story lol

exactly. There is next to 0 story in raids.

My comment was about new fractal, you probably got confused :)

I was using fractals/dungeons/etc as an example as to how incredibly unavailable the "lore" therein is. Exactly what people have been crying about since raids were launched.

The argument is basically, I want something, but can't be bothered to play it.

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

So please tell us the Story of Keldorn, i would love to hear that.There must be a big reason why someone is not playing a super fun part of this game.

How does my comment proof anything?That i am i annoyed by you? Yes. (Sorry for not suggarcoating it)You can´t spread so much negativity without receiving some. But apperenty thats a community issue.

Thank you for your response :) I don't see a reason why should I share anything with you :) If you are annoyed then maybe think about taking a break from forums or game, give yourself some time, chill, drink your favourite fruit tea and relax :) There is no reason to spread negativity :)

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

what story lol

I was using fractals/dungeons/etc as an example as to how incredibly unavailable the "lore" therein is. Exactly what people have been crying about since raids were launched.

Except I agree that UW should be raid. Thing is I find this raid lame in comparison to GW1 UW, which is a disappointment :)

Not sure why people are saying that Underworld was a raid in Guild Wars 1. Underworld was an elite area in Guild Wars 1, that required you to be ascended...that's true. But a raid isn't definied as hard content or end game content. It's defined as having a raid group which is larger than a normal max character group. In Guild Wars 1, you could have 8 players in end game areas, and you can have 8 characters in the underworld. To my mind, the only actual raids in Guild Was 1 were the Deep and Urgoz's Warren because they allowed for up to 12 characters, which is more than anywhere else in the game.

How are people calling the Underworld a raid?

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

Thank you for your response :) I don't see a reason why should I share anything with you :)
If you are annoyed then maybe think about taking a break from forums or game, give yourself some time, chill, drink your favourite fruit tea and relax :) There is no reason to spread negativity :)

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

what story lol

Except I agree that UW should be raid. Thing is I find this raid lame in comparison to GW1 UW, which is a disappointment :)

Please, good madam/sir exactly that!If you are annoyed by raids..... :) <--this was added extra for you

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

Thank you for your response :) I don't see a reason why should I share anything with you :)
If you are annoyed then maybe think about taking a break from forums or game, give yourself some time, chill, drink your favourite fruit tea and relax :) There is no reason to spread negativity :)

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

what story lol

Please, good madam/sir exactly that!If you are annoyed by raids..... :) <--this was added extra for you

But I'm taking break from raids currently, that's why I'm giving you this advice because I know from my rich experience this helps :)

However, as a fan of GW1, I feel invited to review this new wing because it tries to bring old magic from GW1 and I don't like how it was made. And devs made this place to share my views with them :)

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

Thank you for your response :) I don't see a reason why should I share anything with you :) If you are annoyed then maybe think about taking a break from forums or game, give yourself some time, chill, drink your favourite fruit tea and relax :) There is no reason to spread negativity :)

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

what story lol

GW2 is lame in some aspects as compared to GW1 and I agree. UW from GW1 was much prettier.

@Vayne.8563 said:How are people calling the Underworld a raid?

Using your definition of a Raid, content that uses higher than the max player count, Underworld qualifies because in the rest of the game you could play with henchmen, but they were disabled in the Underworld and you could only go in with a team of 8 humans. Although there were zones that required 8 people, you could very well go there solo with 7 henchmen, something impossible for the Underworld.

Other than that I suppose another definition of a Raid is the hardest content in a game. After all, Arenanet developers did say that they want their Raids to be the hardest content, and the Underworld was also the hardest PVE content in GW1, so by the developer definition they are both Raids.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

what story lol

But I'm taking break from raids currently, that's why I'm giving you this advice because I know from my rich experience this helps :)

However, as a fan of GW1, I feel invited to review this new wing because it tries to bring old magic from GW1 and I don't like how it was made. And devs made this place to share my views with them :)

Does´t seem to help much, because there is a post from you in every raid related thread.Please share it, but stop "side bashing" everything raid related, it wasn´t the raid community who desided to make uw a raid.

At this point I only feel reinforced in my opinion they should stop making raids "immersive" and just deliver platforms with bosses and mechanics.

Things like this read like "they don´t deserve it".just because you exlude yourself (for whatever reason) from that content doesn´t mean others like it.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:How are people calling the Underworld a raid?

Using your definition of a Raid, content that uses higher than the max player count, Underworld qualifies because in the rest of the game you could play with henchmen, but they were disabled in the Underworld and you could only go in with a team of 8 humans. Although there were zones that required 8 people, you could very well go there solo with 7 henchmen, something impossible for the Underworld.

Other than that I suppose another definition of a Raid is the hardest content in a game. After all, Arenanet developers did say that they want their Raids to be the hardest content, and the Underworld was also the hardest PVE content in GW1, so by the developer definition they are both Raids.

The hardest content definition doesn't work. When this game launched Anet called dungeons the hardest content in the game. No one ever called dungeons raids. And more to the point, in the six years I played Guild Wars 1, I never heard anyone refer to the Underworld as a raid either.

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@sigur.9453 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@Raguel.9402 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

what story lol

Does´t seem to help much, because there is a post from you in every raid related thread.Please share it, but stop "side bashing" everything raid related, it wasn´t the raid community who desided to make uw a raid.

At this point I only feel reinforced in my opinion they should stop making raids "immersive" and just deliver platforms with bosses and mechanics.

Things like this read like "they don´t deserve it".just because you
exlude yourself
(for whatever reason) from that content doesn´t mean others like it.

I'm under the impression you don't share my point of view but it's okay :)

Talk about content, making it personal may be considered unconstructive :)

@Vayne.8563 said:The hardest content definition doesn't work. When this game launched Anet called dungeons the hardest content in the game. No one ever called dungeons raids. And more to the point, in the six years I played Guild Wars 1, I never heard anyone refer to the Underworld as a raid either.

Does it really matter how it's called? Underworld was the hardest content in GW1, Raids are the hardest content in GW2. Underworld was the hardest content in one game, it is the hardest content in the other game.

My issue is that the PUG feature is cancer. Most parties are selling runs making the start of entry level practically pointless outside of a Guild. Which is unfortunate, and given that the player base for raids is relatively small (compared to say Open World LFGs thanks to the Dragon Timers), it just seems like a slap in the face. I get that people want difficult content such as raids but I can't help but feel that it also caused the community to stab itself in the foot too. But it is what it is.

@Lahmia.2193 said:Breaking news: Elite content from gw1 is made into elite content in gw2. In other news, water is wet and fire is hot. More of this at 10.

People literally duo raid bosses. I've seen someone DUAL BOX sloth. The content is not "elite".

Nothing in this game is "elite", this is the easiest raiding MMO on the market.

Archived