WvW is dead unless I can play with my friends

gerberlyfe.9736

3 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

I just want to party with my friends and play. But no, I can't do that.

What were they thinking?

Server pride peep myself, but to clarify, why couldn't you? Separate guilds, non-guilded or something else? What they were thinking is all the complaints about lopsided matches and how can they rebalance players based on players that left or transfer both offsetting populations all the more creating imbalances in numbers that server linking by themselves could not fix. They thought players would self-balance where instead they found players will stack even if that means queues. So here we are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Maybe he doesn't really have any friends?  Game gives us tools to play with friends and he didn't use them?  Or maybe he missed the deadline?

Hence the question on the definition or was it a mechanic of the WR system.

I see people as friends even if I don't have them on my friends list. I banter with server mates and don't have them on my friends list but still see them as friends. The game doesn't define friends, we all see them differently. The WR system is what drives some of us bonkers since we may see some as friends even if we all we do is text with them on a regular basis or even just know to do a /wave at them when they can't see us which drives them crazy, which is the point. Aka friendship has a lot of levels, some are more passive than others, doesn't mean you don't see them as friends. A lot of friendships even raise up from the forums. So its hard to tell.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I just made a friend playing sPvP. 
We wanted to play WvW together. But we can't. The only way I see to do this is to join the same guild, then rep it for wvw, then wait like two months for the next season rebalance.
Is there any other way I can play with someone without planning two months in advance? Without being in the same guild?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

We wanted to play WvW together. But we can't. The only way I see to do this is to join the same guild, then rep it for wvw, then wait like two months for the next season rebalance.
Is there any other way I can play with someone without planning two months in advance? Without being in the same guild?

You and your friend have to be on the same server.  Been that way since launch.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

One or both of you can transfer servers so that you are on the same server, then you will play together until the next beta at least.

14 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

I just want to party with my friends and play. But no, I can't do that.

What were they thinking?

Actually,  the question is, what were you thinking? Or not thinking?

9 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

...Game gives us tools to play with friends and he didn't use them?...

That is the real problem right there. If you want to play WvW with friends, the game gives you tools to do that.

1 hour ago, blp.3489 said:

One or both of you can transfer servers so that you are on the same server, then you will play together until the next beta at least.

And this is the most obvious tool for general use right now. I've changed servers to run in WvW with friends and I'm sure plenty of other folks have too. Betas are a different story, as will be the Alliance system if it is ever actually introduced. For those you need to be in a guild with your  friends and all designate that guild as your WvW choice. If there is not an existing guild that you and your friends can comfortably join, it's not that difficult to create your own guild. The tools for playing with your friends are there. Anet has provided them. It's up to you though whether you use those tools or not.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

Same server is key for now. With beta over people have been returned to their normal servers. The WR system is a ways out yet, we were just in a two week beta when you posted. So for now, you both need to be on the same server to connect. If/when the WR system drops you will need to be in the same guild or your guilds will need to in the same alliance else you risk being sorted out to different servers. Hope that helps. 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Maybe it needs a mercenary system for such spontaneous missions for which you do not want to (or even can not) spend 1k gems for a permanent server change.

But there is already a reason why WvW is excluded from temp. server change (guest system). Because of abuse. The guest would have to be at least still restricted in its rights. In the end, it's fun for no one.

In the end, it's always a few who ruin it for everyone.

And wvw doesn't need more roamer gankers, tyvm.
So, rest in peace, both of you.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 1

On 6/23/2023 at 2:10 PM, Chaba.5410 said:

Maybe he doesn't really have any friends?  Game gives us tools to play with friends and he didn't use them?  Or maybe he missed the deadline?

TBF the amount of people that missed having to select a WvW guild before the deadline and then not getting a chance to once the beta started, it could have been made a bit clearer in game for those who didn't read the post.

7 minutes ago, BlakBackJK.3182 said:

TBF the amount of people that missed having to select a WvW guild before the deadline and then not getting a chance to once the beta started, it could have been made a bit clearer in game for those who didn't read the post.

True.  It's why I asked to find out what the actual problem was and it turned out not having anything to do with that.

The hiccup with the betas is to me an effect of it being something different from normal.  When setting your WvW guild becomes the only option to play together, that process will be normalized as part of joining a guild.

Edited by Chaba.5410

Full servers are really the only thing that prevents me from playing with my friends by placing a huge financial cost of moving a guild off of a full server.

At least with the alliance system that will be gone and they could play as late as 8 weeks. My understanding is under the new system there still will be a transfer option and I assume the transfer will be free for the first time you use it as it is now. And with servers being rebalanced every 8 weeks hopefully we wont have perpetually locked 'full' servers. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 4:15 AM, gkoogz.3089 said:

just make guild it costs 5g and select it as your wvw guild, both, no rep is needed. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 2:24 PM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Hence the question on the definition or was it a mechanic of the WR system.

I see people as friends even if I don't have them on my friends list. I banter with server mates and don't have them on my friends list but still see them as friends. The game doesn't define friends, we all see them differently. The WR system is what drives some of us bonkers since we may see some as friends even if we all we do is text with them on a regular basis or even just know to do a /wave at them when they can't see us which drives them crazy, which is the point. Aka friendship has a lot of levels, some are more passive than others, doesn't mean you don't see them as friends. A lot of friendships even raise up from the forums. So its hard to tell.

lol. I only reply as someone emotes cionfusion that differnt people might see friends differnetly. Many times none gamers ask gamers how do you see them as your firends, you never meet them. For gamers or guild/server mates its simple, I have been hanging with them for a long time in voice or just in game and /text or /emote. But it goes deeper than that for some, but not always so I get the confusion. Good hunting my friends! May your bags be full!

• Like 1

How is it anet's fault u cant play with ur friends? 

Are we talking alliance's or just wvw in general? Cause if we're talking alliance's.  Anet gave fair warning this time. So ppl had a chance to sort them self out.

If it's just wvw in general. I dont see how anet is to blame for the fact u can't play with ur friends. 

29 minutes ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

It's literally their design choice

It used to be that way in PvE too before megaserver was introduced.  That's what the "guest" button was for: to temporarily play on a different server.  WvW being PvP didn't allow guesting.

Edited by Chaba.5410