[Poll] Greatsword User

ArkLightXXVII.4768

[Poll] Greatsword user  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Greatsword user do you prefer (OW, PvE Instanced and PvP)

• Reaper
    • Vindicator
    • Spellbreaker
    • Virtuoso
    • Guardian (Willbender / Dragonhunter)
    • Untamed

So I just crafted an ascended GS and bought a specific skin for no reason. Now I want to try it out but dont know which spec should I go with. 

Can I ask which would you prefer with GS user? This would be OW and PvP. I'm thinking to go with Reaper but man, the population of reaper is insane right now. 

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by ArkLightXXVII.4768
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ArkLightXXVII.4768 said:

So I just crafted an ascended GS and bought a specific skin for no reason. Now I want to try it out but dont know which spec should I go with. 

Can I ask which would you prefer with GS user? This would be OW and PvP. I'm thinking to go with Reaper but man, the population of reaper is insane right now. 

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

You forgot Mesmer 😭

• Like 2

Virtuosos maybe takes more value from dagger, and for that spec I prefer a condi build (Mesmer's greatsword is mainly a power weapon).

Spellbreaker with greatsword + hammer is fun in PvP,  albeit dagger + shield along hammer si "more meta". For OW PvE I prefer Bladesworn tho, and the builds ditch greatsword.

Seems that Reaper is now in a good place, but my fav Reaper build for OW and PvE run celestial, not power, and do most of their damage in shourd. Not fan of the slow cast times of Reaper's gs skills. Yes, quickness helps, but that boon is very restrained at PvP.

So my vote will go Vindicator: the gameplay with power greatsword is quite intense, you have plenty of mobility and huge sustain (albeit not as broken as with cele Vindi). In PvP didn't like the spec for the last year and half, but now with Salvation buffed and Invocation in good shape I can ditch Devastation, Retribution and even the Alliance and make a very functional bunker build which runs berserker, hits like a truck and has good sustain and support tools for teamfights.

5 minutes ago, Buran.3796 said:

Virtuosos maybe takes more value from dagger, and for that spec I prefer a condi build (Mesmer's greatsword is mainly a power weapon).

Spellbreaker with greatsword + hammer is fun in PvP,  albeit dagger + shield along hammer si "more meta". For OW PvE I prefer Bladesworn tho, and the builds ditch greatsword.

Seems that Reaper is now in a good place, but my fav Reaper build for OW and PvE run celestial, not power, and do most of their damage in shourd. Not fan of the slow cast times of Reaper's gs skills. Yes, quickness helps, but that boon is very restrained at PvP.

So my vote will go Vindicator: the gameplay with power greatsword is quite intense, you have plenty of mobility and huge sustain (albeit not as broken as with cele Vindi). In PvP didn't like the spec for the last year and half, but now with Salvation buffed and Invocation in good shape I can ditch Devastation, Retribution and even the Alliance and make a very functional bunker build which runs berserker, hits like a truck and has good sustain and support tools for teamfights.

Comparing to Reapers DPS output, which would would you recommend?

I would like to know if you have a specific build for OW solo champs? I find my Vindi kinda squishy.

1 hour ago, ArkLightXXVII.4768 said:

Comparing to Reapers DPS output, which would would you recommend?

I would like to know if you have a specific build for OW solo champs? I find my Vindi kinda squishy.

As I said, with Reaper I find out the greatsword too slow gfor my tastes, so at both OW and PvP I run a staff + scepter & dagger when I ride that spec.

For OW PvE I use this build, based on Lord Hizen's one:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmzAExzlxQmMP6k1RpMOClRSqMCqkn1kfsF-zRZYiRNnHcQgzBFcIZKF6VEUhCQxHAB2D9JF4W0f0CqA-e

Essentially, marauder gear until reaching the 100% crit chance (with fury) and 200% crit damage. The build essentially has perma fury, vigor, protection and 25 stacks of might. Has also wide access to quiockness and regeneration. Salvation 3,2,2. Invocation 2,3,3 and Vindicator 1,3,2.; greatsword + swords. Can solo ~65% of bounties, and the ones which not is mostly that can't kill faster enough due mobility or cc (Rabbit in Desert Highlands, or the Goat), but can survive them (ceslestial Vindi is stronger, but the gameplay is slower and more boring).

A couple of samples of gameplay:

3 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

As I said, with Reaper I find out the greatsword too slow gfor my tastes, so at both OW and PvP I run a staff + scepter & dagger when I ride that spec.

For OW PvE I use this build, based on Lord Hizen's one:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmzAExzlxQmMP6k1RpMOClRSqMCqkn1kfsF-zRZYiRNnHcQgzBFcIZKF6VEUhCQxHAB2D9JF4W0f0CqA-e

Essentially, marauder gear until reaching the 100% crit chance (with fury) and 200% crit damage. The build essentially has perma fury, vigor, protection and 25 stacks of might. Has also wide access to quiockness and regeneration. Salvation 3,2,2. Invocation 2,3,3 and Vindicator 1,3,2.; greatsword + swords. Can solo ~65% of bounties, and the ones which not is mostly that can't kill faster enough due mobility or cc (Rabbit in Desert Highlands, or the Goat), but can survive them (ceslestial Vindi is stronger, but the gameplay is slower and more boring).

A couple of samples of gameplay:

Thanks for this!

Once there be a boy who had no talent for the magics. Alone, he longed for power. Abandoned, he longed for power. Obsessed, he longed for power. A power that would let him transcend the magics of the others who had forsaken him. Daily he would train, deep in a horse stance, wood dowel moving from high above his head, down, and again, until, one day the dowel shattered as it travelled so fast the wind itself tore the wood asunder. 

But the boy, now a man, was not satisfied. His legs may root themselves to the earth with more stability than even the pale tree, his thighs may dwarf even the thickest of oaks, his back may be wide enough to black out the sun, and his arms hard enough to crush granite, but it was not enough. His swings ripped dowel after dowel apart until the forest in which he lived was bare of trees, all having been turned to dowels, than to wood chips.

Finding himself at wits end, he decide to venture out of his forest and into the world to find more power to surpass the magics of the inferior people. But when he stepped foot in a town, all would watch and stare as he moves through the streets, frozen with terror at the overwhelming force of his presence.

For a year he wandered, never finding the answers which he sought, until, one day, a man reeking of alcohol and stumbled through the chairs of a particular saloon and up to the man. The drunkard draped in blue light remarked on the man’s impressive aura and physique, then told the man to fight him.

Outside, a crowd surrounded the man and the drunkard. “The Serpah Captain” if the mumblings of the crowd were to be believed. The Seraph Captain drew the slab of metal from his back and stared down the man.

The man, instead, took a simple broom handle and readied himself; legs spread, balls nearly on the floor, and dowel high above his head. The Seraph Captain laughed, then leaped forward in a flurry of blue light.

What happened next was understood by none but the two combatants. Some say that the man used magic to manipulate the wood, others say that the Seraph Captain merely took a hit from how drunk he was, but this is only because they could not comprehend what had unfolded.

As the Seraph Captain hurtled forward, spinning mid air to generate momentum on his blade cloaked in magic, the man sent his sword down. Before the Captain could strike, the man had unleashed a flurry of 100 strikes, each with enough power to rip through the body of a lesser man.

The Seraph Captain landed, limbs missing and gashes of red running through his otherwise resplendent armor.

And so the first Warrior was born, greatsword in his hand since inception. The first and only class that transcends the crutch of magic and seeks a power that transcends the inferior professions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Once there be a boy who had no talent for the magics. Alone, he longed for power. Abandoned, he longed for power. Obsessed, he longed for power. A power that would let him transcend the magics of the others who had forsaken him. Daily he would train, deep in a horse stance, wood dowel moving from high above his head, down, and again, until, one day the dowel shattered as it travelled so fast the wind itself tore the wood asunder. 

But the boy, now a man, was not satisfied. His legs may root themselves to the earth with more stability than even the pale tree, his thighs may dwarf even the thickest of oaks, his back may be wide enough to black out the sun, and his arms hard enough to crush granite, but it was not enough. His swings ripped dowel after dowel apart until the forest in which he lived was bare of trees, all having been turned to dowels, than to wood chips.

Finding himself at wits end, he decide to venture out of his forest and into the world to find more power to surpass the magics of the inferior people. But when he stepped foot in a town, all would watch and stare as he moves through the streets, frozen with terror at the overwhelming force of his presence.

For a year he wandered, never finding the answers which he sought, until, one day, a man reeking of alcohol and stumbled through the chairs of a particular saloon and up to the man. The drunkard draped in blue light remarked on the man’s impressive aura and physique, then told the man to fight him.

Outside, a crowd surrounded the man and the drunkard. “The Serpah Captain” if the mumblings of the crowd were to be believed. The Seraph Captain drew the slab of metal from his back and stared down the man.

The man, instead, took a simple broom handle and readied himself; legs spread, balls nearly on the floor, and dowel high above his head. The Seraph Captain laughed, then leaped forward in a flurry of blue light.

What happened next was understood by none but the two combatants. Some say that the man used magic to manipulate the wood, others say that the Seraph Captain merely took a hit from how drunk he was, but this is only because they could not comprehend what had unfolded.

As the Seraph Captain hurtled forward, spinning mid air to generate momentum on his blade cloaked in magic, the man sent his sword down. Before the Captain could strike, the man had unleashed a flurry of 100 strikes, each with enough power to rip through the body of a lesser man.

The Seraph Captain landed, limbs missing and gashes of red running through his otherwise resplendent armor.

And so the first Warrior was born, greatsword in his hand since inception. The first and only class that transcends the crutch of magic and seeks a power that transcends the inferior professions. 

This is the Way.

• Like 1