Secrets of the Obscure

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

Wow, I guess fast food is a bit overpriced where you live then? 😄

We don't know yet for how many, and since it's only two maps but only 5 bucks cheaper than previous expansions, I believe people have a right to be concerned.

Lol I don't know, I usually get one from a proper diner.  But even a fast food combo isn't far behind.  

I agree they have a right to be concerned but let's face it that the majority of people drop $25 very very easily.  It's a mini expansion, and the price reflects it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cameryn.5310 said:

You have absolutely no idea what percentage the cash shop contributes to Guild Wars 2's overall financial success, versus the amount they get from expansions.  None of us do.  It's not published.  So that's just an opinion, not a fact.

And it means nothing anyway.  They've moved to a yearly "pay for an expansion" model without a subscription, that's the simple fact.  You can take it or leave it, as can I, as can anyone.  If you want to play completely free, there's an entire game (what's currently available today) at no cost.

75% ~77% that's the average games do via in game purchase.

For example, FIFA's Ultimate Team generated $1.49 billion for EA.

when ice brood saga was announced they wanted to go x pac free.

bcs the cashshop was enough money.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I saw a multi armed person in the still - a seer maybe? Also Zojja at the end there?

Based on the shape of the fingers AND the tower supposedly having elementals running around, I'm inclined to think djinn.

Another reason I'm inclined to say djinn is due to the fact that the wiki mentions djinn are natural enemies of demons, so, they have the motivation to care about demon threats.

My tinfoil hat theory is that's Zommoros given the skin colour and both he and Zojja are part of this Astral Ward protecting Tyria. Also, this wouldn't be the first time Zommoros had a connection with Isgarren if that were the case...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

It's $25...that's like the price of two cheeseburger meals for how many hours of entertainment.  Boo hoo.  

Typical Anet victim drugged (in the head) and delusional.

Expansion is meant to be "new" content, something fresh never seen/played before. They are literally recycling everything in game and launching it in a slightly different format. Yes $25 but will u be happy to pay for that for a Living World story? That's essentially what it is just slightly larger in terms of lore. New skins? we always get new skins that's nothing new. After 10 years they are running out of ideas, do u not get it? Never mind you must be too busy eating your $12.5 cheeseburger 😅

Edited by ChuddaCHOO.4723
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

17 hours ago, jokke.6239 said:

How often will there be these expansions? Any word on that?

But say it's $25 every 6 months, that's not much compared to paying $15 a month on a sub

I have read everything they offer and agree that 24 eur is a fair price.
I gave them a chance and bought an expack hopefully they would not destroy trust and keep their promise about DLC every 6 months 
And it would be good if they did not do this chaos in balance, I personally get tired of this, especially since they do not change the foundations, they only play with numbers.
In my opinion, the whole utility system needs a change, not a number play ^^

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChuddaCHOO.4723 said:

Typical Anet victim drugged (in the head) and delusional.

Expansion is meant to be "new" content, something fresh never seen/played before. They are literally recycling everything in game and launching it in a slightly different format. Yes $25 but will u be happy to pay for that for a Living World story? That's essentially what it is just slightly larger in terms of lore. New skins? we always get new skins that's nothing new. After 10 years they are running out of ideas, do u not get it? Never mind you must be too busy eating your $12.5 cheeseburger 😅

I see you've been complaining about content and story  since 2019 posts...yet you still play.   It's hard for most games to keep it new and amazing and revolutionary and fresh.  At this point with the majority of games, especially MMOs it's all been kind of done.  So don't buy it and take the break you've been saying you would take for the past five years.  Maybe go try a decent cheeseburger while you're at it. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 6/27/2023 at 7:13 PM, Cameryn.5310 said:

Yes.

You realize that the game doesn't make itself, right?  There's a large team of developers and they need to make a living.  There's a ton of tech that needs to be maintained.  All of that costs money.

Welcome to 2023.  You got YEARS of content basically for free... you can suck it up and pay ANet once a year for more content.

I quite admire your courageous defense of the studio developing the game we all love so much.

If you however feel like paying for a monthly battle pass which is just another name for a subscription, by all means, be my guest, but this game was once promoted as a once off purchase with regular FREE content updates, though you actually need to be old enough and be around long enough to know that. Just so you know, false and misleading advertising is illegal in most places.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I see you've been complaining about content and story  since 2019 posts...yet you still play.   It's hard for most games to keep it new and amazing and revolutionary and fresh.  At this point with the majority of games, especially MMOs it's all been kind of done.  So don't buy it and take the break you've been saying you would take for the past five years.  Maybe go try a decent cheeseburger while you're at it. 

I already said I enjoyed the game, sadly I only log in for dailies and off again. Only thing stopping me from fully quitting are the friends I made during my playing time. Trust me, I am not here for the game anymore but the people. You also agree it's difficult to keep up with new content, so you're not denying my statement that they are running out of ideas and it's getting stale. Oh and I'd rather spend $25 on something more meaningful than GW2 expansion or cheeseburgers thank you 😂 but if that's what you're into then each to their own, wait I forgot, you also like to snoop around on others profiles checking their posts and time, maybe spend more time on your cheeseburgers than reading my past comments 😉 

• Confused 1

Really?  Complaining about $25 for a years worth of entertainment?  You’d spend that at the movies for a couple hours worth of entertainment. Or a lot more at a restaurant.   Or at a bar.   How much do you pay for your streaming services you got. Or your cell phone.   Give me a break with your petty complaints. It’s a good value. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, Hellbound.5610 said:

I quite admire your courageous defense of the studio developing the game we all love so much.

If you however feel like paying for a monthly battle pass which is just another name for a subscription, by all means, be my guest, but this game was once promoted as a once off purchase with regular FREE content updates, though you actually need to be old enough and be around long enough to know that. Just so you know, false and misleading advertising is illegal in most places.

Utter nonsense.  This is the fourth expansion that you'll be paying money for.  The fourth time, not the first.  You just got used to having to pay for an expansion every couple of years.  They've now changed it to a yearly cadence.  There's nothing illegal about it.  Go cry into your juice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/27/2023 at 10:43 PM, Cameryn.5310 said:

You have absolutely no idea what percentage the cash shop contributes to Guild Wars 2's overall financial success, versus the amount they get from expansions.  None of us do.  It's not published.  So that's just an opinion, not a fact.

And it means nothing anyway.  They've moved to a yearly "pay for an expansion" model without a subscription, that's the simple fact.  You can take it or leave it, as can I, as can anyone.  If you want to play completely free, there's an entire game (what's currently available today) at no cost.

Yes we do, it has been clearly stated in earnings calls - two thirds of revenue is gem sales!

Stop being so hyper-sensitive. All of us are seeing the writing on the wall, why don't you?

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Cameryn.5310 said:

Utter nonsense.  This is the fourth expansion that you'll be paying money for.  The fourth time, not the first.  You just got used to having to pay for an expansion every couple of years.  They've now changed it to a yearly cadence.  There's nothing illegal about it.  Go cry into your juice.

Bro, you are scarily oblivious. I suggest getting out a bit more, get some moderate UV sun light, it is good for you.

Would you say a Living Story release has the same value as PoF or EoD?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Hellbound.5610 said:

Bro, you are scarily oblivious. I suggest getting out a bit more, get some moderate UV sun light, it is good for you.

Would you say a Living Story release has the same value as PoF or EoD?

It genuinely doesn't matter.  ArenaNet never once promised you that you'd get content for 3 or 4 years by only purchasing an expansion.  You're the one ranting like a madman about how it's some sort of criminal activity that you're having to pay for more expansions.  If you don't like it, don't bloody well buy it... no one is forcing you to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 11:39 AM, ElforTheLandStander.7052 said:

Glad they're doing this, but HOW are we going on 11 years without Rangers getting access to rifle?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe they'll get it EVENTUALLY through this system(which I am very excited about overall), but man they really should've had Rifle Ranger in the first batch.

Completely agree.  Why doesn't ranger have access to all ranged weapons is beyond me.

On 6/28/2023 at 1:01 AM, ChuddaCHOO.4723 said:

Expansion is meant to be "new" content, something fresh never seen/played before

If you are going to reserve the right to change the definition of terms to suit yourself you will need to buy the company. At that point you can make things up to your hearts content.

That said, I don't have a problem paying $25 yearly for  smaller expansions. I do have an issue with paying for what has been announced for this expansion. As someone else said (paraphrasing here), "this is just moving the chairs around."

Charging players to take things away from them only to then charge those same players to sell those same things back to them is sleazy in my opinion.

Moving the same weapons we have had for 11 years around is underwhelming as an expansion feature in my opinion. As part of a balance or QoL patch? Sure. But selling point for an expansion? No.

I might be a bit more forgiving if I expected the story to be fantastic. Something exciting. Truly engaging. But, after the writing in the last four story pieces (final chapter of IBS, EoD, and the two Gayalas), I can no longer assume that the writing, the story, the characters will be enough. After the Gayala chapters I have no fath that the current incarnation of ANet even knows what satisfying content looks like. If they think that Gayala is good then I dont see how anything that comes after it can be any better.

So: repackaging what already exists, taking a feature away so they can sell it back to us (again, this is not the first time theyve done so), and low expectations for the only truly new aspect...the story.

I have no problem spending money on the game. I used to spend a good $500 -$1000 per month here, but $25 for this is beyond the pale. 

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

If you are going to reserve the right to change the definition of terms to suit yourself you will need to buy the company. At that point you can make things up to your hearts content.

That said, I don't have a problem paying $25 yearly for  smaller expansions. I do have an issue with paying for what has been announced for this expansion. As someone else said (paraphrasing here), "this is just moving the chairs around."

Charging players to take things away from them only to then charge those same players to sell those same things back to them is sleazy in my opinion.

Moving the same weapons we have had for 11 years around is underwhelming as an expansion feature in my opinion. As part of a balance or QoL patch? Sure. But selling point for an expansion? No.

I might be a bit more forgiving if I expected the story to be fantastic. Something exciting. Truly engaging. But, after the writing in the last four story pieces (final chapter of IBS, EoD, and the two Gayalas), I can no longer assume that the writing, the story, the characters will be enough. After the Gayala chapters I have no fath that the current incarnation of ANet even knows what satisfying content looks like. If they think that Gayala is good then I dont see how anything that comes after it can be any better.

So: repackaging what already exists, taking a feature away so they can sell it back to us (again, this is not the first time theyve done so), and low expectations for the only truly new aspect...the story.

I have no problem spending money on the game. I used to spend a good $500 -$1000 per month here, but $25 for this is beyond the pale. 

A lot of GW2's ability to generate revenue in the past has been through goodwill. The implied social contract was that they make quality content for no subscription fee, and then players could fund ANet to whatever extent they were comfortable through the gemstore.

In the past I had no qualms about buying a little extra gold or a skin here or there because I was getting an extremely quality MMO experience for practically nothing.

SotO...is not quality. EoD and IBS have also been slipping on the quality spectrum. The game has been running on the goodwill generated by HoT/PoF, and has not been generating enough goodwill to replace it. The quality has substantially dropped, and the faith that I had in the game that compelled me to be constantly tossing them some coin is gone.

SotO is just a really poorly contemplated expac. It didn't need to do much to maintain the goodwill of players, but it needed to do something of substance. And it couldn't even be bothered to reach that incredibly low threshold.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1