New expac wont have elite specs

Expac without elite specs  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on buying an expac that doesn't have elite specializations?

• Yes I'll still buy it
    • Probably a pass for me

5 hours ago, Endaris.1452 said:

There is basically no option to not buy it if you're engaged in endgame content.

Unrestricted weapon access is way too powerful of a feature.

The new xpac basically takes content added in previous expansions and promises to amplify them.

As an example, engineer players have been asking for a MH (melee) core power weapon since the beginning of GW2 to pair with shield. One of support scrappers glaring weaknesses is that it doesn't have a supportive MH forcing it to run pistol. Enabling it to run mace for free barrier and regeneration? Crazy game changer, your support scrapper will be so much better compared to everyone who doesn't have it.

Or necromancer, you're telling me I can now run pistol+torch on harbinger? That's crazy!

It's kind of lame that they sell previous expansion content as "new expansion content", because it really isn't it. They're effectively taking previous expansions hostage. This will be the last expansion I'm going to prepurchase in good faith.

There is if the only end game content you care about is raids, which, by all proof from Anet are dead now with the whole strike mission nonsense they keep pushing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

eSpecs are probably not good because they tend to either obsolete other (Edit: Prior) [e]Specs or be underpowered/inaccessible to the point that most people don't bother with them.  They farm the Hero Points, buy them, and then never use them.

Then, the devs have to perform balancing acts in order to bring older specs up to par with the new eSpecs, or nerf the new eSpecs to bring them down to earth; the latter of which pisses people off because the eSpec is always "why they bought the expansion."

They are better off just putting some balance work into increasing the viability of the Specs with already have while focusing on content, IMVHO.

Edited by Tren.5120
Clarification.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

There is if the only end game content you care about is raids, which, by all proof from Anet are dead now with the whole strike mission nonsense they keep pushing.

I was speaking from a more holistic perspective. No way you aren't at a significant disadvantage without this flexibility in PvP and WvW.

I'm still almost sure new specs will end up being announced at the end of this year or at the beggining of the next one. I'm already a bit nervous about the sixth bonus thing and obviously I'm not the only person. GW2 is in a great place when compared to others mmos out right now, I seriously doubt Anet would take so many risks at once (I know, the devs let us down sometimes but there's a reasonable limit for that. Like giving scepter for revenants. Oh, God, please don't allow that)

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Tekey.5084 said:

I'm still almost sure new specs will end up being announced at the end of this year or at the beggining of the next one. I'm already a bit nervous about the sixth bonus thing and obviously I'm not the only person. GW2 is in a great place when compared to others mmos out right now, I seriously doubt Anet would take so many risks at once (I know, the devs let us down sometimes but there's a reasonable limit for that. Like giving scepter for revenants. Oh, God, please don't allow that)

considering they have said we are not making elite specs that would be a suprise indeed

On 6/27/2023 at 12:31 PM, Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

I'm curious where everyone stands on this rather hot button topic. Lets see how everyone is feeling!

I am glad no elite spec. In my opinion Anet lacks the ability to balance specs. I would honestly be fine if elite specs just...went away. No new elite specs to balance means hopefully they can just improve the content that is already in game..like the story!

Edited by WeightTrainer.3219
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

considering they have said we are not making elite specs that would be a suprise indeed

That's actually one of the main reasons that makes me believe we'll have new specs

Edited by Tekey.5084

2 hours ago, Tekey.5084 said:

That's actually one of the main reasons that makes me believe we'll have new specs

The trick here is that we aren't gonna get new especs in full. We basically are getting 1/3 of the epec with the new expac, and next year's "combat enhancement" will be a new set of utility skills for each profession and finally a year after that we'll get the next "combat enhancement" as a new trait line. Thus completing the 3-year cycle that leads to a single espec in the cost of 3x as much for us via being forced to buy all 3 expacs to unlock it all.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but after waiting over 4 years for Wing 8 from Wing 7 release, I think at this point we deserve a bit of distrust in the devs.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:08 AM, Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

The trick here is that we aren't gonna get new especs in full. We basically are getting 1/3 of the epec with the new expac, and next year's "combat enhancement" will be a new set of utility skills for each profession and finally a year after that we'll get the next "combat enhancement" as a new trait line. Thus completing the 3-year cycle that leads to a single espec in the cost of 3x as much for us via being forced to buy all 3 expacs to unlock it all.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but after waiting over 4 years for Wing 8 from Wing 7 release, I think at this point we deserve a bit of distrust in the devs.

Yea that sounds like something they would try to do.

• Confused 2

On 6/28/2023 at 11:08 PM, Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

That would be really a low move. Not that I doubt it could happen, but it'd be such a malicious attempt to fool their clients that I don't want to believe Arenanet would do something like it

Edited by Tekey.5084

2 minutes ago, Tekey.5084 said:

That would be really a low move. Not that I doubt it could happen, but it'd such a malicious attempt to fool their clients that I don't want to believe Arenanet would do something like it

How is that malicious?

If anything the new expansion already is malicious because half of what they're selling us an expanded usage unlock for stuff that we already bought in previous expansions / living story, namely elite spec weapons and skyscale. There's little product in there if you think about it and for a "slightly reduced price" compared to previous expansions.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Endaris.1452 said:

How is that malicious?

If anything the new expansion already is malicious because half of what they're selling us an expanded usage unlock for stuff that we already bought in previous expansions / living story, namely elite spec weapons and skyscale. There's little product in there if you think about it and for a "slightly reduced price" compared to previous expansions.

If you enjoy paying for less content, by all means, you do you

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 8:17 PM, WeightTrainer.3219 said:

I am glad no elite spec. In my opinion Anet lacks the ability to balance specs. I would honestly be fine if elite specs just...went away. No new elite specs to balance means hopefully they can just improve the content that is already in game..like the story!

As a revenant, I gotta say I see herald as the only elite spec deserving such a name, basically due to Glint being the legend you channel by default. I hope for another spec to give us some kind of dodge mechanic like vindicator or mirage and a legend that'd make the elite spec worth of being called so. I mean, how's Kalla Scorchrazor and Archemorous and Saint Victor being channeled as main mechanics of elite specs while we have Mallyx and Shiro Tagachi as core legends? I just feel a bit weirded out by the lack of consistency on this aspect of my chosen main profession, but just let it be, I think

• Confused 2

Another, the wrong question thread imo. I’ve never liked elite specs tied to expansions I don’t think it is expansion content in the first place. But honestly I’m growing tired 🥱 of elite specs as well, way too limiting and boring imo. This is supposed to be GW2, I want flexibility not more restriction styles.

Edited by aesur.1457
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, aesur.1457 said:

Another, the wrong question thread imo. I’ve never liked elite specs tied to expansions I don’t think it is expansion content in the first place. But honestly I’m growing tired 🥱 of elite specs as well, way too limiting and boring imo. This is supposed to be GW2, I want flexibility not more restriction styles.

Well, elite specs are interesting, and a big selling point for expansions, I've seen people literally choosing an expansion to buy just because they like the elite specs they get out of it, regardless of that expac being in order with what they have played already. 

On the other hand, yes we do have plenty of e-specs and if Anet actually plans to have yearly expansions, I agree that we shouldn't have new specs with every single one. If that was the case, in 2-3 years time the game will end up a mess with 9 classes and 50+ e-specs to choose from which will unlikely be balanced, not that balance now is great, but it will be another thing completely. 

So conclusively, although I like Elite Specs personally, I totally understand that there's no need to rush more of them because it won't be good for the health of game, as well as be confusing for new and old players alike. 

I pre-ordered SotO because I hope it will be good and to support the game that has given me over 8k hours of entertainment, not because I want yet another Elite Spec out of it. 

Edited by jason.1083
  • Confused 1