New expac wont have elite specs

Expac without elite specs  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on buying an expac that doesn't have elite specializations?

• Yes I'll still buy it
    • Probably a pass for me

1 minute ago, Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

I'm curious where everyone stands on this rather hot button topic. Lets see how everyone is feeling!

Topic is rather cold to be fair. 

I don't need new specs to buy the expansion. Other things to consider is this contains a bunch of features people have literally been asking about for years. 

• Like 11

Just now, Randulf.7614 said:

It's not a hot topic. We've known this for ages. And we're getting new class weapons and weapons extenmded across elites.

This isn't a purchase deal breaker even I'd prefer new elites

I guess for me, it was worth bringing up today as I think just new weapons to use is a poor substitute. It's no different than how strike missions are a poor substitute to an actual raid and once again, imo a bandaid fix by a dev team pressured by publishers to create content that is faster to make to increase the bottom line for the bean counters.

• Confused 6

If I am not made to quit because I do not do Fracs and Strikes...I will prebuy in a heartbeat.

Devs, are fracs and strikes required for what you put into relics ala what is now known as the 6th bonus of Runes?  Or will crafters be able to sell these things on the TP so people like me will not be left out ?  That would be fine as frog's hair with me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

I guess for me, it was worth bringing up today as I think just new weapons to use is a poor substitute. It's no different than how strike missions are a poor substitute to an actual raid and once again, imo a bandaid fix by a dev team pressured by publishers to create content that is faster to make to increase the bottom line for the bean counters.

I think its hard to say this is publishers taking an easy out when this is something people have been requesting near insistently since the first expansion.

• Like 5

I'd love to hear why you think weapon combos are better than a new class elite specialization?

As for thinking they might feel samey, I can go to ChatGPT and ask them for 5 new elite spec ideas for say necro and it will pop out suggestions that feel both unique and interesting as things for an idea board.

Using an existing example, to me the concept of the Deadeye felt super unique on Thief gameplay with the introduction of the kneeling aspect. Whereas, if I just got a rifle to use on say Daredevil and core thief, I would have felt like. Meh, it's just a new weapon and offers nothing in terms of new utility or support to a squad or game function.

Just a new weapon on the same elite spec traits is what I would define as "samey".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

I think its hard to say this is publishers taking an easy out when this is something people have been requesting near insistently since the first expansion.

Elite specs have always come with a new weapon so people have been getting that since HoT.

Given that weapon animations / graphics are already in the library for the game and don't require a ton to add to an existing class, I'd say it's rather easy to say it's the publishers doing this. Get content out faster so we can make more money is always what business is about in the digital space.

• Confused 2

The weapon additions and changes look so good. I haven't been this excited for an expansion since HoT. I still haven't even played through EoD since I really lost interest in the story during IBS. This seems to take a new angle there as well. Very happy with this expansion announcement. 

• Like 5

I don't need another elite spec.  I already love the elite specs I play on my main characters: condi firebrand, pistol-pistol deadeye, minion scourge.  Another elite spec wouldn't do anything for my enjoyment of the game, because I'd probably skip them entirely (the only one from EoD I even liked was the mechanist, but I don't play it much.)

What I *do* love is new ways to play many of these elite specs, with new weapons and weapon combos that give us variety.

So I'm very, very happy.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

It depends.  This new upcoming xpac, for example, is worth it IMO because it allows many new weapon choices for all professions and new skills.  So it's functionally like having new specializations because it allows for a lot of new interesting build choices.  Allowing professions to choose weapons from specializations is something I've wanted for a long time now.  I've done something that I rarely ever do which is pre-ordered this xpac because of this feature and because of the trust built up by ANET in my books over the many years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

It depends.  This new upcoming xpac, for example, is worth it IMO because it allows many new weapon choices for all professions and new skills.  So it's functionally like having new specializations because it allows for a lot of new interesting build choices.  Allowing professions to choose weapons from specializations is something I've wanted for a long time now.  I've done something that I rarely ever do which is pre-ordered this xpac because of this feature and because of the trust built up by ANET in my books over the many years.

The problem is that it's not as interesting as people are thinking it is. You get no new utility skills, no traits, no new ways to play the game other than a change in base weapon skills, and in some cases it's just 3 different skills. (Revenant - Scepter)

You don't change your build, you don't change your gear. It's patchwork and/or smoke and mirrors at best and honestly a non change in many cases due to the fact there will still be a meta weapon per spec and unless they overtune the heck out of the new weapon to function in all specs, it'll still be that Sword/Sword is still best on Herald for example.

• Confused 2

I haven't decided if I'm going to get the new expansion yet, but it's not because of the lack of elite specs.

Elites aren't a bad idea but even players who only had to come up with something which sounds good and didn't need to worry about making it work or balancing all of them were struggling to come up with ideas for new elites that aren't just a copy of an existing one or turning one profession into another.

I wasn't using all the elite specs anyway and I'm interested in the idea of being able to use weapons from other elite specs. It's something players have asked for repeatedly and I think it'll open up some interesting options. Apparently we're getting new weapons too and runes are being reworked, so combat is still going to change.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Delita Silverburg.8632 said:

The problem is that it's not as interesting as people are thinking it is. You get no new utility skills, no traits, no new ways to play the game other than a change in base weapon skills, and in some cases it's just 3 different skills. (Revenant - Scepter)

Unless it's somehow twohanded scepter. 

I mean we already have ranged hammer, why not more shenanigans.

Next time, we might get onehanded melee rifle 😄

• Like 1

There is basically no option to not buy it if you're engaged in endgame content.

Unrestricted weapon access is way too powerful of a feature.

The new xpac basically takes content added in previous expansions and promises to amplify them.

As an example, engineer players have been asking for a MH (melee) core power weapon since the beginning of GW2 to pair with shield. One of support scrappers glaring weaknesses is that it doesn't have a supportive MH forcing it to run pistol. Enabling it to run mace for free barrier and regeneration? Crazy game changer, your support scrapper will be so much better compared to everyone who doesn't have it.

Or necromancer, you're telling me I can now run pistol+torch on harbinger? That's crazy!

It's kind of lame that they sell previous expansion content as "new expansion content", because it really isn't it. They're effectively taking previous expansions hostage. This will be the last expansion I'm going to prepurchase in good faith.

• Confused 2