So Relics will be vertical progression, power creep and pay to win? [Merged]

7 hours ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Well if the OW legendary has more grid  Raid one , then raiders can keep playing Strikes a bit longer to unlock the 6th bonus (which lets not kid our self , it will be Scholar runes once again  for the +5% increased damage) .

Berserker offers 5% bonus to both power and condi damage, but without the "above 90% hp" qualifier. Scholar wins over Berserker only on value of stats both runesets give, but if the effect would be split, it would be scholar runes but berserker relic that would get picked.

37 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

has anything ever been p2w in GW2?

Pay to win, in strict sense? No, but need i remind you of build templates?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

It's amazing how people can go kittening crazy complaining about a new feature that we still don't know the details of.... has anything ever been p2w in GW2? Do you think Anet will suddenly change their entire doctrine and go down that route?

kitten, get a grip...

Well, they messed with everyone that got skyscale and legendary stuffs in the hardest way to sell the expansion while everyone called this game as a "game that respects your time", so nothing is impossible, the expansion itself calls that.

Edited by Peter.3901
  • Like 4
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, Peter.3901 said:

Well, they messed with everyone that got skyscale and legendary stuffs in the hardest way to sell the expansion while everyone called this game as a "game that respects your time", so nothing is impossible, the expansion itself calls that.

You know what, I've had skyscale since the very early horribly time-gated quests; and I absolutely do not mind that others will get hold of it for doing some collection in the new expansion to acquire theirs. I've enjoyed my Skyscale over a lot of years now, other players getting hold of it now by other means, it means NOTHING and does NOTHING to devalue the Skyscale for me.

Same with legendary armor; so what if new sets will become available through open world PvE in the xpac; do you walk around pissed off at players from WvW with legendary armor because you got yours from raids? Or if you meet a PvP'er who has legendary armor, do you think they care about someone who has legendary armor from WvW or raids? No... they all put in effort to acquire their set; and similarly, there will be a 4th method of acquisition for those who prefer open world PvE.

People have to get past the idea that "Anet are messing with ME because they are letting OTHERS get the stuff I have in other ways".

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Wrong. Purely QoL - it gives you no WIN over others.

You can play this game just as well as someone who has build templates..

In PvP and WvW, you can swap builds based on information you get inside the match, giving you an edge in battle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

Just now, The Boz.2038 said:

In PvP and WvW, you can swap builds based on information you get inside the match, giving you an edge in battle.

Make your build and save a textfile with all those build keys, and swap with a simply copy&paste then... I'm guessing it will take you 3 seconds longer to alt-tab between text file and game window and do the operation...

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Make your build and save a textfile with all those build keys, and swap with a simply copy&paste then... I'm guessing it will take you 3 seconds longer to alt-tab between text file and game window and do the operation...

3 seconds is 2.7 seconds longer than with templates, and that's just for the trait set; equipment is also a thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

I mean, not having to spend 18 gold per toon to get say, a set of Scholar runes is a pretty nice change.

Consider that Scholar, Ogre, and Deadeye all have the same stat allocation, the only diffeerence between them is that final 6th tier bonus
the current price difference between those 3 sets of runes, 18G for Scholar,, 9G for Ogre, and 6G for Deadeye
without that bonus, theres no reason for runes to cost that much.

Yeah, it's great news for them, unless of course the Relic ends up costing 18g per character instead. At the start at least the prices will probably be huge. 

And of course people who have already spent 18g per character for a set of Scholar Runes will have the extra expense to craft/acquire the Relics on top of that just to be exactly where they were the moment before the expansion launched.

And that's assuming the Rune prices don't all spike because now people will want to run these sets for the extra damage along with with a Relic of the Trooper or whatever.

It may very well end up that the Relic and Runes end up costing a lot more than 18g.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

Yeah, it's great news for them, unless of course the Relic ends up costing 18g per character instead. At the start at least the prices will probably be huge. 

And of course people who have already spent 18g per character for a set of Scholar Runes will have the extra expense to craft/acquire the Relics on top of that just to be exactly where they were the moment before the expansion launched.

And that's assuming the Rune prices don't all spike because now people will want to run these sets for the extra damage along with with a Relic of the Trooper or whatever.

It may very well end up that the Relic and Runes end up costing a lot more than 18g.

...and it may very well end up that relics are bought for fixed prices in gold and misc currency.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

...and it may very well end up that relics are bought for fixed prices in gold and misc currency.

Some may. They will come from a variety of sources:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/combat-in-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure/

Generally, you’ll be able to get relics through crafting, instanced content like Fractals of the Mists and Strike Missions, reward tracks, achievements, and more. To celebrate the new system, we’ll distribute a relic selection box to all players at launch.

Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure owners can look forward to expansion-exclusive relics as well—some of these will become available at launch, with others to follow in subsequent releases.

The "and more" could literally mean anything. I'd expect to be able to buy some in WvW (same as the expansion specific runes and sigils). I'll be surprised if the Relics for the existing Runes sets aren't created through crafted.

• Like 2

This and the weapon changes just seem to be geared towards giving ppls more opportunities to play around with different loadouts to get the 'best' results, and a lot of ppls are really into that. I don't see how it's really going to affect ppl who feel like good is good enough. So my reaction is more possibilities yay, change is good . . ?

• Like 3

If you wanted a certain 6 set effect like Traveler's movement speed, but had no use for the other stats paired with it, now you can take the movement speed and get whatever other stats you want. How are people finding something to complain about here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

This is still horizontal progression and tbh I wouldn't mind some vertical progression SOMEWHERE in the game.  Splitting runes is not a bad idea, but I hope this means they will allow for even more stat spreads in this new system. They have also discussed giving something to players who have legendary runes.

So, the way I'm reading into it, it sounds like the special effects armor runes have, like the one that summons a golem when you are in combat for example, will be removed and it'll be a.....process....to find that upgrade again? if that's the case it feels like a functionality is being removed without recompense....and a grind of sorts implemented to even hope to find that functionality and re-enable it again.

At the very least we should be awarded the relics of the sets we have equipped from the get-go, and make any future changes require acquisition.

(EDIT: fixed some typos)

Edited by Altriba.8092
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

versatility is the compensation . . .

Not even remotely good enough to compensate for the time, effort, stress, exhaustion, loss of functionality, and general hassle for repairing the damage to the effectiveness of the multiple builds and setups for those like me with 10 or more characters.

If we get a guarantee that the runes we have slotted into gear on the day this system goes live will at least give us those rune's relics to start with, then, and only then will i say its an actual potential improvement to the game.

Edited by Altriba.8092
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Altriba.8092 said:

Not even remotely good enough to compensate for the time, effort, stress, exhaustion, loss of functionality, and general hassle for repairing the damage to the effectiveness of the multiple builds and setups for those like me with 10 or more characters.

If we get a guarantee that the runes we have slotted into gear on the day this system goes live will at least give us those rune's relics to start with, then, and only then will i say its an actual potential improvement to the game.

How do you know? You haven't even seen it yet . . .

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

How do you know? You haven't even seen it yet . . .

If Relics weren't mean to involve significant cost and/or grind, they'd just give a "legendary relic" to everyone. Or at least offered a corresponding relic for every full runeset (6 runes of the same type) you have. They didn't, which means they are not supposed to just be an easy to obtain QoL, but be a significant grind and/or a gold/mats sink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5