Beta best combos?

SoulGuardian.6203

Sword Catalyst — It's fun. I don't know if it's damage will be worth using in any end-game scenario, but S/D Hybrid Catalyst will be 100% one of my favorite builds in Open World.

Pistol/Torch Scourge — You can finally get rid of clunky scepter and use Parasitic Contagion without 50% damage loss.

GS Power Harbinger — Pretty solid option for Open World, but little more fragile than Reaper.

Shortbow Herald — Condi Herald is finally here.

• Like 1

Power Staff deatheye 3-3-2. A lot of self-quickness. Base damage on auto is so high, you are not reliant on smashing buttons constantly to do decent dps. No reliance on Utilities. Just a good LI build, with high output and low skill requirements and healthy skill ceiling.

Edited to not cause a riot.

Edited by SlayerXX.7138
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Isn't this contradictory?

Normal Damage build: 10k - 36k damage depending on execution, Disruption through mechanics etc.
High skill floor damage build: 15k-36k
High skill ceiling damage build 10k-42k
Numbers are not accurate, but i hope you get the idea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Normal Damage build: 10k - 36k damage depending on execution, Disruption through mechanics etc.

No, I mean, if it's a LI build (low intensity), it cannot be a "high skill floor/ceiling" build. A LI build by definition don't involve the notion of "high skill". That is what I mean by "isn't this contradictory?"

4 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

High skill floor means the build would require high skill from the player in order to reasonably play it. I think you might be trying to use this phrase as something that means "higher base damage" or something?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

No, I mean, if it's a LI build (low intensity), it cannot be a "high skill floor/ceiling" build. A LI build by definition don't involve the notion of "high skill". That is what I mean by "isn't this contradictory?"

Skill ceiling: what a build can do when the person using it, is very skilled. The skill floor (what a build can do when the person using it, is not very skilled), is high(decent damage output). You can't go higher then the ceiling, you can't go lower then the floor. I guess there are other definition of these gamer terms out there, but I did clarify what I meant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Isn't this contradictory?

Having a high floor and high ceiling? No.

if you imagined skill level as building, where walking up the stairs is a normalized measure of skill, you could imagine build A sits between floor 80 and floor 295. That’s a high floor, and a high ceiling (normalized 0-1)

Build B compare it to a low skill floor and high ceiling : a build that sits between floor 15 and floor 160. (Normalized 0-1)

Build C a low skill floor, low skill ceiling is a build that sits between floor 2 and and floor 20. (Normalized 0-1)

the normalized value is that in terms of output, they all perform the same (hence the reason you normalize them to begin with)…so build A, B and C are performing at the same maximal output (1) even though they have different ceilings. So build A has to climb 295 floors to be as good as Build C that has to climb 20, and these are both the maximum output of those builds are capable of (the highest they can climb)

Their barrier for entry to play (0) is also normalized so in order to make use of build A you have to climb 80 floors first. In order to make the use of Build C you got to climb only 2.

So slayerxx is correct here.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Having a high floor and high ceiling? No.

Pretty sure that's not what was questioned. What was questioned is the notion of "LI but high skill floor". If it has high skill floor, it requires relatively high skill to use, meanwhile LI builds aim at low effort and ease of use. If a LI build has high skill floor, it failed the task and isn't exactly a LI build.

So I wouldn't say slayerxx is correct here. 😉

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Pretty sure that's not what was questioned. What was questioned is the notion of "LI but high skill floor". If it has high skill floor, it requires relatively high skill to use, meanwhile LI builds aim at low effort and ease of use. If a LI build has high skill floor, it failed the task and isn't exactly a LI build.

I see, so the question about what was contradictory was more-so aimed at what the purpose of LI builds are...and I didn't get to see Dadnir's follow up comment till now. 

Carry-on.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I feel like maybe it was a misstatement, because my understanding of that build is that it is fairly easy to play.

Other descriptions I have seen of it suggest that it has a high DPS floor and healthy (Slayerxx said "healthy" (i.e. normal), not "high") DPS ceiling.

To me, skill floors and ceilings describe the effort/input required to put out the DPS, not the DPS itself.

Weaver hammer was super fun.

Daredevil rifle for WvW. Shift the survivability from invisibility to mobility and you get something that pokes you from range and is almost impossible to catch up

Mirage dagger has some potential but I'm too lazy to invest time to min max a build around that. 

• Like 1