Forced to use Boost ??

So i just pre ordered the new xpac . and got the boost . and extra shared inventory slot . however i dont get to use that shared inventory slot until i use the boost . im not allowed to put the boost in my bank .. why ?? its like your forcing use to use the boost .. smh i dont understand :(

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Sumen.5402 said:

=just doesnt seem right . what if i wanna save it .. i cant use that shared slot unless i use it .. very poor 😞

I you could take it away you might put it on a charater that you then delete.

That would create more work for the support staff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Use it. They work like that. I also don't know the reason for this. (Something in their spaghetti code? Or they might want you to re-buy one later ... making the decision harder.)

Personally I never used one to level a char that way. I only have 9 chars - one for each profession. (Don't need more. Should I try to go for keys doing story on a new char or so ... I have still a lot of scrolls.) And for each profession it was more fun (and better for learning) to manually level. + there is a ton of additional exp. from the char guide achievements we have nowadays.

• Like 1

The boosts have always worked that way. I think Anet did it because it's likely to be the first valuable item new players get and therefore the one most likely to result in support tickets because someone deleted the character holding it, put it in the bank and forgot it was there or otherwise lost it. Putting it in a shared inventory slot and making it impossible to remove until you use it means it's impossible to delete it and (almost) impossible to not know where it is.

It is also annoying if you want the slot more than the boost. But if you've been playing for a while (especially on a paid account) you'll likely have other ways to quickly level characters - mainly Tomes of Knowledge from login rewards and other places and birthday scrolls. So you could use the boost on a character who is already level 80 to get it out the shared slot and get the items, then if you want an instant level 80 sometime later use tomes or scrolls to level them up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Mimizu.7340 said:

Found myself in the exact same situation, 

so last night I used the boost on my key farmer character, 

after reset tomorrow I will delete her...

😢

Do make lvl 40,60 story and map complete bloodstone fen before you delete her.

For 2+ more keys.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Do make lvl 40,60 story and map complete bloodstone fen before you delete her.

For 2+ more keys.

I had  planned to do the 3 keys tomorrow before I delete, but the point of map completing bloodstone fen escapes me.

Is it a guaranteed key or somesuch?

Please elaborate.

13 minutes ago, Mimizu.7340 said:

I had  planned to do the 3 keys tomorrow before I delete, but the point of map completing bloodstone fen escapes me.

Please elaborate.

No but a good chance for one and take like 10-15mins ( faster if you speed) since its so small.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mimizu.7340 said:

Please elaborate.

People farm it for a chance at a key because it's fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Xperiment.6923 said:

I've had a 80 boost in my shared inventory for 8 months now...if I do use it and buy SoTA guess that boost comes back to haunt me...dang

Dont worry I got 3 level 80 boosts in my shared slot they stack so dont use it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've still got a boost from EoD I never used, but I've also got 20 shared slots and if I'm honest many of them are filled with things I don't actually use (putting those things in shared slots is supposed to remind me to use them) so one more isn't a big deal.

I might use it after I get SotO though. I've got two characters I've been trying to decide if I want to make permanent for ages, both need elite specs to work so they're ideal candidates for the boost and being able to use any weapon with any elite would help with at least one of them.

But I've also got almost 250 tomes of knowledge and a pile of birthday scrolls, so I could make several instant level 80s without the boost. I've just never gotten around to making a decision.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The boosts have always worked that way. I think Anet did it because it's likely to be the first valuable item new players get and therefore the one most likely to result in support tickets because someone deleted the character holding it, put it in the bank and forgot it was there or otherwise lost it. Putting it in a shared inventory slot and making it impossible to remove until you use it means it's impossible to delete it and (almost) impossible to not know where it is.

It is also annoying if you want the slot more than the boost. But if you've been playing for a while (especially on a paid account) you'll likely have other ways to quickly level characters - mainly Tomes of Knowledge from login rewards and other places and birthday scrolls. So you could use the boost on a character who is already level 80 to get it out the shared slot and get the items, then if you want an instant level 80 sometime later use tomes or scrolls to level them up.

They already use the "type to delete" feature for items.

So why not just use that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

They already use the "type to delete" feature for items.

So why not just use that?

That doesn't happen if you delete the character who is holding the item.

Some new players will make and delete a lot of characters before settling on one to play and it's very easy to make a character, collect any bonus items you're sent in mail or which appear in their inventory and then forget to check if you need to save those (or anything else) when deleting them. Especially if you don't know about the bank yet.

• Like 3

For those unwilling to investigate the provided link:

Can I save the boost in my bank to use later?

No. To prevent players from accidentally deleting or losing the boost, it is bound to the shared inventory slot that it comes with. It must be consumed before you can use the shared inventory space for other items.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/2/2023 at 11:52 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Just the way it is, and always has been since inception. 

If I remember correctly, the Devs posted about the reason long ago.  You can probably find the post(s) in the archived forum.

The reason, if i remember, is that the item is used two times. First for the "level up trial", and second time for the confirmation. And if that item ended up being misplaced in between those 2 steps, bad things could happen.

• Confused 2

Overall, I agree - it's a very idiotic decision to forcibly leave a booster in the shared slot. However, I quickly used up my couple of them because the leveling process is extremely boring, and nobody can convince me otherwise. Although, with the current crafting professions, I leveled all other characters through them. This took about 5-30 gold per character, depending on the availability of materials, and about an hour and a half of time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1