Soulbeast should be a Quickness Specialization

FalsePromises.6398

I find it odd that the oddball high damage specialization with little to no unique utility, boon, or support features was the pick for a utility boon role, and not the specialization with powerful supportive stances and built-in infrastructure around quickness and boons already. If anything, Untamed subtracts from your support options by obstructing pet skills that could heal for unleashed skills, while Soulbeast can optionally pick tons of supportive and teamplay oriented skills via different merges, species, and archetypes. Soulbeast is just all around a better practical and conceptual pick for adding quickness, especially when its sole role of damage is already being eclipsed by Untamed and now Druid too. 

Anyone got thoughts to share on the topic? I've been distancing myself from the game since the changes, and never got much into Untamed to begin with, let alone played the new quickness role. Just vexes me that we've lost a possible heal-quick option with high versatility and robustness from stances for another dead end quickdps. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Untamed needed a reason to exist and a trait to replace fervent force so it was the most obvious and easiest option for the devs but yeah it doesn't really have anything else in the spec to support the quickness build.

Doesn't help that it is still the same problem pre and post patch, it isn't an elite spec it is just one trait.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Riot Inducer.8964 said:

I mean on the one hand I agree. Soulbeast has its stance sharing thing to riff off of and all. 

I more hoped to see a realistic application of the supportive and versatile merges outside of cheeky competitive picks (if they're even still used as such). Fern Hound and Pink Moa could become great picks for a healer Soulbeast with their access to control effects and healing on demand. Could also open the gate towards making some of the selfish healing merge skills (like bite, chomp, or photosynthesize) have reason to become less selfish. Either way, with access to stances, new spirit commands, and druid staff, Soulbeast could definitely make it as a quick healer and a highly versatile quick dps. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, BenaSPACE.6028 said:

I hard agree. I feel like there's a lot of unutilized potential with soulbeast and its ability to support, and giving it access to group quickness would emphasize it; Especially with staff becoming a general-access weapon.

I have to disagree, stance-sharing is lovely for support like condi cleanse with bear and dolyak dmg reduction. I think it feels less of a support option bc 2 things,

1. since pslb is the most popular build rn, and the build itself is very strict with the utility and grandmaster trait (oppressive superiority), the stance sharing (leader of the pack) trait is left behind even if it's just a minor dps loss. and being locked to sick'em, frost trap, and signet of the wild in order to be competitive in dmg ain't helping as well...

2. slb support option is most of the time not with key boons like quick/alac but from unique boons/stances that u barely track. (apart from moa and vulture stances that give boons on top of the unique stance)

don't get me wrong, i'd love to play more slb in any content but slb has support options and they don't have a place in today's meta sadly 😔

On 7/4/2023 at 1:44 AM, Mic.1897 said:

Nah Untamed should have it because Soulbeast has to waste a traitline on BM

On 7/4/2023 at 3:13 AM, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Soulbeast loves BM on power, if you didn't get anything out of BM on pslb you'd use marksmanship. Wdym waste?

Anet needs to rework the traitlines: Players should not be forced to specialize in one specific traitline to be able to have a minimal functional pet. The speed, stats and other sheaningans in that traitline should become baseline and the minors keep the special extra buffs (like the 10% extra damage and such) . An addional crit chance for pets would be welcome also. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sandzibar.5134 said:

Yeah. unless you take BM your pet is a wet noodle.

Its like theives and trickery.

Without a specific traitline being a taken a core resource/mechanic is hamstringed.

Hard disagree. You don't need BM for ranger to function where as trickery is easily the most mandatory traitline in the game. Pets still do a lot of dmg without it, they're just more limited by movement speed. Thankfully, some of rangers S tier pets such as Jacaranda and Smokescale function without it. Jac has ranged attacks and SS has the port. 

More often than not, you will find BM on power builds, but that's mostly due to Soulbeast being by far the best performing spec ATM. There are still optimal builds not running BM. For obvious reasons, plenty of condi builds don't take it along with support builds. 

Trickery is run on absolutely every single thief build there is, power, condi, boon support, heal specter. They aren't the same

Pets do no damage anyway since boons are not prioritised on them by the game. At most you can expect 10% of your total damage to come from your pet.

The best way to use pets is pure utility unless you are Untamed with the Unleashed mechanic. 

On 7/12/2023 at 2:16 PM, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

Trickery is run on absolutely every single thief build there is, power, condi, boon support, heal specter.

Idk about that, last I checked a lot of thief power styles ran critical strikes and deadly arts without trickery… unless you’re talking PvP or WvW. Trickery is essential if you’re expending tons of initiative for utility purposes (or to proc on-dual-attack benefits), but power leans away from that in PvE. 

Honestly a more oppressive trait line monopoly upon a class is necromancer’s soul reaping, granted it’s more because it’s absurdly packed with goodies while a lot of other necromancer lines are mediocre.