i wanted more evolution out of an expansion

last week i bought path of fire....that's how behind i am on a game i've been playing since it came out.

I'll give the same criticism i gave when path of fire came out and I avoided buying it. I want scyths and land spears and a new profession. preferably ritualist or paragon.

this expansion similarly doesn't offer anything really new, old professions holding old weapons isn't new.

• Like 5
  • Confused 26
  • Sad 2

So the ritualist and paragon fantasies just don't exist in GW2. Ritualist was parted out to be used in Guardian, Revenant, and Necro; Paragon was parted out to be used in Guardian, Warrior, and to some extent Vindicator.

At this point wanting those jobs is kind of an empty fantasy because most of their unique features exist in some form on other professions/especs.

As for weapons...boy you'll LOVE SotO.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

From the very start not all xpacs had same goals.
This one isn't about tons of new content, but about tons of new ways to play, as combat system is getting massive rebalancing with relics, new weapons and e-spec weapons unlock.
On paper this sounds like a lazy way to go about things, but it's not.

Balancing this whole thing will be a nightmare.
A new set of e-specs would exist within existing framework of balance.
And I dare say that would be the easy way out.

But instead they're chosen to blur the line and bend the rules of existing system.
Given how much already exists within it's confines this either be one very harsh lesson for a-net, or a display of their game design and balance prowess.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

From the very start not all xpacs had same goals.
This one isn't about tons of new content, but about tons of new ways to play, as combat system is getting massive rebalancing with relics, new weapons and e-spec weapons unlock.
On paper this sounds like a lazy way to go about things, but it's not.

Balancing this whole thing will be a nightmare.
A new set of e-specs would exist within existing framework of balance.
And I dare say that would be the easy way out.

But instead they're chosen to blur the line and bend the rules of existing system.
Given how much already exists within it's confines this either be one very harsh lesson for a-net, or a display of their game design and balance prowess.

Yea it kinda feels like they will release 2-3 mini expansions and then call it a day since the horror to balance it will be to much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

"I want something new, like these two professions and weapons from a GW1 expansion that came out over 15 years ago!"

to quote you, "old professions holding old weapons isn't new."

Edited by BANNED.9527
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2

On 7/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, Duke Nukem.6783 said:

last week i bought path of fire....that's how behind i am on a game i've been playing since it came out.

I'll give the same criticism i gave when path of fire came out and I avoided buying it. I want scyths and land spears and a new profession. preferably ritualist or paragon.

this expansion similarly doesn't offer anything really new, old professions holding old weapons isn't new.

Anet has already said they will be releasing smaller bits of content. The price tag on this is $25 dollars. I don't expect it to be as big as PoF or HoT but for the money we are getting quite a bit in terms of content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The populations are new so many here may never have even played GW1 to know it.. These forums aren't an accurate view of GW franchise.. Many here do not echo what the majority want in GW2.. so the results are skewed etc..

My guilds are full of people that wish for new races and classes because 99% are casual customers just looking for more pve and content to play.. here its all the minotities screaming about meta, mechanics and raids etc..

Op you wont get a good result in the forums asking for standard things.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, Dante.1508 said:

The populations are new so many here may never have even played GW1 to know it.. These forums aren't an accurate view of GW franchise.. Many here do not echo what the majority want in GW2.. so the results are skewed etc..

My guilds are full of people that wish for new races and classes because 99% are casual customers just looking for more pve and content to play.. here its all the minotities screaming about meta, mechanics and raids etc..

Op you wont get a good result in the forums asking for standard things.

yes the derish and paragon with scyth and spear would go over really well with the larger community

• Haha 2

On 7/8/2023 at 11:32 PM, Duke Nukem.6783 said:

My mains in GW1 were Paragon and Ritualist and I also enjoyed playing Monks. None of these made it in GW2 and never will probably. EoD also completely ignored Kurzicks, my favourite faction of GW1. I can't express how disappointed I am that none of them had a return in GW2. They were my favourite things in GW1 (yes this is a reference to the Manifesto).

EoD on the first run-through was ok but the replay value for me was meh. Same with PoF. I still play in HoT regularly. I'm on the fence on SotO but I'll soon find out. There are some things that make me a bit more positive. And I have to disagree with your last statement. I have a couple of core necros and a core guardian but they are a bit limited right now and as a consequence I rarely play them, but I feel that the core classes really benefit from having the elite spec weapons available to them. But that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

To the OP

POF is literally the most fun I’ve ever had playing a game. Season 4 was probably even better.

I’m so sorry you refused to have fun because the devs didn’t design the game around your want list. 

The good news is, GW2 is evergreen and you can still enjoy all of the content right now!!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Alsandar.7420 said:

To the OP

POF is literally the most fun I’ve ever had playing a game. Season 4 was probably even better.

I’m so sorry you refused to have fun because the devs didn’t design the game around your want list. 

The good news is, GW2 is evergreen and you can still enjoy all of the content right now!!

Just shows you how subjective fun is. PoF was pretty good for me except the extended aggro range of mobs pissing all over my fun parade, which caused PoF to have extremely low replay value for me and I really can't stand the maps in LS4. I spend as little time as possible there unless I really need something.

I admit I hated HoT at first but I've grown to enjoy it over time and now they're some of my favourite maps. So effectively I had the reverse experience with HoT and PoF. What hasn't changed is that I much prefer LS3 over LS4. I spend and spent waaaay more time in LS3 maps.

Point is that fun is entirely subjective.

So for you to say that the OP "refused to have fun etc.", aside from it being a bit condescending, is just an empty statement afaic.

Still, I'm not saying the OP is right. In my view there's a bit of a discrepancy between their expectations and reality.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I actually prefer if they don't try to reinvent the wheel all the time because I have a feeling their creative touch ran out a bit. There was not really much new in IBS and EOD that was good (only good thing were Strikes, but those are only poor man's raids and not really new and IBS were kinda kitten). Most new system were just annoying and not much else.

I would prefer they stick to what works best in the game and try to deliver high quality. 

I do think we might see a new class or less likely a new race in the future if this new model sticks and their revenue is stable. I think easier to include in the game comparted to another whole set of elite specs. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've deleted several level 80 characters recently (a guardian/FB and an engineer/mechanist) to make new ones (necro/harbinger and warrior/undecided). But making new versions of the same old professions that I've already got multiple versions of (across two accounts) isn't really scratching the itch for something new and different. I needs me some new professions/races! I don't care if I'm running them through the same old same old stories/events/whatever. I don't care if a new profession/race doesn't 'make sense' in the context of the already nonsensical timeline/maps/story. That didn't stop anet from adding the revenant profession, which can now exist in Tyria before the profession came into existence. In Tyria. See what I mean, Vern? Sure, sure, the loosening of weapon restrictions will help a little, but not the way having, say, a Tengu Ritualist or a Choya Dervish would. Or a Largos, uh . . . Landshark! Yeah, that's the ticket! Landshark! All-new, all-different profession, wielding a dry-land spear/trident/polearm. With, ah, BITE ATTACKS! /e knock knock "Who is it?" "Candygram." "Oh, candygra--aaaaaaahhh!"

Edited by Tachenon.5270
edit for Reason
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Just shows you how subjective fun is. PoF was pretty good for me except the extended aggro range of mobs pissing all over my fun parade, which caused PoF to have extremely low replay value for me and I really can't stand the maps in LS4. I spend as little time as possible there unless I really need something.

I admit I hated HoT at first but I've grown to enjoy it over time and now they're some of my favourite maps. So effectively I had the reverse experience with HoT and PoF. What hasn't changed is that I much prefer LS3 over LS4. I spend and spent waaaay more time in LS3 maps.

Point is that fun is entirely subjective.

So for you to say that the OP "refused to have fun etc.", aside from it being a bit condescending, is just an empty statement afaic.

Still, I'm not saying the OP is right. In my view there's a bit of a discrepancy between their expectations and reality.

In general, horizontal range was kind of the point of PoF maps. The whole expac was definitely a sort of reciprocal to HoT's verticality. The mobs are that way because they need the additional help chasing mounts and giving them some actual stakes and dynamic contours, instead of just spending most of your cruising in lonely silence.

Not saying you're wrong for not enjoying it as much, but I view PoF maps as requiring a lot of mount usage to be fun, same as HoT really encouraged glider and mushroom usage.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1