Just turn the mech into some Fallout-like power armor already

GetFoxxed.9478

It needs so much tunning to do that and keep it balanced... 

Imagine a Mechanist super tank, where you get into your mech that has 50k health and 3k armor, when that's killed you just respawn in with your elite skill for another 50k health to go through, and if that's killed again you still have the player to kill... 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, AlPower.2476 said:

Engineer having an combat suit is already very holo-like

Holo isn't about a "combat suit", it's about a laser sword. It's more Jedai than Iron Man.

3 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

Yeah when I first heard about mechanist... I thought it was going to be some awesome power armour.  Maybe it would fold into a backpack... Last thing I wanted was a pet... if I wanted that I'd play ranger.

Same. I really wanted power armor.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I thought at one point a fun engineer jack of all trades class mechanic would be a power inverter... that converted you from power to condi (essentially two build profiles, with maybe same skills).  You'd need skills balanced to have condi and power effects, sort of like nades does.  Essentially you'd make two build templates and power would swap with condition damage, ferocity swaps with toughness or something. (so you couldn't build utter tank and utter glass, the conversion between stats would be fixed).  The trick would be working out which build to use in which circumstance...   I thought it would be a cool unique class mechanic to have essentially the flexibility to adjust to fight dynamics with your power suit that inverted your damage type.

Edited by shion.2084

Or perhaps read into the struggle you are experiencing that Arenanet doesn't want a population of nothing but mechanists. You are welcome - actually encouraged - to try something different - you don't even need to change classes if desired as both scrapper and holo do not have a pet to worry about.

It's a easy, high-damage-for-effort build that is designed to struggle with a rifle (mechanical genius's purpose) to counter those two factors being too much of a major attractant (>15% of all players are on mech for a reason).

The class will not die for those who are lazy enough to not care about its pain points, or not able (due to disabilities) to play a non-mechanist and that will keep it afloat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/9/2023 at 5:10 PM, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

It will work better than having to constantly fight the braindead AI to avoid leaving the tiny range of Mechanical Genius -_-

It's too late for that, they will never put that much amount of work for such a rework to fit that fantasy. Also i'd rather not, they would probably just copy/paste merge mechanic and make it a worse soulbeast lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Parpage.9867 said:

It's too late for that, they will never put that much amount of work for such a rework to fit that fantasy. Also i'd rather not, they would probably just copy/paste merge mechanic and make it a worse soulbeast lol

I agree with the latter, but when it comes to big reworks Anet recently surprised me with the changes to ECSU for Holosmith, for some builds at least it's a massive difference that came seemingly out of nowhere, yes they didn't add any visual effects rather they just increased damage/condi durations/boon durations but as you said if they make it into a merge mechanic simmilar to Soulbeast they won't need to add any particular visual effects. 

So it's possible in terms of work load, but yeah for every other reason very unlikely. 

Edited by jason.1083
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 8:27 PM, jason.1083 said:

It needs so much tunning to do that and keep it balanced... 

Imagine a Mechanist super tank, where you get into your mech that has 50k health and 3k armor, when that's killed you just respawn in with your elite skill for another 50k health to go through, and if that's killed again you still have the player to kill... 

Well congratz because you just describe how facing a Necromancer feels like. Yeah sure it isnt exactly like that but it doesnt exactly matter when you can regen your life force with minimal effort.

As for the OP, while I wouldnt exactly mind having a power armor mech, I would like to remind you that the current dev team has literally 0 idea how Engineer work as a class so I would be extremely careful on what I ask. Anet being Anet they will definitely manage to make a reworked Mechanist perform worse than the pre reworked Mechanist

• Like 4

On 7/11/2023 at 9:15 PM, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Anet being Anet they will definitely manage to make a reworked Mechanist perform worse than the pre reworked Mechanist

I'm not worried about performance as long as it is fun and cohesive with engineer's core identity.

The reason many people enjoy mech so much is precisely because it has very little to do with engineer identity at all. We always deserved better than getting a bigger asura elite that is just bloated in power and primarily good because it can ignore the majority of PvE mechanics with its pet status that player characters can't and its profession utility skills being overpowered to compensate lack of toolbelt while every other skill remains weak. Granted, a power armor is just an asura elite too...

• Like 1

If I recall the first problem people had with Mechanist was it's high performance with exceptionally low intensity, which was attributed to the mech being really strong. 

And yeah this is why it doesn't have the classic engi feel, it almost feels wrong. For a bit after EoD released I remember mechs doing unthinkable stuff like hitting through dodge, or even somehow forcing you to redirect all your attacks to the mech even when you had the player targeted(Yes that was apparently a thing, I encountered multiple mechanists like that). 

Which ultimately brings us here to how the spec is today.

The power armor idea if balanced correctly could be ok, but it's both unlikely gonna be balanced, and it's out of Arena Nets radar atm. Too big of a change, and potentially more complains about it not working how it's intended to. 

1 hour ago, jason.1083 said:

For a bit after EoD released I remember mechs doing unthinkable stuff like hitting through dodge, or even somehow forcing you to redirect all your attacks to the mech even when you had the player targeted(Yes that was apparently a thing, I encountered multiple mechanists like that). 

...?
What?

Jason, what the heck are you talking about?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

...?
What?

Jason, what the heck are you talking about?

I swear I encountered both of those things against mechs in PvP and WvW, multiple times, I know it sounds crazy but I know it when I see it, they were a thing for a brief amount of time after EoD released. Bugs ofc, but they existed.