With the new expansion model, it's time for gambling to go...

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

So, should we forbid John from eating a piece of cake because Sarah is diabetic?

Should all social media, computer games, and the like be banned because some people can become addicted to them?

Red meat...illegal because some people might choose to eat too much of it?

Opposing authoriatianism and supporting individual freedom is not defending gambling. As previously mentioned I find gambling in games such as this one to be abhorrent.

Attempting to deprive most people of self determination is not compassion. Doing so via force of government, which is always backed by men and women with guns, is tyranny. And compassion, the emotion, may not be harmful but actions taken because of compassion often are some of the most harmful. Ask Mao about The Great Leap Forward.

Government? 

And what force?

Guild Wars 2 as a company that can make their own decisions. 

This is a forum for expressing our feedback

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

If you're suggesting people can't get addicted to gambling in video games, you need to do some research.

I'm not suggesting that they can't. I'm just baffled people can get addicted to gambling in games where there's literally nothing to gain from it. Isn't the point of gambling that you can get something worth more than your investment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I'm not suggesting that they can't. I'm just baffled people can get addicted to gambling in games where there's literally nothing to gain from it. Isn't the point of gambling that you can get something worth more than your investment?

Many times it's not so much about money

It doesn't have to makes sense.

They are chasing the dopamin rush

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

So, should we forbid John from eating a piece of cake because Sarah is diabetic?

Should all social media, computer games, and the like be banned because some people can become addicted to them?

Opposing authoriatianism and supporting individual freedom is not defending gambling. As previously mentioned I find gambling in games such as this one to be abhorrent.

Attempting to deprive most people of self determination is not compassion. Doing so via force of government, which is always backed by men and women with guns, is tyranny. And compassion, the emotion, may not be harmful but actions taken because of compassion often are some of the most harmful. Ask Mao about The Great Leap Forward.

Where did I imply that everything that is harmful should be forbidden and much more, forbidden horizontically/to everyone? What I wrote and you didint want to understand is that there are positives and negatives as with everything in life. Thats why I gave the example of phones vs gambling. And yes, thats why some countries taxing (flat) higher sugar based products, that's why doctors tend to not suggest too much red meat consumption, thats why partents -should- limit the usage of social media on kids and etc.

I will not engage in a witch hunt with you trying to answer you and solve world's every harmful thing in gw2 forums. This post origianlly was and is about gambling, inside a game. That includes kids. And as that isnt enough for you or is less important than the "freedom" you saying you represent, how about the freedom of the kids of the persons that are gamblers? Do the kids of a gambler, that gambled away the money purposed for their milk, are self determined enough? Who is going to pay the note for the "freedom" of such a "free" person that will end up in streets? So even if you find compassion harmful because somehow you connected it to a nation's policy, try rational thinking. That isn't harmful either.

I will end it here only by saying this: 9/10 times in life, the common good, the community wellbeing, safety and care alligns with your personal long term interests and so with your ability to be free.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

So should driving without seatbelt on be allowed? Or maybe with a phone in your hand? Should we allow it to give alcohol to children? And why not drugs? Because after all it’s “individual freedom” 

a rather disgusting definition of freedom 

and last time I checked Anet wasn’t the government nor are they backed by men and women with guns 

luckily more and more states are doing something against gambling. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/21/2023 at 1:58 PM, jokke.6239 said:

I see many reasons, Sadly not so easy for an addict to "Just stop". They are chasing dopamin hits

You're saying that you want it removed because you would like to be able to reccommend GW to people without having this in the back of my mind.

It sounds like either some of your friends have a gambling problem, at which point you should focus on helping them ooor they don't have a gambling addiction, at which point you should be safe to recommend gw to those people.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

20 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I usually agree with a lot of what you say. But thats a pretty terrible argument for gambling.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/21/2023 at 4:35 PM, Mppa.3250 said:

All Sandstorm hands and Destabilized Ectoplasm purchases now have a daily limit of 20. "

Just a reminder that they did this update fastly after that testimonial, sign that they weren't really confident about their own practices.

It's always easy to think that we are immune to any addiction but history tend to prove that they can happen at anyone's house, at any time of our life with the concur of some accidents of life.

One day you have everything, the next one you are nothing. Stay humble everyone.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1