So this new enemy in the secrets of the obscure

Amanda Whitemoon.6173

2 hours ago, Narcemus.1348 said:

Fleshweavers from Eye of the North was the first thing that came to my mind as well. They were always a small part of the story, never being in the limelight, though there were more of them in GW2

certain Torment Demons also have Fleshy like appearances as well back in GW1.

I suspect for now we maybe going into the more "Races" of Demons rather than Factions of Demons for this expansion. 

In the Deepstone fractal, Torin gets possessed by a demon. Also, in the Sunqua Peak challenge mode fractal, Ai interacts with demons.  Additionally, Kanaxi and Deimos, as others mentioned.  The final boss of the Volcanic fractal is a demon. Eater of Souls, countless imps, oni, there are a lot of demons in the Guild Wars universe already. 

Edited by Tom.8029
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Lots of possibilities, but very few match the visual design of the kryptis. Only Kanaxai's redesign really does - the design of a black flesh covered by stretched out gray skin. But if we're talking GW1 demons, they could easily redesign them just as they did Kanaxai to suit their needs.

The one that reminds me the most is actually dryders - specifically the Frostfire and Terrorweb dryder designs. Following that, fleshreavers though the lore of fleshreavers is that they're born as skeletons and add the dead flesh of their kills onto their skin which feels very distinctly non-Kryptid, especially when many Kryptids are with disconnected limbs and not very skeletal.  Would be a shame if they retconned the one piece of horror and uniqueness in the fleshreaver lore.

But overall we have (in order of exposure to players) as types of demons (by birth or by transformation):

• Dryders (seemingly born from the Spawning Pools)
  • Imps
  • Nightmares
  • Mragga
  • Titans (made by The Fury, general of Dhuum)
  • Grentches (made by followers of Grenth)
  • Torment creatures / Stygians (born from the Dreadspawn Maw)
  • Mang
  • Oni (made by Kanaxai)
  • Kanaxai
  • Margonites (made by Abaddon)
  • The Blasphemy
  • Fleshreavers
  • Deimos
  • Eater of Souls
  • Eye of Fate/Judgment (implied to be originally Grenth servants turned by Dhuum)
  • The Voice
  • Ai's nameless demon

There might be some I missed... This said, I think it's specifically referring to Kanaxai about having met them before because for the longest time the gww entry for Kanaxai emphasized his unknown allegiance and origin despite such not being a big deal - most demons are independent if not tied to one of the three Prime Evils. I don't see Deimos being connected - visually completely different, and Deimos' origins were said to be tied to Saul's guilt manifesting, which would make it similar to Ai's demon in Sunqua Peak fractal.

2 hours ago, Tom.8029 said:

The final boss of the Volcanic fractal is a demon.

It is mechanically, but lorewise it's a grawl who transforms. And when asked about it, devs went to explain the way Primordus corrupts which matched the grawl's abilities and actions before becoming the Imbued Shaman. This combined with the destroyer bow it uses, implies it's actually corrupted into a destroyer like Braham or the Stone Summit.

• Thanks 1

What's interesting about the new image is they labeled two parts of the creature like a science diagram. One for the fleshy bits, and one for the pointy bits. 

Edit: This image. I wonder if this means that they are a combination of two distinct creature types. It would make sense seeing as some of their limbs seem so unproportional. Fleshreavers are undoubtedly one part of it, and I've been trying to dig up more information on them as well as Verata and his old operation. The pointy bit is more intriguing to me. I wonder if this will tie into the maws, or the deep sea monster? 

Edited by loonatic.1689
  • Like 1

reading the blogpost I saw this quote about the kryptis:

Creatures of the demon realm; it’s been a hot minute since we’ve faced off against foes from across the Mists. With the exception of a few Kryptis that have wiggled their way through Tyria’s back door in the past

So in short, they come from the demon realm, Tyria has seen them before and a backdoor. Thats how the titans come to mind. On a further note. Kryptis comes from latin and means secret or hidden. Most Titans in GW1 had latin names. I also find it sooting to bring them back as they where a secundairy enemy and brought to Tyria by a powefull wizard. So to me it could make sense (but could be something else as well)

• Like 2

As mentioned above, it wouldn't surprise me if Titans were derived from or directly related from the Kryptis, or vice-versa. Also Kanaxai is definitely one and they seem to have "Houses" and therefore somehow organized in a hierarchical fashion. We might end up finding out there's some pocket in the Realm of Torment or elsewhere in the Mists where a "Demon society" emerged. Keep in mind demons in the GW multiverse can originate in many different ways but almost invariably form in the Mists. 

In GW1 the Realm of Torment did have "organized" Demons that fell under the banner of the Greater Darkness but the quotes matter as they of course didn't use actual terms like "Houses" or even talk much at all. And there were more definitely chaotic demons there like the Dreadspawn Maw whose wants and needs are more Lovecraftian/undefined in nature. But nothing says that there couldn't be a proper (albeit twisted) civilization there as well. The Margonites did managed to have a city of sorts right inside the Realm of Torment.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...