LFG for raids is awful

2 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I fully agree on this one. I made a few posts in the past how LFG could be improved. I often say we had better tools even 20 years a go and I am not kidding. 

I am also baffled how anyone would not want to have improved group finder. NOT auto lfg. Just a better interface for existing LFG with more and better options and better accessibility. Especially because this game is sliced in instances, including hub maps, there is no global chat channel where you could communicate with everyone. LFG is the only in game tool that can connect random players from the whole server. I would think having a strong tool for grouping in an massive online game would be top priority because playing with other players increases fun a lot. And guilds and discord is not the same. That's step 2 in forming a bond with other players. Step one is initiating the communications. And gw2 could make this much easier. 

I don't think anyone seriously disagrees that the lfg can be improved. It certainly could and I pretty much agree with all you wrote. The issue I see is, that 95% of all improvement suggestions on this forum basicly are a request for some form of auto lfg / auto queing, even it got explained for I don't know how many times why this won't work in this game. And that's probably the reason why many people automaticly turn on defense stence when such a topic pops up.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

you know, every time a thread comes up like this, a handfulof players defend the design of the lfg and all i have to say is, that's weird. we all know its bad, and any of us who have played another game know just how bad it actually is, not just that its bad. repeatedly replying to threads asking for some degree of progress in this way saying its not necesary isn't helpful, and this is becoming very common on these forums for some reason.

Simply because 90% of the "let's make it better" threads boil down to "make autoLFG lol". Which flat out does not, and can not work (inb4 someone with 0 raid experience chimes in with a "yes it can!").

The other 10% are sane calls for "can we just please have basic 10-man groups, with subgroups, move, kick, and ownership functionality?", to which the local I-paid-300-gold-for-this-tag people start screeching.

What do?

• Thanks 4

6 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

you know, every time a thread comes up like this, a handfulof players defend the design of the lfg and all i have to say is, that's weird. we all know its bad, and any of us who have played another game know just how bad it actually is, not just that its bad. repeatedly replying to threads asking for some degree of progress in this way saying its not necesary isn't helpful, and this is becoming very common on these forums for some reason.

It's because they benefit from raids being inaccessible.

• Confused 6

On 8/10/2023 at 8:24 AM, Skylite.9180 said:

Seriously, I love how unique GW2 is I've been playing for 10 years on and off and participate in most content including raids on and off back in HoT release.  Fast-forward to a few weeks ago andI've been working on my envoy armor for raids and it's awful. I don't mind the grind and learning the raids at all, they've been super fun but man I despise the lfg system so much. Not only is it clunky as hell but I have to either command a group or suffer Commander kitten merging my group and then recruiting in MY group for a whole separate wing, then when I tell them to buzz off I get kicked out of my own group. So then I'm left with commanding, I bought that stupid glorified boy scout badge only to avoid that but now I'm expected to know EVERYTHING in the raid for every role. Like I don't give a kitten about what letter of the alphabet dps you are or what every class that isn't the one I play does, I just care if we have a tank (for some fights) a healer and some dps. Why do I have to care if you're doing a condi off heal/support/alac/mocha frappe/whatever build and have to know if it's compatible with the rest of the team comp. 

I completely understand that the commander tag IS for being a raid leader, but man why are my only options 1) to not command and leave myself to the mercy of dickhead commanders. 2) command and then get kitten for not knowing what everyone else needs to do. Or 3) Use a 3rd party app (discord) and go into one of the training raid groups and basically use it as a better LFG. 

Raids would definitely have been more popular if the devs just made it more accessible. Even in games without LFG as long as you know your own role and the mechanics for your own class you'll be fine. The raids aren't even particularly hard or impossible 

Cryposting done. LFG can suck on my big toe.

I really agree with all you said. But instead of hoping anet will do something or saying "oh anet should implement role applications/selection in LFG" or "we need an option to disable merging squads" etcetc... Ill give u a simple solution that works for now: download kp.me addon, take ppl that have atleast 100kp/1.5k Li. It's quite a "toxic" solution of course but sometimes its awful to command a squad and all you wanna do is do a chill raid clear without any shenanigans. And that's the only way. Even with 100kp/1.5k Li req. u might encounter some problems but overall should be ok.

Edited by Carnifex.3275

7 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

5 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I fully agree on this one. I made a few posts in the past how LFG could be improved. I often say we had better tools even 20 years a go and I am not kidding. 

I am also baffled how anyone would not want to have improved group finder. NOT auto lfg. Just a better interface for existing LFG with more and better options and better accessibility. Especially because this game is sliced in instances, including hub maps, there is no global chat channel where you could communicate with everyone. LFG is the only in game tool that can connect random players from the whole server. I would think having a strong tool for grouping in an massive online game would be top priority because playing with other players increases fun a lot. And guilds and discord is not the same. That's step 2 in forming a bond with other players. Step one is initiating the communications. And gw2 could make this much easier. 

despite all the talk i have not yet seen a single good suggestion in this thread on what could be improved. what are "better options, better accessibility"?

you want kp filter? Anet stance is that kp is unnecesary and they wont include any rankings/ingame tools to track it but they gave players an option to show their experience with encounter. beside how would that work with titles (cm groups)  or other unusual stuff thats sometimes is required for specific cases?  or "doing x for y collection"

and that better accessibility is... auto lfg finder? some people suggested it, SoftFootpaws included. how would that work with special roles like 0-2 tanks (depending on encounter)/handkite/pylon/Sabetha cannons/Mursaat 3 special roles/ Dhuum add kiter etc etc.

its obviously not gonna work for raids, but even if we move to something simpler like fractals, what types of queue would we have? T1/T1+rec/T2.../.../T4/T4+rec/CM/CM+T4/Cm+T4+rec ?   what about CM(-100)? or old cm's (97-98)?

also how should i queue? do i have to include every role like power/condi dps, power/condi alac, power/condi quick?  and what if someone leaves in the middle? ( be it dc or toxic player) will the lfg autofill people just for them to immediately leave after they see some dailies done? they could do it for dungeons, but it wouldnt work for any other endgame content

i wouldnt mind visual upgrade (of entire gw UI),  maybe raid/strike/frac  groups showing not just class but spec and how sub-group are sorted and more controll over your group ( like squad merging should only be possible to do by squad leaders and second leader gets pop up to accept or decline)

but beside adjustments to how squad/party works all i see now is people that cant be bothered to type in "t4" in lfg and see what groups are listed and just want their kitten get carried through content.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nimris.3781 said:

its obviously not gonna work for raids, but even if we move to something simpler like fractals, what types of queue would we have? T1/T1+rec/T2.../.../T4/T4+rec/CM/CM+T4/Cm+T4+rec ?   what about CM(-100)? or old cm's (97-98)?

also how should i queue? do i have to include every role like power/condi dps, power/condi alac, power/condi quick?  and what if someone leaves in the middle? ( be it dc or toxic player) will the lfg autofill people just for them to immediately leave after they see some dailies done? they could do it for dungeons, but it wouldnt work for any other endgame content

Adding auto LFG for fractals/dungeons is actually easiest you can do. Reuse current UI you use for fractal selection and just add checkboxes so you can select any number of fractals for CM add anther checkbox. This is like kindergarden stuff. Of course you can run to some issues during implementation of that system, but it is not hard.

Roles are decided by game design so ppl which design content have in mind of what you need to finish that content like in any other MMO. For fractals 1 "heal" and 4 dps would work without any issues. In case someone leave, then it works as in any other MMO.

Why ppl always think that GW2 is special and no other MMO exist.

• Confused 5

56 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Adding auto LFG for fractals/dungeons is actually easiest you can do. Reuse current UI you use for fractal selection and just add checkboxes so you can select any number of fractals for CM add anther checkbox. This is like kindergarden stuff. Of course you can run to some issues during implementation of that system, but it is not hard.

dungeons? sure its outdated and can be completed by any group composition or even solo in some cases. different paths could be somehow solved

but fractals? not really... having 10-15 different group combinations would make queues horrible (long, unorganized) and probably kill any less usual groups (t2-t3, old cms etc.)  also any group that lost member would just mean end for that group.  currently you can sometimes see something like 78+rec ( sirens reef) and there are people that dont mind helping. auto queue? noone is gonna set such a combination and this group will never fill in

also what about kp for cms? gw does not track kills so any random 5 people would make cm experience horrible. and if you make lfg let you set desired kp, well expect very long queues and complains on forums that game is locking content behind some currency (also how does that differ from current lfg and checking what groups are listed?)

you dont have any solution for this and you didnt even once consider how could such lfg work or if it would be good or bad.

56 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Roles are decided by game design so ppl which design content have in mind of what you need to finish that content like in any other MMO. For fractals 1 "heal" and 4 dps would work without any issues. In case someone leave, then it works as in any other MMO.

• 1 "heal" and 4 dps

who among 4 dps is support-dps? what about heal-quick and heal-alac division? this would either make queues very long or kill one of pairs  (probably everyone going heal-quick for fracs, tough luck finding group as heal-alac). and this doesnt solve power/condi division as well

also what does it mean "works as in any other MMO"? mmo's i know have single dungeon as daily (either 1 specific or 1 random), not 3 specific dungeons. its easy to find someone mid dungeon, but after you clear 1 out of 3?

anyone with endgame experience in mmo's knows that lfg finder works perfectly for leveling or some easy/casual normal dungeons (and i am totaly up for doing auto-lfg for gw2 dungeons) but the moment you step into endgame and challanging content, lfg is no longer applicable and you need guild or 3rd-party addons/sites like kp.me to properly form group. if you cant be bothered with spending 5 min to create kp.me account than you wouldnt be able to do engame content in any other mmo as well.

Edited by Nimris.3781
  • Like 3

On 8/10/2023 at 7:24 AM, Skylite.9180 said:

Raids would definitely have been more popular if the devs just made it more accessible. Even in games without LFG as long as you know your own role and the mechanics for your own class you'll be fine. The raids aren't even particularly hard or impossible 

Anet added Emboldened to make getting going in Raids easier and as pretty much everyone thought, it achieved nothing. 

3 hours ago, Nimris.3781 said:

despite all the talk i have not yet seen a single good suggestion in this thread on what could be improved. what are "better options, better accessibility"?

you want kp filter? Anet stance is that kp is unnecesary and they wont include any rankings/ingame tools to track it but they gave players an option to show their experience with encounter. beside how would that work with titles (cm groups)  or other unusual stuff thats sometimes is required for specific cases?  or "doing x for y collection"

and that better accessibility is... auto lfg finder? some people suggested it, SoftFootpaws included. how would that work with special roles like 0-2 tanks (depending on encounter)/handkite/pylon/Sabetha cannons/Mursaat 3 special roles/ Dhuum add kiter etc etc.

Actually there have been some very basic requests from the author. Give raid squad owner all the group management tools that a commander tag has. 

I would add a few very basic accessibility ones. Don't hide the LFG in a submenu a new player barely finds and give a direct keybind to it. 

Introduce LFG tool to a new player early on, organically, maybe through preset groups for new players.. I just started a new mmo lately. There is a new player quest line. You know what it does? On like step 3 it pushes you into a basic strike mission (not much different to normal IBS strikes in this game difficulty wise). You barely know the game and you already complete your first strike mission. That wall to instance content that alot of players struggle to climb in this game? You climb it before you even know it exists.

Remember my open tab choices, let me pin several tabs at once.

Give me a simple non intrusive overlay frame ingame where I can pin my LFG tab choices so I can check my LFG tabs while playing the game without having to have a huge UI panel in the middle of the screen.

Let me have party frames for full 10 man squad UI. I want that one so badly.

Let me teleport into my squad instance from anywhere in the world.

A guild advertisement board that doesn't require someone to be online.

And lastly role presets. They dont need to be as part of auto lfg, they dont need to be set in advance. Let me open as a group owner specific roles (bald asura with pink pants if I see it fit) and let people apply for specific spots in the group. So I dont need to keep what everyone does in my head (or paper) because they just apply to it. Also colour coding. That by itself would do a lot. So I can color code specific squad spots. Makes job a lot easier. We had IRC pickup bots in the past that did that and a lot more (like link ventrilo server and psw...).

I am actually not against auto lfg either (not as a replacement but addition). But a good one, not the kitten they did with strike public instance. Normal strikes, early fractal tiers, dungeons. Completely viable. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

its no wonder arenanet ignores most of the feedback provided here, since its just the same players derailing threads repeatedly away from discussion of why a problem exists into a gaslighting discussion about how the problem doesn't exist and everyone else just needs to do better somehow.

who are they supposed to listen to, who are they supposed to believe?

It's interesting how most people above your post addressed what the thread is about, meanwhile you come and make a meta commentary how other people derail the thread while at the same time you addressed nothing on-topic. It's not "derialing" or "gaslighting" just because someone says something you dislike on the same topic you want to complain about. Stop misusing words, while actively avoiding discussion on-topic.

4 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Why ppl always think that GW2 is special and no other MMO exist.

As per title of this thread, OP is talking about raids. 

But then again, there's multiple complaints in the first post and apparently whatever I initially addressed "wasn't it" (despite still being about what OP wrote), instead it seems it's not even about lfg as much as it's about group ownership, because either:
a) OP tags up and "is expected to organize everything" when he doesn't want to (except if he -by his own words- thinks roles/boons aren't needed then he can organize group without using them and people with similar expectations will join) or
b) OP doesn't tag up and someone surely steals his group to... do another wing? I mean I do know sometimes groups get merged, but it doesn't seem to be that often, especially when it's "to do another wing", considering the chance is rather small people chose wing1, but suddenly will want to do wing 4 despite not joining that group by themselves.
How is anything about lfg supposed to fix any of that?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Introduce LFG tool to a new player early on, organically

LFG tool is introduced to the player basically when it's first useful in the game, which is the moment (or level before? I don't remember) they reach the first dungeon level requirement.

Not much against moving lfg out of friendlist tab window, but I also don't see the current form as an issue. It's probably mostly an issue for people who skip tutorials.

Edited by Sobx.1758

6 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

LFG tool is introduced to the player basically when it's first useful in the game, which is the moment (or level before? I don't remember) they reach the first dungeon level requirement.

Not much against moving lfg out of friendlist tab, but I also don't see the current form as an issue. It's probably mostly an issue for people who skip tutorials.

Dont forget that you also get a pop up when you try to enter a dungeon solo pointing you to it.

1 hour ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Actually there have been some very basic requests from the author. Give raid squad owner all the group management tools that a commander tag has. 

thats not really LFG issue, but how party/squad works ingame. i did mention this in my first post and i agree that raid "leader" should have more control over group. same with squad merging and other annoying stuff.

Introduce LFG tool to a new player early on, organically, maybe through preset groups for new players.. I just started a new mmo lately. There is a new player quest line. You know what it does? On like step 3 it pushes you into a basic strike mission (not much different to normal IBS strikes in this game difficulty wise). You barely know the game and you already complete your first strike mission. That wall to instance content that alot of players struggle to climb in this game? You climb it before you even know it exists.

the thing is, almost all instanced content in gw2 was created with max lvl in mind. you barely get any xp for mob kills and leveling is done by completing map objectives (hearts, events etc.) because of that its hard to introduce new players to lfg, tho they do that at lvl 80. its how core game was designed, run all over the world complete meta events etc. is that good? debatable. can this be changed? nope

I would add a few very basic accessibility ones. Don't hide the LFG in a submenu a new player barely finds and give a direct keybind to it. 

Remember my open tab choices, let me pin several tabs at once.

Give me a simple non intrusive overlay frame ingame where I can pin my LFG tab choices so I can check my LFG tabs while playing the game without having to have a huge UI panel in the middle of the screen.

Let me teleport into my squad instance from anywhere in the world.

A guild advertisement board that doesn't require someone to be online.

these are all general UI changes. 

1. entire upper left menu could use some refreshment. lfg could be separated, sure. i could see it being merged with auto-lfg for dungeons and drm (not fractals or strikes tho)
  2. pinning several tabs? i dont remember any game that has something like that. in some you can queue up to 2-3 instances at once, but browse? i dont think thats even possible (technical issues)
  3. you can move lfg tab far to left/right to barely see it. pinning is unnecesary, it would be enough if hiding window didnt wipe your search so you can easily close and reopen window and see if any new group appeared. and you definitely dont need several tabs for that, noone is looking at the same time for raids and strikes and fractals, oh and maybe few meta-events as well.
  4. fair enough. i completly agree that on visual side all of the gw2 UI could be improved a lot, party/raid windows as well
  5. oh no, definitely not. teleport to instance would be abused to hell. besides its most of the time just skipping 1 loading screen, that doesnt justify the change. 
  6. i dont think this one is needed. i have seen it in mmos and its ignored feature... if you want active guild to play with, you are going to join their discord or whatever anyway. if you look for active guild you look for guild thats advertising etc.   from oficer pov you are more likely to get /w from random dude after doing dungeon with them than from some offline guild board.  based on my experience it was just useless

And lastly role presets. They dont need to be as part of auto lfg, they dont need to be set in advance. Let me open as a group owner specific roles (bald asura with pink pants if I see it fit) and let people apply for specific spots in the group. So I dont need to keep what everyone does in my head (or paper) because they just apply to it. Also colour coding. That by itself would do a lot. So I can color code specific squad spots. Makes job a lot easier. We had IRC pickup bots in the past that did that and a lot more (like link ventrilo server and psw...).

I am actually not against auto lfg either (not as a replacement but addition). But a good one, not the kitten they did with strike public instance. Normal strikes, early fractal tiers, dungeons. Completely viable. 

it was already mentioned multiple times, that gw2 has too many different roles (some of them created by community, like handkite) making it impossible to incorporate that in lfg. it would create even bigger mess and make lfg even less accessible (imagine new player seeing 5 different roles, neither of them being dps). such solutions are good for games that have standard tank-heal-dps approach. entire gw2 would have to change to make it somehow fit

auto-lfg would be perfect for any content that can by cleared regardless of boons, so currently dungeons and drm.

also honestly if you want any grand changes to how lfg functions, boon system would have to be changed first so "less meta" group is not doing 30% of max dps.

Edited by Nimris.3781

12 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Guess they would have to make it scalable based on the screen size cause 10 people would never fit on a smaller screen.
Though it totally could work on today's regular screensize.

12 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

nd lastly role presets. They dont need to be as part of auto lfg, they dont need to be set in advance. Let me open as a group owner specific roles (bald asura with pink pants if I see it fit) and let people apply for specific spots in the group. So I dont need to keep what everyone does in my head (or paper) because they just apply to it. Also colour coding. That by itself would do a lot. So I can color code specific squad spots. Makes job a lot easier. We had IRC pickup bots in the past that did that and a lot more (like link ventrilo server and psw...).

This suggestion has one huge flaw and it's people. Like even today people join roles that they are not equipped to handle because they don't know their class, the game mechanics or they can't read at all. Anet would either have to implement a tool that somewhat checks whether you meet the conditions to fill that role (like if your equipped build can provide a specific boon party-wide) or not implement it at all. Not like we've had reapers joining as "necro CC" role or quick DPS.

1 hour ago, AreohCobing.5092 said:

And find out the map is qued once you join. 😕

1 hour ago, AreohCobing.5092 said:

Ok I guess it was my imagination... 😁

Are you sure you're not confusing things like world bosses with raids?

On 8/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, Kozumi.5816 said:

It's because they benefit from raids being inaccessible.

Not only they aren't really inaccessible, but the idea that  -if they were inaccessible- people talking here somehow benefit from it is just false and a terrible attempt to avoid addressing anything anyone actually says.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Not only they aren't really inaccessible, but the idea that  -if they were inaccessible- people talking here somehow benefit from it is just false and a terrible attempt to avoid addressing anything anyone actually says.

You're right, there's never a single raid sale ad in LFG! Silly me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

You're right, there's never a single raid sale ad in LFG! Silly me.

I never said there isn't a single one. But now that you established you can see a single raid sale or w/e, it means anyone talking in this thread and not blindly supporting whatever you say is somehow taking part in that? Because I know for a fact that's incorrect. So yeah, I think it is a bit silly of you to write something like that and -as already mentioned- I think you knowingly do that in order to avoid addressing anything anyone actually says.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

No no, I think Kozumi has a point. I've been looking at these instanced raid topics on the forums and it's the same folks who keep arguing against discussions for getting a better LFG in most of these posts. lol. Like there's really no benefit for you guys to just keep telling everyone who wants a new lfg "it's impossible for us to understand how it could work, so kitten off" unless you're gaining from the system the way it is or it doesn't impact you at all. Y'all don't even have any real argument other than "we don't want auto group finder" when everyone else here making their argument specifically has been saying that's not what they want. Why would that affect you anyway? Just don't queue up in it and keep doing what you do.

And to whoever keeps putting the confused faces on every single post that argues for getting a new LFG: Gaslight, Gatekeep, Girlboss you queen.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

10 minutes ago, Skylite.9180 said:

No no, I think Kozumi has a point. I've been looking at these instanced raid topics on the forums and it's the same folks who keep arguing against discussions for getting a better LFG in most of these posts. lol. Like there's really no benefit for you guys to just keep telling everyone who wants a new lfg "it's impossible for us to understand how it could work, so kitten off" unless you're gaining from the system the way it is or it doesn't impact you at all. Y'all don't even have any real argument other than "we don't want auto group finder" when everyone else here making their argument specifically has been saying that's not what they want. Why would that affect you anyway? Just don't queue up in it and keep doing what you do.

And to whoever keeps putting the confused faces on every single post that argues for getting a new LFG: Gaslight, Gatekeep, Girlboss you queen.

Cant you just try to do the daily icebrood saga strike in public and wait for 10 people to start it.

That is exactly how your auto lfg would go mate.

• Like 3