SotO Supply Drop - is it worth it?

15 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

As far as I remember none of the supply drops have had exclusive items. I might be forgetting something because I haven't gotten all of them but I think the appeal is the discount over buying the same stuff separately, not that it's the only way to get some part of the package.

Exactly. I buy all the mount packs anyway so why buy the supply drop. If these three skins end up being part of a larger pack... I guess I'll take the risk that they will only be part of a three pack that I may or may not purchase in the future. 🙂

Edited by LadyMari.7920

On 8/16/2023 at 9:31 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Totally not worth it in my book, just like all other previous Supply Drops.

The only thing in there that is of interest to me would be the /readbook emote, but I have a feeling that one will also become available in SotO itself.

Same here. And even if it didn't, I'm not coughing up this many gems for a single emote.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Kinda strange that its a raptor pack when the expansion it self heavily incentivise flying mounts.

It's because the raptor will also be something that people will be able to get right away if they have SoTO. New players won't have to go through PoF to have it, so it makes sense that they added a raptor skin on the supply drop.

13 minutes ago, leila.7962 said:

It's because the raptor will also be something that people will be able to get right away if they have SoTO. New players won't have to go through PoF to have it, so it makes sense that they added a raptor skin on the supply drop.

You're talking almost as if you didn't get an easy Skyscale unlock as one of advertised major features of this expansion pact...

• Confused 4

5 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You're talking almost as if you didn't get an easy Skyscale unlock as one of advertised major features of this expansion pact...

I'm sincerely confused about what you wrote had to do with what I wrote lol.. I just said it makes sense to have a raptor skin because people who didn't have PoF will have a raptor to use from now on. I'm not saying it was a better idea to have a raptor skin or a skyscale skin on the supply drop.

Edited by leila.7962

1 hour ago, leila.7962 said:

I'm sincerely confused about what you wrote had to do with what I wrote lol.. I just said it makes sense to have a raptor skin because people who didn't have PoF will have a raptor to use from now on. I'm not saying it was a better idea to have a raptor skin or a skyscale skin on the supply drop.

New players with SotO will have skyscale too - and unlike raptor, skyscale will actually be the mount this expansion content will revolve around.

Also, everyone with any expansion pack has a raptor, SotO is not special in this at all. Additionally, originally, according to the information many players received from support, it was not supposed to be part of that expansion at all. That original decision has changed only later - and one of the reasons why it was changed was people pointing out the ridiculousness of adding a raptor skin to expansion that does not unlock it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

For me personally it's not worth it because it lacks a Black Lion Outfit Voucher, and even more important a Black Lion Armor Voucher.

Anet has all these unlocks that give you random stuff and statuettes for other gem store items that come and go; but this supply drop would've been far more appealing if I got a voucher that would make certain I got hold of a specific piece I'm after.

A selectable cape and the rest being junk... we all know the keys will just give you revive orbs and transmutation charges and TP to a friend junk...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/18/2023 at 9:26 AM, Dondarrion.2748 said:

For me personally it's not worth it because it lacks a Black Lion Outfit Voucher, and even more important a Black Lion Armor Voucher.

Anet has all these unlocks that give you random stuff and statuettes for other gem store items that come and go; but this supply drop would've been far more appealing if I got a voucher that would make certain I got hold of a specific piece I'm after.

A selectable cape and the rest being junk... we all know the keys will just give you revive orbs and transmutation charges and TP to a friend junk...

This is how I feel as well. I really want the maid outfit.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Here is a side by side comparison with the previous EOD supply drop with price in gems. This is copied from the Wiki and I note some small cost differences with what Danikat posted. Generally, the first 7 items are the same, with the most difference in the last few items. Although the total gem price is much higher for SOTO drop, I consider them roughly equal. I bought both of these btw.

  Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket (2) N/A   Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket (2) N/A
  Heroic Booster (2) 2 x 150    Heroic Booster (2) 2 x 150 
  Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock (2) N/A   Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock (2) N/A
  Black Lion Chest Key (5) 450    Black Lion Chest Key (5) 450 
  Golden Black Lion Chest Key N/A   Golden Black Lion Chest Key N/A
  Black Lion Backpack and Glider Voucher 630    Black Lion Backpack and Glider Voucher 630 
  Black Lion Weapons Voucher 540    Black Lion Weapons Voucher 540 

  Soo-Won Dye Kit (5) 500    Seven Dragon Dye Pack (3) 3 x 400 
  Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Blue (2) 2 x ?    Communal Boost Bonfire 300 
  Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Green (2) 2 x ?     
  Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Red (2) 2 x ?     
  Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Yellow (2) 2 x ?     

  Black Lion Outfit Voucher 630    Black Lion Cape Voucher 500
  Gold Essence Weapon Choice N/A   Black Lion Finisher Voucher 450 
  Red Crane Weapon Choice 3 tickets or buy on TP  "Readbook" Emote Tome 300
  End of Dragons Expedition Contract 1000    Amnytas Feathered Raptor Mounts Pack 1600

Total 4050    Total 6270

• Confused 1

Honestly No.

On 8/18/2023 at 11:26 PM, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Agreed as some who bought into multiple of these in the past 99% of the stuff is junk, basically design to bleed gems from customers. Its generally random so most of what you get is a waste of time and money.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

This is copied from the Wiki and I note some small cost differences with what Danikat posted.

My post was done quickly, whoever made the table on the Wiki took the time to do more research. For example I used How to Dance Vol 1 to price the emote, because it was the only emote in the gem store at the time, they found the cheapest an emote had been sold for. The main difference though is they're using the price of the Black Lion vouchers from when they were sold directly, whereas I used the price of buying a cape/weapon/glider etc. individually. I think that ones also a matter of opinion, I've always thought of the vouchers as a discounted way to get the skins (basically a way for Anet to have more stuff discounted at once without overloading the store) so to me the original item price is more relevant, but both are accurate.

7 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Honestly No.

Agreed as some who bought into multiple of these in the past 99% of the stuff is junk, basically design to bleed gems from customers. Its generally random so most of what you get is a waste of time and money.

The only random items are the Guarenteed Wardrobe Unlock, the dye packs and the black lion keys. The mount pack gives you 3 specific skins and the vouchers let you choose what to get.

But that's why I did the second round of calculations in my second post counting only what I actually want and estimating the price I'd pay for it, because if there was a skin I wanted enough to pay full price I'd have bought it already and there's some things I wouldn't buy at all (like black lion keys). If you strictly when buy just the total cost of the items you don't need to add it up, it will always come to more than the supply drop costs.)

(It's something I started doing with music festivals - they're (almost) always good value for the total number of performers, but I'd add up what I'd pay to see each of the bands I actually want to see, factoring in travel costs, and only go if the festival is cheaper. I know I'll see more bands than the ones I already like and want to see live, and I'll probably like some of them, but I'm not going to pay based on that uncertainty.)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jamesg.7128 said:

Here is a side by side comparison with the previous EOD supply drop with price in gems. This is copied from the Wiki and I note some small cost differences with what Danikat posted. Generally, the first 7 items are the same, with the most difference in the last few items. Although the total gem price is much higher for SOTO drop, I consider them roughly equal. I bought both of these btw.

  Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket (2) N/A   Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket (2) N/A
  Heroic Booster (2) 2 x 150    Heroic Booster (2) 2 x 150 
  Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock (2) N/A   Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock (2) N/A
  Black Lion Chest Key (5) 450    Black Lion Chest Key (5) 450 
  Golden Black Lion Chest Key N/A   Golden Black Lion Chest Key N/A
  Black Lion Backpack and Glider Voucher 630    Black Lion Backpack and Glider Voucher 630 
  Black Lion Weapons Voucher 540    Black Lion Weapons Voucher 540 

  Soo-Won Dye Kit (5) 500    Seven Dragon Dye Pack (3) 3 x 400 
  Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Blue (2) 2 x ?    Communal Boost Bonfire 300 
  Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Green (2) 2 x ?     
  Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Red (2) 2 x ?     
  Fine Black Lion Dye Canister—Yellow (2) 2 x ?     

  Black Lion Outfit Voucher 630    Black Lion Cape Voucher 500
  Gold Essence Weapon Choice N/A   Black Lion Finisher Voucher 450 
  Red Crane Weapon Choice 3 tickets or buy on TP  "Readbook" Emote Tome 300
  End of Dragons Expedition Contract 1000    Amnytas Feathered Raptor Mounts Pack 1600

Total 4050    Total 6270

That being said, I just calculate the value of what I actually want/need and then the calculation becomes very different. For example, I only very rarely use the raptor so I couldn't care less about the skins. I don't care about the heroic boosters etc. If you want everything in the supply drop then it's a pretty good deal I guess (considering Anet sets the gem prices for all the items as they see fit) but if you don't want a lot of this stuff then you probably are better off ignoring this. 

But I would strongly suggest putting these items in 3 categories: really want, it's ok and don't want/care. Then see if this is really worth spending 30 bucks on. I mean, hell, it's more expensive than the expansion itself lol.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:58 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

My post was done quickly, whoever made the table on the Wiki took the time to do more research. For example I used How to Dance Vol 1 to price the emote, because it was the only emote in the gem store at the time, they found the cheapest an emote had been sold for. The main difference though is they're using the price of the Black Lion vouchers from when they were sold directly, whereas I used the price of buying a cape/weapon/glider etc. individually. I think that ones also a matter of opinion, I've always thought of the vouchers as a discounted way to get the skins (basically a way for Anet to have more stuff discounted at once without overloading the store) so to me the original item price is more relevant, but both are accurate.

The only random items are the Guarenteed Wardrobe Unlock, the dye packs and the black lion keys. The mount pack gives you 3 specific skins and the vouchers let you choose what to get.

But that's why I did the second round of calculations in my second post counting only what I actually want and estimating the price I'd pay for it, because if there was a skin I wanted enough to pay full price I'd have bought it already and there's some things I wouldn't buy at all (like black lion keys). If you strictly when buy just the total cost of the items you don't need to add it up, it will always come to more than the supply drop costs.)

(It's something I started doing with music festivals - they're (almost) always good value for the total number of performers, but I'd add up what I'd pay to see each of the bands I actually want to see, factoring in travel costs, and only go if the festival is cheaper. I know I'll see more bands than the ones I already like and want to see live, and I'll probably like some of them, but I'm not going to pay based on that uncertainty.)

I still personally don't think its worth the gems.