Istan Griffon Master - Impossible

Three things that I figured out when doing this course.

1. Diving in long bursts is fine but I find diving in short bursts, rising, or flapping lowers speed. (Of course when you have to flap or rise you have to flap or rise) 

2. Initial dive in the caverns is faster but I was able to make it on the second opportunity and I found it slightly less difficult timing wise.

3. As Shuzuru.3651 said in his post it is mandatory to flap while diving to maintain full speed.

Remember there is multiple different ways to get good on this course you don't have to follow the guide to get gold.

That is what helps me and I hope it helps you as well.

Edited by Infinity.2876
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Beleron.9347 said:

I think I'm in the mood to write some poetry. I shall start like this:

Upon your griffon you sit

You'd race with it if you could

Now let's see, I need something that rhymes with "sit", and something that rhymes with "could"... Any ideas?

Merely chomping at the bit

You'd rise above the clouds, if it would.

16 hours ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

Did EXACTLY the same dive, like 50 different times, can't get the speed to go up again after 2 check points. It's literally impossible. I don't understand how you keep up speed.

As evident by many people doing it, it literally is possible. You might be clipping something on the way, which makes you lose the speed. It's enough to lightly graze something, so you might not exactly even notice it and yet you'll lose enough speed to be unable to go back up.

Not impossible. In fact a lot of people seem to be far faster than required for god. Otherwise I can't explain how I do not even get into the top 1000 (permanent ladder not the daily one) even with managing gold. 😄 (There can't have been bugs everywhere like in the Wintersday map where you could to the race and it counted only 20 seconds or so - on a map with huge lag some yeras ago.)

I know for the beetle there are even guilds that focus on this. So ... not unusual - and I think the gold times are okay. (They should not make it any harder though ... just to cater to a handful of players that like to really optimize and optimize their times by playing mainly that content.)

I remember I had trouble with the griffon every year when doing it for festival of the four winds - since the keys are mapped differently than the Skyscale (mainly used nowadays). When I did the griffon for the normal achievement sin PoF and S4 ... it got a bit easier with training. Some maps I still needed a lot of time. Best to stay at one map - then you can get the course a bit into the "muscle memory" which might be harder if you switch between the different adventures all the time.

Brisbane beetle race was the hardest imo - from the beetle/griffon stuff. (Since beetle racing course is longer and harder to learn/train therefore.)

21 hours ago, Sparetent.9756 said:

Watched a guide: 

Did EXACTLY the same dive, like 50 different times, can't get the speed to go up again after 2 check points. It's literally impossible. I don't understand how you keep up speed.

This course was tough, but far from impossible. I think I'd enjoy the griffon courses quite a bit if I could get a good controller setup to play that way.

ooo....You can flap on the way up for the extra height you need. That was was helped me get over that part (it's at the 21 sec mark in the video).

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Flap while diving to get super speed. Flap while climbing to get extra height. 

Dont use your attack (1) button to dive, use dedicated dive button it has shorter animation. 

The second is not mandatory for gold, it just gives you better precision, altitude control. The first is mandatory for most golds or even completions. 

• Like 1

It’s not impossible. I managed it and I’m not great at these things. It’s def hard though and I find with the griffon things aren’t always consistent n how it works. Do make sure you use the dive and not the swoop. The swoop (skill 1) has a longer active time, whilst dive (skill 4?) is more flexible in diving and pulling up immediately to keep speed. I think I was at it for an hour before I did it.