Who here is ready for all their favorite runes to get deleted in the name of progress?

I'm pretty sure that since you can now use them on any stat combo, most or all existing runes are going to get deleted. Speed runes, antitoxin runes etc. Good example is zephyrite. A good rune that got changed to something that is basically useless know.

I would love to get proved wrong but... Guess we'll find out in 24 hours.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

Who here is ready for all their favorite runes to get deleted in the name of progress?

I'm pretty sure that since you can now use them on any stat combo, most or all existing runes are going to get deleted. Speed runes, antitoxin runes etc. Good example is zephyrite. A good rune that got changed to something that is basically useless know.

I would love to get proved wrong but... Guess we'll find out in 24 hours.

They said all runes currently in the game are staying. Or do you mean "deleted" by the players who have them?

In any case, I would have liked to have a rune preview in advance. At least one post said "let the theorycrafting begin", but that can't happen with no idea what the runes or relics will look like after tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

I thought it was something like half of them getting deleted. But I havent really kept track of this expansion.

It was specifically said that all runes will remain in the game. But all the non-numerical bonuses will be moved. Which is mostly the level 6 bonuses, but some runes have them elsewhere too. So those will have to be reworked. I'm guess runes that have the same 1-5 bonuses will just be slightly different in their 6th ones now, to technically have them be unique.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Well, the fact that they change zephyrite rune bonus is a bad sign. Unless they are going to make a new one with the old bonus under a different name. (Which makes 0 sense) The fact that they did that makes me think they are going to nerf/remove a lot of runes bonuses.

Edit: I read that FAQ, and I only see where they are talking about stat bonuses, not the special bonuses.

Edited by Zebulon.1850
Read faq
  • Like 2
  • Confused 7

36 minutes ago, Rhansem.4865 said:

All the runes will remain but not all 6th tier bonuses will be there at launch. 

Well then technically some are getting deleted and we rely on the good graces of Anet to add them back again at some undisclosed future time. Just like the legendary runes. 

But you'll have to excuse me, coming from the depths of the WvW forum I assume that will never happen - I keep forgetting this is PvE. PvE actually get things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Learn all about the expansion's newest equipment slot.

EDIT: Below are some answers to frequently asked questions. We may add more as we keep an eye on this thread and see questions we are able to answer at this time.

• Will you be retiring any runes (due to duplicates or otherwise)?
    • No. All of the existing rune sets will have unique stat combinations and none of them will be removed.

11 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well then technically some are getting deleted and we rely on the good graces of Anet to add them back again at some undisclosed future time. Just like the legendary runes. 

But you'll have to excuse me, coming from the depths of the WvW forum I assume that will never happen - I keep forgetting this is PvE. PvE actually get things. 

Edited by Parasite.5389

Why keep quoting this:

• No. All of the existing rune sets will have unique stat combinations and none of them will be removed.

That has nothing to do with why I posted this thread. Stats are pretty much irrelevant to the issue in question. I'm talking about special bonuses, like removing extra condition on cleanse, or might on weakness.

They've already shown they are willing to change existing ones without any reason given.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

Why keep quoting this:

That has nothing to do with why I posted this thread. Stats are pretty much irrelevant to the issue in question. I'm talking about special bonuses, like removing extra condition on cleanse, or might on weakness.

They've already shown they are willing to change existing ones without any reason given.

ALL runes will only have Stats

12 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

ALL runes will only have Stats

I really wish people would read the main post of a thread... my entire point is that by making runes only have stats, they now have to delete/nerf most or all existing special bonuses for runes. And we already have examples of this.

Seems like the entire rune/relic change is just because Anet wants something new, not something better.

• Like 5
  • Confused 6

17 minutes ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

I really wish people would read the main post of a thread... my entire point is that by making runes only have stats, they now have to delete/nerf most or all existing special bonuses for runes. And we already have examples of this.

Seems like the entire rune/relic change is just because Anet wants something new, not something better.

they aren't deleting anything. They are possibly "nerfing" some, depending on how you look at it. Stats will get moved around some on the rune sets though.

2 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

You keep saying "rune" when really you are asking about "relic." Thus, getting responses in relation to the runes.

This is likely the issue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

For not inteligent ppl: it's like 7 runes now, but you can swap 7th rune("relict") like you want, that have old 6th rune effect

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is one of the changes the expansion is bringing that I am looking forward to. One of the gaming mags that got an advance look at SotO posted some of the new relics and they sounded pretty wild. It's gonna be fun playing around with them..

• Relic of the Citadel: After using an elite skill, call down an artillery strike on the skill target or nearest enemy that inflicts stun.
  • Relic of the Krait: After using an elite skill, emit a wave of corruption that inflicts damaging conditions.
  • Relic of the Nightmare: After using an elite skill, send forth a nightmare pulse that inflicts fear and poison on nearby enemies.
  • Relic of the Zephyrite: Summon crystals that apply protection and resolution to allies after using an elite skill. Crystal duration scales with the recharge of the used skill.
  • Relic of the Wizard's Tower: After using an elite skill, shield yourself with a projectile-reflecting barrier while summoning a wave that pulls enemies towards you.
  • Relic of Cerus: Upon using an elite skill, summon an Eye of Cerus that emits a rotating line attack, dealing damage and converting boons into conditions.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

This is one of the changes the expansion is bringing that I am looking forward to. One of the gaming mags that got an advance look at SotO posted some of the new relics and they sounded pretty wild. It's gonna be fun playing around with them..

Thnx for the link.

I dislike all of the "After using an elite skill" activations. The article says there will be non-elite activation abilities, but that these were chosen to showcase because "they're flashy". Not sure what to make of that statement.

4 minutes ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

wvw unplayable, mass fear spam xD

Maybe. They also said that effects can be different in WvW and PvP. So who knows what will happen.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

What's with the drama? Just get the relic that has the special effect of your current rune set, equip it and you've lost nothing.

Sure, maybe not every single niche rune effect will be covered. But I'm quite certain you'll find some relic with something similar enough or better than what you have currently as the 6th rune effect. Dunno why you would require that superspeed bonus from the Zephyrite runes, but maybe you'll get it back as a Relic. Or alternatively if there's a relic with the runes of speed effect that pretty much turns swiftness into superspeed for you, which is easier to upkeep than superspeed anyways if you're not on Scrapper.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Chyro.1462 said:

What's with the drama? Just get the relic that has the special effect of your current rune set, equip it and you've lost nothing.

Sure, maybe not every single niche rune effect will be covered. But I'm quite certain you'll find some relic with something similar enough or better than what you have currently as the 6th rune effect. Dunno why you would require that superspeed bonus from the Zephyrite runes, but maybe you'll get it back as a Relic. Or alternatively if there's a relic with the runes of speed effect that pretty much turns swiftness into superspeed for you, which is easier to upkeep than superspeed anyways if you're not on Scrapper.

We've no little idea which of the 6th bonus effects are going to make it. So many of us will in fact lose something, somewhere. I like my golemancer runes currently. I doubt the summon golem effect will make it through the process (going from 100 rune options to 40 relics options to start [core relics-wise]).

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

If you actually used the correct terms, people would understand you.

No runes are being deleted, the special effects that are going to Relics are coming in and we have to see which arrive and which don't.

Likely we'll see some trim of similar bonuses and end up with "Summon, Passive, Elite skill use, etc" type relics.

2 hours ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

For not inteligent ppl: it's like 7 runes now, but you can swap 7 rune("relict") like you want, that have old 6 rune effect

You mean only having 7 unique effects instead of the 70 or so effects we have now?

If they did that, that would be a massive mistake. Surely you don't mean this.

• Confused 3

49 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

You mean only having 7 unique effects instead of the 70 or so effects we have now?

If they did that, that would be a massive mistake. Surely you don't mean this.

They (Noah) seems to be equating the new Relic to the 7th "rune" in their example. But for anyone who has been up to date with this coming change, that sort of mixing and matching of terms is somewhat grating. It is also possible English isn't their first language.

• Confused 3