Rune effects that didn't get Relics

coro.3176

Its soto..... we get less not more. Lets pay for an xpac we dont even get all upfront. Lets have our runes screwed up with relics. Lets not even get any new elite specs. Lets just reuse stuff to make some cheap content without having to create very much new stuff. Yeah. It was rushed. I still do not see why they would release soto. Its 1/4 of an xpac and a bata.
Yes they rushed it. That is obvious. Look at what they have produced in the past. 
Why do they get away with it? Because there aint really many NEW mmorpg worth playing. Many have new content like wow... ff14... eso.... but nothing new. If a new mmorpg had came out like riot games mmorpg for example. Who would have actually bought soto by now? I would have waited until the xpac was actually FINISHED and bought the finished product. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 6:33 AM, Teknomancer.4895 said:

@Zhaid Zhem.6508

It's almost as if they rushed the expac out the door to meet some arbitrary corporate schedule (*cough* 2023-09-30 Q3 financial statement *cough*), whether it was ready or not.

This guy gets it. Especially at this stage in a games life.

Heart of Thorns was a kittening INCREDIBLE expansion. I played End of Dragons and could immediately tell how low quality it was. Haven't played GW2 in over 2 years but I bet the newest expansion is the same. Not that it's a bad thing - it's GOOD that the game still gets updates like this. But to think that any developers really give a care about anything in this game, like for REAL real... they just don't. They're just employees that go to work and get paid everyday like the rest of us. They don't even own the game. So to care deeply about it would be sad. NCSoft can implement MtX garbage whenever they want. And quite frankly, I'm surprised that the wizards vault thing isn't that so far. Worries me from memories of RuneScapes EoC downfall with the Squeal of Fortune.

If you think about it, developers for MMOs actually have a kind of annoying job. It would be easier to just change careers and just do games that are a one and done deal with no constant changes and updates. Players get emotionally involved in MMOs and I think it's because a majority are young of age - while the employees at the office who work on said game probably NEVER visit the "forum" and just say hello to each other every day and have their coffee and donuts.

1 hour ago, Ruufio.1496 said:

This guy gets it. Especially at this stage in a games life.

Heart of Thorns was a kittening INCREDIBLE expansion. I played End of Dragons and could immediately tell how low quality it was. Haven't played GW2 in over 2 years but I bet the newest expansion is the same. Not that it's a bad thing - it's GOOD that the game still gets updates like this. But to think that any developers really give a care about anything in this game, like for REAL real... they just don't. They're just employees that go to work and get paid everyday like the rest of us. They don't even own the game. So to care deeply about it would be sad. NCSoft can implement MtX garbage whenever they want. And quite frankly, I'm surprised that the wizards vault thing isn't that so far. Worries me from memories of RuneScapes EoC downfall with the Squeal of Fortune.

If you think about it, developers for MMOs actually have a kind of annoying job. It would be easier to just change careers and just do games that are a one and done deal with no constant changes and updates. Players get emotionally involved in MMOs and I think it's because a majority are young of age - while the employees at the office who work on said game probably NEVER visit the "forum" and just say hello to each other every day and have their coffee and donuts.

SOTO is a pretty good expansion so far. Better than I expected. We can't say for certain, since it's still rolling out, but I had a blast at the first release, and I'm still mostly going strong (with a brief break for BG3). The story was fresh with some new characters, rather than hanging on to old friends whose stories had run their courses. The new maps all have their own charm and some fun secrets or easter eggs. The weapon mastery system opened up neat new options and builds after an expected balance hiccup for a week or two. The new vault rewards keep on giving. Some really slick new skins came out of it too, and ascended gear for dailies and weeklies? Hell yeah. The new weapons coming out soon showed real promise during beta. Some were better than others though, and I hope the devs implement our feedback.

That said, yeah, there were rushed ideas and content, most strikingly the relic system. Cool idea, but it's just not fleshed out enough. It really should have been put back on the shelf until it's ready. The rifts feel underdeveloped and repetitive to me. The story on the second release was... wayyyy too short and the map was incomplete.

Edited by Gaiawolf.8261

To be honest, I was quite confused when I have seen the relics. Along the usual suspects, the ones that were used in almost every build in the game, they also decided to remove the obscure/weird ones. There were a lot of rune only a few people in the game actually used. Not because the runes were bad, mostly because utilizing them required you to work outside the meta. They did not hurt anyone, neither did they break any mechanic or were responsible for some seriously overpowered builds.

For example the Rune of the Fire, the rare and exotic variants. One of those people instantly trashed/sold/salvaged when they have obtained one. Never relevant for the meta, but it was an excellent Open World rune. The rare version gave the player a Fire Aura whenever they entered combat, without an internal cooldown. Given how Open World worked, you had the aura in almost every encounter. Fire Aura applies burning to enemies which attack you and grants you might, helping people to dispose of trash encounters quickly. The exotic variant went a step further and granted players a + 10 % damage increase for the duration of the aura.

That + 10 % damage increase looks tempting, but maintaining 100 % uptime of Fire Aura is a chore and you lose more DPS than you gain from the bonus if you try. If you had an additional Fire Aura source in your build, great. The rare rune was excellent for leveling builds, because it was one of the 3 (?) rare runes that granted a special ability at all. The exotic variant delivered amazing results in Open World exploration, map-completion and also meta-events. But again, never relevant for the meta.

I don't get it. What problems did this rune cause to the balance-team? Most of the runes people list in these threads had little to no impact to the balancing. The summons were gimmicky at best. Vampire rune was another PvE only thing but didn't even cause any offensive side-effect. Removed in favor of a cheap and wonky relic system that seems to be even more difficult to balance than the old rune-system.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2024 at 3:44 AM, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

I don't get it. What problems did this rune cause to the balance-team?

The problem was the balance team would have to spend effort to make the 70% of the rune effect roster not missing.

We can't have that.

Edited by XenoSpyro.1780

On 1/20/2024 at 5:44 AM, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

I don't get it. What problems did this rune cause to the balance-team? Most of the runes people list in these threads had little to no impact to the balancing. The summons were gimmicky at best. Vampire rune was another PvE only thing but didn't even cause any offensive side-effect. Removed in favor of a cheap and wonky relic system that seems to be even more difficult to balance than the old rune-system.

I'd actually argue the new rune system is more easy to balance primarily because it's more bland. As for relics, those are also probably easier to balance too because they can just remove problematic ones or replace problematic effects with more bland effects. It sux, honestly.

• Thanks 1