The Rift Hunter set looks the same on all armor weights

In the July 27th news update, titled "New Rewards in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure" Arenanet said:

The first, the Astral Ward armor, is thematically tied to the story of Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure and shares the same appearance for all three armor weights. The second set, Rift Hunter’s armor, has unique looks for each weight.

Unless the wardrobe storage is bugged, that was a straight up lie, because all the armor weighs look the same. What a disappointment. https://imgur.com/a/SdHSsd7

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bazs.1470 said:

In the July 27th news update, titled "New Rewards in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure" Arenanet said:

Unless the wardrobe storage is bugged, that was a straight up lie, because all the armor weighs look the same. What a disappointment. https://imgur.com/a/SdHSsd7

Does the Astral Ward armor also look the same? It could be they got them backwards in the article. 

Yep, both new armor sets look the same on all weight, unless the wardrobe preview is bugged. I wonder what else was a lie as well in the promises they made, unless it turns out this is a bug or oversight.

Edited by Bazs.1470
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I wouldn't feel bad about it either if this is what they would have promise in the blogpost. But we have a metric ton of outfits, so please like, can we get proper armors that have an identity when it comes to look/weight, at least 1 per expansion (not counting the obsidian armor now that they come in some future patch).

• Like 4

• ArenaNet Staff

I appreciate you bringing this up. We looked into it, and there was an internal mixup that led to inaccurate information being published in the blog post from June. It is intended that the Rift Hunter's armor, like the Astral Ward armor, looks the same across all weights. The blog has been updated in English (with other languages to follow), including a note about the update, to avoid confusion. Our apologies for the miscommunication, and thank you again for bringing it up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 6

17 minutes ago, Cephorin.3902 said:

Content with minimal effort... and then spread false information?

I actually expect something like that from Blizzard... but from you... it's a shame.

Some people are happy that its a all weight armor set. I'm one of them. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

I appreciate you bringing this up. We looked into it, and there was an internal mixup that led to inaccurate information being published in the blog post from June. It is intended that the Rift Hunter's armor, like the Astral Ward armor, looks the same across all weights. The blog has been updated in English (with other languages to follow), including a note about the update, to avoid confusion. Our apologies for the miscommunication, and thank you again for bringing it up.

Has anyone tried to figure out what systems are leading to this kind of thing?

It's not the first time in recent memory. The video that showed mount skins that wouldn't be included for last year's anniversary, for example.

It seems like there's an information flow problem from the design teams to marketing, or perhaps a lack of oversight double checking before things are released.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Raseus.2543 said:

I'm happy for you that you like it. To be honest, I would also like to have one or the other part for another armor class.

But that doesn't change the fact that this time the additional work of creating four more designs was saved. We are talking about two armor sets. For me, that's less effort, which runs through the whole expansion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

57 minutes ago, Cephorin.3902 said:

I'm happy for you that you like it. To be honest, I would also like to have one or the other part for another armor class.

But that doesn't change the fact that this time the additional work of creating four more designs was saved. We are talking about two armor sets. For me, that's less effort, which runs through the whole expansion.

So you think instead of a honest mistake that happened, anet deceived us and just started working on the armor after releasing the information and didn't manage to get the armor ready in time and instead put the effort into making one skin work on all weights? 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I'll agree, this "expansion" feels meh.  I did enjoy the story (it felt short though) but they literally make armor skins left and right in the gem store. Making unique skins for each weight should be easy. Also as far as the price of the base "expansion" goes $24.99 while EoD is $29.99 which comes out to a little over 80% of the cost. If I'm paying 80% of the cost I expect an expansion that's 80% of the same size as it's predecessors. I'm not even sure we got 50% when you see them re-using skins across multiple weights, have half the maps, no elite specializations, took out many interesting rune choices (the 6th slot), gave us masteries that while they bring something new don't bring anything original you just expanded on masteries that were already there. When I play most games I typically figure about a $1 (which this game should have came out to at least 25 hours of main story) an hour of gameplay for the main story if I'm getting my moneys worth this didn't even come out to $0.50 an hour for the main story line.

Edited by Red Haired Savage.5430
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

While I feel this makes the endgame a lot less engaging in a game that is all about fashion, I appreciate the answer and the transparency. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Raseus.2543 said:

So you think instead of a honest mistake that happened, anet deceived us and just started working on the armor after releasing the information and didn't manage to get the armor ready in time and instead put the effort into making one skin work on all weights? 

I am not implying any deception on the part of Arenanet. Only we have the case that something different was announced than what was delivered. If that was a communication error... it's just too bad. Can happen, but shouldn't.

My criticism is more that I get too much copy & paste content from this extension. Prior armor sets had three different looks - according to the armor class. Here it affects me that savings are made at all corners and edges. And that makes me uncertain for the future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Cephorin.3902 said:

Yeah maybe for the next expansion they can do even less effort and put all work on only 1 map.. it would be better right ? -.-

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 8/23/2023 at 10:43 PM, Raseus.2543 said:

I'm quite the opposite.  I want different armor weight to make everything more unique and more characteristics themes. It's so boring seeing an armor on every profession's weight type,  what's the point even?

We should just copy+paste ANet's characters so we all can wear his model's skin for our characters so that we all look and equip the same things! Great idea, right?!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I am one that is happy that all weights look the same.  I like a more cloth looking armor for my heavy classes and this is one that looks good.  And, by the way, CHARR HIDE ARMOR FROM GW1!!!!! For some reason the other day I was trying to make a charr hide looking armor on my warrior and, now, here it is!  WOOT