Gift of exploration

Hello, since the wizard vault is offering precursor for gen 1 legendary, why isnt there another way to make gift of exploration? what if i am mainly a WvW player? and dont wanna spend weeks for it? since wvw does not give gold, only way is to buy with real money..

but i have like over 500 clovers, over 10k spirit shards, over 2k obsidian shard, 10million karma, 5k wvw skirmish tickets, but nothing to be used for

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

That make work out fine for the GoE, since most of the players in the game seem to be PvE players, so them going back to old maps to get it is reasonable.  This has to be on an alternative characters - I could imagine some number of players also moved through the maps without completing them, so for right now at least, they might already have 60% world completion on those characters so finishing things up (especially with mounts) isn't that bad.

Not sure what the reaction will be when those players then need to move to WvW for the GoB.  In past with potions, you could hop in, capture a camp/ruins/kill a vet, get a potion, and over a few months, finish the reward track without actually spending much time in that mode.  Now, those players will need to farm things for participation, which also isn't hard, but also not particularly interesting.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Honestly the gift of Exploration is a good reason for people to actually do map completion, I firmly believe that if you actually enjoy the game and want to get as much as you can out of it you should do map completion at least once, I'm tired of seeing people who say they've been playing for months and can't even pinpoint Divinity's Reach on the world map. 

Although for second time around I much prefer what they've done with the lanterns in EoD. It's great for main-holics and people who can't be bothered by going through it again, I would love to see that somehow added into Core/HoT/PoF maps. 

Otherwise leave the GoE alone, it's serving it's purpose. 

And that's coming from someone who only has done map full map completion once. 

Edited by jason.1083
  • Haha 1

I obtained the Gift of Exploration twice or thrice with my first account, but then I got myself banned. With this account, I crafted Bifrost, Kraitkin, and Kamohoali'i Kotaki, only to destroy them when I left the game. Recently, I crafted Kamohoali'i Kotaki and Sunrise, and acquiring the GoE was quite a pain in the kitten, despite the ability to travel superfast and virtually one-shot everything.

So yeah, I will eventually obtain the GoE again, although I really have no need for it unless I decide to craft Twilight and create Eternity again but I definitely wouldn't mind if those can be obtained in the Vault.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

And this is what we get when the game starts to give "convenience" left and right. You start with flying mount given for free to people who just buy last expansion (I'm fine with this, as the skyscale is now required to even follow meta trains), ascended and legendary pack in the WV, then people will ask to get the gifts for free, and then you'll give legendary gears as reward for leveling up because you don't want that new players feel poor and quit. Then veteran will reach the end game and... the game is boooring, there's nothing to do. Here, go to close 1000 rifts, have fun.

The game should stop to give for free things that gave some sense of accomplishment, and replace them with boring and tedious achievements. Because if you don't want to make the game super grindy and start to give important items for free, then you must replace them with useless chore to keep the players busy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The last time I recall doing core Map complete was back when they had no mounts and there was no map overlay paths to follow (i.e. year 1&2).  I picked up the Legendary starter kit this last week and was able to get the Gift of Exploration for 3 days (Fri-Sun) of Netflix watching.  

Is it tedious?  A little.  But, I have zero complaints given how long it took me the last time I did it (months).     

• Confused 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:06 PM, Exciton.9148 said:

why isnt there another way to make gift of exploration

Why isn't there another way of getting gift of battle? I'd rather spend a week grinding in PvE than torture myself for 5 hours in PvP (by whatever name). And I can't even stop torturing myself for a bathroom break, because if I do, my reward tier goes down and I waste a lot more time ramping it up again.

• Like 1

GoE isn't bad if you do it in small pieces.  Under the old daily system, I'd have one of my characters do harvesting in the required area on a map that needs exploration - maybe spend 15 minutes doing the gathering and exploration, maybe do a heart or two in the process.  Over the course of several months, I would eventually finish off another GoE (I've done 9 characters at this point).

But if I just sat down and said I'm going to spend all my time working on the GoE, that would be really boring and tiresome.

But under the new daily system, I'm not sure how this works out - gathering nodes doesn't seem to be something that shows up every day, and while some (JP or the like) could be used, if they are far in a map one has not explored, that isn't useful either.

I really wish they would just make both GoE and GoB tradable... at least the 14 of so GoE and half stack of GoB in my storage would be put to more use then just taking up space.  I enjoy both mapping and wvw so they just sorta build up......  I would love to be able to help my newer guildmates out by saving them the frustration of getting both of those, something they complain a lot about. I don't care to make "big gold" from them either cause currently they are all but worthless to me as I have full legendary weapons done  *shrug*  

• Like 1