As a new player, this game is frustrating and confusing.

Myepic.9320

2 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

I've been playing MMOs since 2004, the start was fine for me.

Same. MMO's back then did no hand holding. GW2 has changed so much that all it does at times is spam tooltips and guides at you. I'm not against improvements, but the playerbase in general seems to have got the gist of it and it was a lot less intuitive at the start.

I'm not saying GW2 gets it right, but if there was widespread issues, there wouldn't be such a high, healthy playerbase

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Same. MMO's back then did no hand holding. GW2 has changed so much that all it does at times is spam tooltips and guides at you. I'm not against improvements, but the playerbase in general seems to have got the gist of it and it was a lot less intuitive at the start.

I'm not saying GW2 gets it right, but if there was widespread issues, there wouldn't be such a high, healthy playerbase

I can remember being glad that I could finally find guides online instead of buying them at the local bookstore.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

I'd also like to add: Don't hesitate to ask in the in-game chat (/map to ask everyone on the current map instance, /s to ask those around you) about literally anything!

To be honest, I'm afraid to ask for help — not because people won't assist, but because they assist too much 😁 If I ask for help with killing a some "challenging" champion or legendary mob, half the players on the map flock to me (literally, not figuratively). I can't even test a build on a specific mob (usually a champion in the HoT expansion location), because every passing player feels obligated to help. I've actually had to tell people NOT to assist me. No one ever just passes by when my character dies for whatever reason; they always revive me. Players collaboratively solve in-game issues — helping each other with dungeons, daily quests, puzzles, and even waiting for hours at specific locations to assist with tricky bosses or opening portals as Mesmers/Thiefs. The collective goodwill in this community is too vast to adequately describe in one or even several posts.

ArenaNet may have its ups and downs, but if there's one monumental achievement they've nailed, it's the cultivation of this extraordinary community.

Edited by Antrix.4512
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

For Trading Post/Bank/Vendor just go to PvP lobby

It's the logo with 2 swords in the top left corner

When you're done, open the PvP UI again and press leave

That will return you to where you were previously, not just the same map, but the same position

So you won't have to look for these things on the map and worry about getting back and forth

There's premium passes that offer same functionality, but with more vendors/crafting stations etc

This sort of works as a free version of that, with just the essentials

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 2

Don't let them gaslight you OP, you're not the only one who felt lost when you started playing GW2. The game does a horrible job at teaching you how to play the game, you essentially have to metagame and look for resources outside of the game to learn how to play the game. 

The defacto response here on the forums to almost all newbie questions is "Did you check the wiki???? Did you search youtube and watch 8 different videos until you got your answer??? You mean after 5 minutes you still haven't learned all the mechanics of the game???" 

Your criticism is not wrong or unwarranted. It's totally valid, so just ignore the haters. You'll have peace knowing you live rent free in their head!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15

When i was new player and was lost about goals(and theres no LS1 or HOT created yet), i just tried complete the world boss achievments, then i become addicted in these world boss trains lol... the most problematic to achiev was the Triple Trouble, then i discovered a guild doing it regurlarly.

Commander tag was rare at time, and ppl did weird stuff to fill meta maps.

I become familiarized with GW2 "culture" of LFG and map chat information.

When figuring out more achievment to do i become curious about LS2 achievs, then  i bought the LS2.

Yeah this game is unfriendly to noobs, and "pro players" don't help much: they teach u how to be a "meta farmer", not how to have a good experience of gw2. Anet heard these "pro players" don't help much either.

Once time i think Dungeons, would be the "end game content" or "intermediate", but once i jumped here with a full exo zerk gear and best stuff, get insta killed by elite level mobs.

i tried dungeons in group, but instead of challenge, i discovered the dungeons was about skip content(speed runner), LOL.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

49 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Don't let them gaslight you OP, you're not the only one who felt lost when you started playing GW2. The game does a horrible job at teaching you how to play the game, you essentially have to metagame and look for resources outside of the game to learn how to play the game. 

The defacto response here on the forums to almost all newbie questions is "Did you check the wiki???? Did you search youtube and watch 8 different videos until you got your answer??? You mean after 5 minutes you still haven't learned all the mechanics of the game???" 

Your criticism is not wrong or unwarranted. It's totally valid, so just ignore the haters. You'll have peace knowing you live rent free in their head!

Or you could you know read the level up pop ups instead of clicking them away as fast as possible.

Kinda how people did with the daily/weekly chose your tasks windwo eh?

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

This is a gaslight free zone sir, didn't you read the sign?

“The word "gaslighting" is often used incorrectly to refer to conflicts and disagreements. According to Robin Stern, PhD, co-founder of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence, "Gaslighting is often used in an accusatory way when somebody may just be insistent on something, or somebody may be trying to influence you. That's not what gaslighting is.

Some mental health experts have expressed concern that the broader use of the term is diluting its usefulness and may make it more difficult to identify the specific type of abuse described in the original definition.

In a 2022 Washington Post report, it was described as a "trendy buzzword" frequently used to describe ordinary disagreements, rather than those situations that align with the word's historical definition.”

Time to do your research on the word. Maybe you’ll learn something new. Learning is always good! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

“The word "gaslighting" is often used incorrectly to refer to conflicts and disagreements. According to Robin Stern, PhD, co-founder of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence, "Gaslighting is often used in an accusatory way when somebody may just be insistent on something, or somebody may be trying to influence you. That's not what gaslighting is.

Some mental health experts have expressed concern that the broader use of the term is diluting its usefulness and may make it more difficult to identify the specific type of abuse described in the original definition.

In a 2022 Washington Post report, it was described as a "trendy buzzword" frequently used to describe ordinary disagreements, rather than those situations that align with the word's historical definition.”

Time to do your research on the word. Maybe you’ll learn something new. Learning is always good! 

Telling someone they are the crazy one, when they are not, is a form of Gaslighting my guy. Telling someone their opinions or criticisms are invalid, are a form of gas lighting my guy. Your experience isn't everyone's experience. Your opinion isn't everyone's opinion. You may like something, such as the new player experience, but others might not. That does not mean their experience or criticism of a product is invalid. Sorry bud, but that's not how reality works. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 10

Just now, Gravitron.7982 said:

Telling someone they are the crazy one, when they are not, is a form of Gaslighting my guy. Telling someone their opinions or criticisms are invalid, are a form of gas lighting my guy. Your experience isn't everyone's experience. Your opinion isn't everyone's opinion. You may like something, such as the new player experience, but others might not. That does not mean their experience or criticism of a product is invalid. Sorry bud, but that's not how reality works. 

Quote me where they said the person is crazy. Or where they say their experience is invalid please. Many players do skip hints and tutorials in games (I am one of them and sometimes I regret I did) and giving them a hard truth is not gaslighting. Wether they did this or not remains to be known, but if they did not, their statement doesn’t involve them so how is it gaslighting? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Freya.9075 said:

Quote me where they said the person is crazy. Or where they say their experience is invalid please. Many players do skip hints and tutorials in games (I am one of them and sometimes I regret I did) and giving them a hard truth is not gaslighting. Wether they did this or not remains to be known, but if they did not, their statement doesn’t involve them so how is it gaslighting? 

What hard truth? To check the wiki?

• Confused 6

8 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

your incorrect and ironically misunderstanding what gaslighting means as you are failing to recognise that intent needs to be considered.  If you genuinely think a persons criticisms are invalid (for example they are being disingenuous) then that is not gaslighting.  Intent matters.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

your incorrect and ironically misunderstanding what gaslighting means as you are failing to recognise that intent needs to be considered.  If you genuinely think a persons criticisms are invalid (for example they are being disingenuous) then that is not gaslighting.  Intent matters.

How can you determine someone else's intent without reading their thoughts? Are you saying I can determine your intent right now?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7

1 minute ago, Freya.9075 said:

No. To read the tutorials and hints when they are shown in game. Cause if you skip that, you will struggle as a new player. That’s just how it is. Specially in mmos

If you don't skip those, you could still struggle as a new player.....is the point. The current "hints" and tutorials are bad bud. That's just the hard truth. 

• Confused 8

2 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

How can you determine someone else's intent without reading their thoughts? Are you saying I can determine your intent right now?

the person intent is their intent, my observation of that intent does not change its state.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 3

Just now, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

the person intent is their persons intent, my observation of that intent does not change its state.

In other worse, you might think their intent is XYZ, but that is not necessarily what their intent truly is?....basically, you can't truly know their intent, you can only guess?....thanks for making my point for me. And because you can't determine another human's intent, intent in this situation is irrelevant. 

The point is, you might disagree with XYZ system being bad or good or hard or easy, but that doesn't make the other person's criticism wrong or invalid. 

• Confused 6

Just now, Gravitron.7982 said:

If you don't skip those, you could still struggle as a new player.....is the point. The current "hints" and tutorials are bad bud. That's just the hard truth. 

Sure. It could be better. I agree with that. But that doesn’t change the point they made. If you do not, it will be even more confusing then if you did read it. And if they ask for help, they will receive it. That’s the beauty with mmos like gw2. The community which often goes out of their way to help new players.

And the reason I informed you about your use of the word gaslighting is because you use it wrong. That was what I was pointing out. 

• Like 4

Just now, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

havent got a clue what you just said tbh, i didn't say anything about observing intent.

What in the kitten is going on here? lol....you were literally talking about your observations of someone's intent?.......did I just walk into a kitten twilight zone here? 🤣

• Confused 5

7 hours ago, Myepic.9320 said:

Stuff I couldn't figure it out:

Find things on the map (spend 10min trying to find the icon where you pick the things you got on the auction house)
what stats to use at lvl 80
how to craft stuff (and which ones to choose)
Import a build, the paste option was always on grey

I leveled a warrior to 80 but I'm not playing anymore. This game is not welcoming new players

Yeah, Anet can be a little strange (the Build management is unintuitive) but if I can be honest, it feels like you didn't put too much effort into figuring this stuff out.  The Wiki for instance is an exceptionally helpful resource (other games should copy this from Anet).  

The forums (Players Helping Players) are a good place to ask questions too.  

I hope you stick with it, the game can feel very fun and rewarding with a little effort!

Edited by illuminati.8453
  • Like 4