Power Creep, The game is too easy [Merged]

Spike rr.7125

8 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Except it's not exactly about [that particular number], all that number is, is an easy point of reference to see a clear increase in the damage dealt by the players.

If it's too easy, don't use game's mechanics people always have been using is such a weird position to take here.

Only as weird as saying the game is too easy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 11

36 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, not at all.

Real talk,  yes it is.  If you think this game is too easy, then this game is clearly not for you. Go play something else. GW2 doesn't have to be Dark Souls or whatever other sadistic game people are into. I'll even give you some suggestions: go play the original Ninja Gaiden on NES, or the original MegaMan, or Lion King on SNES, or Ikaruga, or even player-made roms like Super Metroid Impossible.

In a world with thousands upon thousands of video game options, don't limit yourself to this game if you want a challenge. This game is fine as it is in terms of difficulty.

• Like 4
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

A game in which you can go afk and come back to discover that your pet completed multiple events for you without any player input whatsoever is a far cry from fine as it is. I am not talking about wanting Dark Souls, etc. Ive never even played those games. But when player input is irrelevant to success there is an issue in my opinion.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

44 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

A game in which you can go afk and come back to discover that your pet completed multiple events for you without any player input whatsoever is a far cry from fine as it is. I am not talking about wanting Dark Souls, etc. Ive never even played those games. But when player input is irrelevant to success there is an issue in my opinion.

Log off if you're going to afk for that long.  If you're talking about the bot farming, ArenaNet already said that is not bot farming and they will not change that. Regardless, there is more to the game than just afk farming.

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Confused 12

3 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Log off if you're going to afk for that long.  If you're talking about the bot farming, ArenaNet already said that is not bot farming and they will not change that. Regardless, there is more to the game than just afk farming.

I never mentioned, nor referred to, afk farming.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Real talk,  yes it is.  If you think this game is too easy, then this game is clearly not for you. Go play something else. GW2 doesn't have to be Dark Souls or whatever other sadistic game people are into. I'll even give you some suggestions: go play the original Ninja Gaiden on NES, or the original MegaMan, or Lion King on SNES, or Ikaruga, or even player-made roms like Super Metroid Impossible.

In a world with thousands upon thousands of video game options, don't limit yourself to this game if you want a challenge. This game is fine as it is in terms of difficulty.

Indeed.  Don't limit yourself.  I hear Microsoft's upcoming "TV Simulator" is generating a lot of buzz (and beeps and boops)!

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I never mentioned, nor referred to, afk farming.

Ok, then as I said just log off if you're going to be afk long enough for you to somehow get credit for many events.  It sounds like you are intentionally parking yourself in a spot that has at least one event happening through it, and you have pet on auto-agro (you can make it docile instead) with the purpose of getting credit for the events while you afk. Sounds like it's a 'problem' you are creating yourself. Also, I never said the game doesn't have issues. I said the game is fine as it is in terms of difficulty, which is what this whole thread is talking about. The author is complaining that the game is too easy, and I offered suggestions for other games, because no one should be playing a game they don't enjoy.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 13

1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

Ok, then as I said just log off if you're going to be afk long enough for you to somehow get credit for many events.  It sounds like you are intentionally parking yourself in a spot that has at least one event happening through it, and you have pet on auto-agro (you can make it docile instead) with the purpose of getting credit for the events while you afk. Sounds like it's a 'problem' you are creating yourself. Also, I never said the game doesn't have issues. I said the game is fine as it is in terms of difficulty, which is what this whole thread is talking about. The author is complaining that the game is too easy, and I offered suggestions for other games, because no one should be playing a game they don't enjoy.

We'll remember you said that (because we're petty) when the balance patch comes and they nerf your class.  Presumably, since everything is fine in the current state, it will be less-than-fine when they change it.  By the way, can I have your stuff when you leave?  You may not enjoy the brave new/old world of balanced classes, but that's no reason to let perfectly good stuff go to waste!

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Real talk, no it isn't. The game has its deliberate mechanics that it intentionally teaches the players in order for them to be able to interact with the game's content on the intended level. So those players learn to understand the game -and it's intended mechanics- they're playing for years and now... you're saying they should stop using what was clearly intended to be used because power creep caused by a wide set of additions/changes (that's still before the planned rebalance patch btw) is good or something. This is such a backwards take that I don't even understand why any of this has to be spelled out for you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I don't know who the target audience of this post is.  You're right, power creep has stripped any and all difficulty from the game, but I'm gonna be honest my dude, the difficulty that was there was never very pronounced.

Some of the hard modes are y'know, hard compared to the rest of the game, for sure, and a couple I honestly think are some of the better designed fights in MMO broadly, but overall?  Nah man.

You've had to set artificial constraints on your team for that kind of thing for a whiiiiile.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

On 9/10/2023 at 8:10 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Let's hope we get a crucifixion balance patch soon. 

Everything over 40k DPS needs to be gone. 

More like 10k dps. 

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment of this post. Power creep has played a huge role in trivializing content both old and new. I'm sure some over-performing builds will get some sort of balance in the patch, but I don't think it's going to be enough. Not by a long shot. Take RIBA, for example. Where you once needed a sizeable squad to get things done, I've been in squads with as few as 11 people and done the meta just fine. Plus, players are so powerful they can wipe out groups of like 5 or 6 mobs in seconds. So quickly, in fact, that unless you're right next to them it's nearly impossible to tag the mobs before they melt. I don't think the game needs to be overly difficult - particularly open-world events like that - but it shouldn't be this silly.

The same goes for other places in the game, but I've been doing RIBA lately so it's at the forefront of my mind. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

We'll remember you said that (because we're petty) when the balance patch comes and they nerf your class.  Presumably, since everything is fine in the current state, it will be less-than-fine when they change it.  By the way, can I have your stuff when you leave?  You may not enjoy the brave new/old world of balanced classes, but that's no reason to let perfectly good stuff go to waste!

What makes you think I'm leaving the game? I don't only play one class. Even if I were leaving, I wouldn't just give my stuff away. I would sell it, and trust me when I say you would not be able to afford my asking price. Over 11 years of work will not go cheaply.

All I said was that those who find this game too easy are clearly not enjoying the game, and they should find enjoyment in other games. I feel the game's difficulty is fine.

7 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Real talk, no it isn't. The game has its deliberate mechanics that it intentionally teaches the players in order for them to be able to interact with the game's content on the intended level. So those players learn to understand the game -and it's intended mechanics- they're playing for years and now... you're saying they should stop using what was clearly intended to be used because power creep caused by a wide set of additions/changes (that's still before the planned rebalance patch btw) is good or something. This is such a backwards take that I don't even understand why any of this has to be spelled out for you.

Every single expansion has introduced enemies that were harder to kill. That's why there has been a power creep. Do you not remember how you struggled initially with HoT mobs? PoF? IBS? EoD? Even now, I struggle to quickly kill trash mobs in my rift hunting on my main due to the scaling. I don't keep track of my dps, but I do know that it's way too low. It takes like 10 decapitates to kill one trash mob if I fight something by myself in a scaled group event.  Sometimes it crits for like 23k, but from what I've been told that is on the extremely low side and it should be closer to like 75k for a decapitate. I don't know if they were just full of kitten, but I'm convinced my damage is way too low. In particular, those little bastards that quickly roll away from you during rifts. They just have a lot of HP. I use ascended/legendary equipment with berserker and assassin stats. The only thing I don't do consistently is use food buffs/enhancements. I fail to see how that is 'too easy'. Feels like an adequate challenge to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

53 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

What makes you think I'm leaving the game? I don't only play one class. Even if I were leaving, I wouldn't just give my stuff away. I would sell it, and trust me when I say you would not be able to afford my asking price. Over 11 years of work will not go cheaply.

All I said was that those who find this game too easy are clearly not enjoying the game, and they should find enjoyment in other games. I feel the game's difficulty is fine.

Every single expansion has introduced enemies that were harder to kill. That's why there has been a power creep. Do you not remember how you struggled initially with HoT mobs? PoF? IBS? EoD? Even now, I struggle to quickly kill trash mobs in my rift hunting on my main due to the scaling. I don't keep track of my dps, but I do know that it's way too low. It takes like 10 decapitates to kill one trash mob if I fight something by myself in a scaled group event.  Sometimes it crits for like 23k, but from what I've been told that is on the extremely low side and it should be closer to like 75k for a decapitate. I don't know if they were just full of kitten, but I'm convinced my damage is way too low. In particular, those little bastards that quickly roll away from you during rifts. They just have a lot of HP. I use ascended/legendary equipment with berserker and assassin stats. The only thing I don't do consistently is use food buffs/enhancements. I fail to see how that is 'too easy'. Feels like an adequate challenge to me.

You do know that you can't sell it for real money right so your point about selling it dont make any sence.

Edit

And hp sponges is not challenging in any way just time consuming.

Edited by Linken.6345

13 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You do know that you can sell it for real money right so your point about selling it dont make any sence.

Yes, I know I could sell it for real money. It was in response to some fool asking me to give him my account because he thought I was quitting the game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

Well, if you aren't going to leave if they balance the classes, then what are we debating?  Maybe things are fine as they are and they'll be fine after the balance patch, too.  Seems to me the latter case is preferrable as you apparently won't be bothered by the resolution if the others get what they want.  It's a win all around!

If you're saying it would bother you but you still wouldn't leave because "11 years, blah blah blah", what makes you think the people you're talking to don't also have time invested and simply wish to see the game improved?

On 9/22/2023 at 3:00 AM, Ashen.2907 said:

A game in which you can go afk and come back to discover that your pet completed multiple events for you without any player input whatsoever is a far cry from fine as it is.

That does not happen. The best you can hope for is for that pet to give you a participation in the events other players completed.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Every single expansion has introduced enemies that were harder to kill.

No, not really.

Do you not remember how you struggled initially with HoT mobs? PoF? IBS? EoD?

HoT compared to core was indeed a jump in difficulty. The rest was not. So to respond your 4 questions in this quote, in order: yes, no, no, no.
EoD (pre-eod?) balance patch intentionally nerfed existing easy sustain options, maybe that's why you think the mobs were somehow harder. 🙄

Even now, I struggle to quickly kill trash mobs in my rift hunting on my main due to the scaling.

Trying to include scaling to claim something got easier or harder is extremely convenient way to talk about anything, considering you have 0 control (or even exaxct knowledge unless you're in a group with all of the players and use dps meters) over how many people are around and what exactly they're doing. So no, the mobs did not get harder "because you struggle with scaled up mobs". It even gets more obvious as we progress to what you wrote next:

I don't keep track of my dps

There it is!

That nicely encapsulates your whole attempt at making an argument here.

The only thing I don't do consistently is use food buffs/enhancements. I fail to see how that is 'too easy'. Feels like an adequate challenge to me.

I don't use them either (I might use cake if I remember about it, though!), but rift pre-events just aren't challenging. Listing gear rarity here doesn't mean anything either, the gear doesn't play for you.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

So, what event exactly was completed solely by your pet while you were afking, without other players helping it along? Also, how do you know how the event was completed if you were afk?

I got a call from my boss requesting that I jump on a conference call to provide field context for a new process being rolled out from corporate that we were concerned would do more harm than good when it landed in the real world. I was on my mobile and couldnt play the game but I watched as mobs spawned to attack the outpost/town I was passing by at the moment the call came in. My warthog destroyed them without any input from me and without any other players present. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I got a call from my boss requesting that I jump on a conference call to provide field context for a new process being rolled out from corporate that we were concerned would do more harm than good when it landed in the real world. I was on my mobile and couldnt play the game but I watched as mobs spawned to attack the outpost/town I was passing by at the moment the call came in. My warthog destroyed them without any input from me and without any other players present. 

That is a good walking bacon right there.